Join Us

We are 220,344 members in 84 forums discussing 161,890 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: eptomeningeal disease

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 1, 2007 05:20PM

MIdb wrote:

Both the onc and the neurosurgeon say my wife's cancer has spread to the sack surrounding her brain and spinal cord. They installed a port in her skull, and she has received her first treatment through that port. I can find very little about eptomeningeal disease, or eptomeningeal cancer, and what I have found scares me to pieces. Can anyone here shed some light?

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 1, 2007 06:05PM Lauralynne wrote:

Dave-
I believe you are referring to "leptomeningeal carcinoma" or meningeal carcinoma. I wish I could help you more, but perhaps if you "google" it, you will find some helpful information.
Best of luck to you both.

Laura
Dx 02/06 IDC, 06/06 IBC, 4/9 positive nodes, grade 3, triple neg, Stage IV.

Jul 1, 2007 06:36PM LuAnnH wrote:

I think that is what Shelli was treated for. Read the thread about Shelli on this forum and you will see her posts about it. She is recovering well from this chemo.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 1, 2007 10:20PM katie11 wrote:

I am sorry you are having this terrible worry about your wife - LuAnn is right - there is another lady on these boards called Shelli who has had this same cancer spread and treatment - she is doing very well and has just recently returned from a Disney cruise with her family.

Take care,

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 2, 2007 04:37AM MIdb wrote:

You know what spelling it correctly does give you a bit more information. Also, I did read through Shelli's post. It does add a little bit more promise that Ruth may be around a while longer.

Jul 2, 2007 04:58AM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

I know someone who went through this about a year ago and is doing well. She has had mets for over ten years. I think the approach of sending the chemo directly into the central nervous system is fairly new (which may be why the stuff you are finding on the internet is so depressing) and encouraging.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)