Join Us

We are 221,200 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: liver mets question

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 1, 2007 12:46PM

evangelina wrote:

Hello all,
I am new here and I have a question perhaps someone can help me with. I was diagnosed with stage 3 bc 4 years ago and just recently (3 days) have developed pain in my right upper abdomen and back too, kinda like an ache. That's it, no other symptom. I usually give things a month before i call my onc because i seem to afflicted with so many strange symptoms anymore, also he is a great distance from my little town. Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of liver mets might be?Or if you have liver mets, how did it present? Thank you all and God Bless. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)

Posts 1 - 13 (13 total)

Jul 1, 2007 12:59PM SLICKY wrote:

Hi,i was dx with liver mets after a ct scan,after being dx with bone mets,didnt really have any symptoms i wasnt expecting any further mets from the ct scan,but looking back i did lose my appetite a bit, but other than that i didnt have any symptoms,i do get pain now,im on xeolda,which i assume is the chemo working on the cancer,the pain is achey & sometimes cramp like,your best option is to get it checked. Hope it turns out to be nothing to worry about.

Jul 1, 2007 01:02PM CalGal wrote:

Hi Evangelina -

My liver mets and unrelated kidney cancer were found when I asked for a CT Scan after being dx'd with recurr bc. No symptoms at all ... while it was a devastating dx, both were caught early.

I'm NED for bc (due to chemo and RFA - radio-frequency ablation for the liver mets) and kidney cancer due to RFA.

Right after I started a new chemo combo last August, not only did I feel like cr_p, but after I'd drink water, I had major discomfort/pain in my abdoman and lower back ... this continued for a couple weeks. Later, enroute home on a cross-country flight, I had a fever and felt even worse ... of course, we all thought it was related to either my bc or being on chemo. On my 3rd day of a 5 day hospitalization, they figured out that I had a kidney stone!

I mention that, since we always fear that our aches could be more bc, but they can certainly be things that are unrelated to bc ... and even in this case, it took a number of doctors three days to determine the cause!

How often do you see your doc for post-bc follow-up? When were your last scans?

Can you call or e-mail your doctor first and see what he/she says?

CalGal
Trip Neg, BRCA1, Mets dx 12/05 despite 2 cm tumor & clear nodes at orig dx 9/04.. Liver, lung & one bone met.

Jul 1, 2007 03:13PM katie11 wrote:

Hi there,

I didn't have any symptoms at all, but liver mets were found when I did routine scans after first being diagnosed with bc. Whilst you don't need to panic, it's probably best to get the aches and pains checked out for your own peace of mind.

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 1, 2007 04:42PM LuAnnH wrote:

If I am not mistaken, your gall bladder is near your liver. Maybe your gall bladder is acting up.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 1, 2007 05:27PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

I have had that pain for a year and a half. Had some tests done (they thought gallbladder at first) and everything seems fine. It isn't liver mets. It hasn't gotten worse in all that time, it just remains the same, comes and goes, mild discomfort.

I'm sure there's a reason for it, there's got to be, but I don't know what it is. You should talk to your doctor but don't worry, it doesn't sound like liver mets.
Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 1, 2007 09:32PM cats_love_me wrote:

It could be gall stones or kidney stones.
See your regular gp and investigate if its stones.

Wish you the best.
Connie

Jul 2, 2007 08:31AM yasmin wrote:

Thank you everyone. I will give it awhile longer and then call my onc in a week or two. So glad you guys are here and understand. My husband is SO TIRED of me telling him about my aches and pains. He doesn't do it, but I can see him mentally rolling eyes and saying "Get over it already".

Jul 2, 2007 08:43AM madreof3 wrote:

At first I didn't know that the symptoms I was gettig was related to liver mets until I seen my Onc at the regular check up. Pain started as really bad indigestion (the worst I ever had), then a couple of weeks later - pain uppper right shoulder blade (completely knocked me out). Both times I certainly did not think recurrence, I just went to regular Dr. and was prescribed pain pills and deflammatory meds. Two weeks after the last incident at my regular 6 mos ck up, Tumor markers revealed presence of cancer, later CT scans revealed location in liver.

Jul 3, 2007 11:04AM SteveJ wrote:

Others have commented on other possible causes of your discomfort.
My wife was BC free for 7 years, then got warnings through her routine blood tests, including a CA15-3 jump. Bone scan was clean but CT scan showed mets to liver and nodes. Subsequent test showed that it was BC mets, rather than liver cancer (liver cancer being worse). She turned out to have changed from estrogen receptor positive to negative, which limited her options. She started Faslodex injections, which proved ineffective, and only then did the symptoms you describe begin. They then gave her Taxol/Avastin, which reduced the tumor amazingly fast (Abraxane now seems more effective form of same basic drug with less unpleasant side effects).
It would seem unlikely to be BC returning without blood test warnings, but is surely not to be ignored!

Jul 4, 2007 09:29PM b445 wrote:

I had some discomfort in the right side. My bras felt tight after a day of work. I thought maybe some lymphodema.
Then it hurt after eating small amounts. My Dr. thought it was my gallbladder but the ultrasound showed spots on the liver. which when followed up with ct wehre confirmed. A liver biopsy confirmed it was mets.

When in doubt check with your onc. Call them they can tell you if you need to come in and get checked out.
good luck and I hope it's nothing
Smile you will surely make someone day! Dx 4/24/2007, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 5, 2007 09:13PM simeon wrote:

I had pain in my right side that lasted for several days and then disappeared for several months and then came back again (which I think was actually my gallbladder) My liver mets were diagnosed after my CMP liver enzymes were elevated and my CA 27.29 blood test kept getting higher. CT and then liver biopsy

Jul 6, 2007 04:34AM mags wrote:

Hi Evangelina, I have weird achey feelings under my ribs. I went and did an ultrasound cos I was scared too. Turns out I have a fatty liver thanks to the tamoxifen. I do a yearly ct scan and three monthly liver ultrasounds. My liver enzyme tests are getting worse but my liver is lesion free. Maybe you could do the liver enzyme tests to see if your liver is damaged and if so then an ultrasound or ct scan.
Good luck
Hugs
Mags

Jul 28, 2007 07:54AM itsybitsy wrote:

hi evangelina,

my mom had dcis and the docs later found it had mets to the liver.

she experienced bloatedness, especially nearer the stomach. That area felt hard and not soft to touch. She also noticed darker urine color and had felt full all the time. She couldn't get food down easily. Also we noticed that her face, arms were also yellowish, a sign of jaunduce.

hope that helps!

Page 1 of 1 (13 results)