Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Thoughts about re-starting treatment???

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 4, 2007 08:12AM

RLA13 wrote:

Hey Ladies,

I haven't done chemo since last April for my diagnoses of lung mets. In risk of repeating my long drawn out story of my septic shock infection from my port....I won't, but that is why I didn't resume any full blown treatment. I did do Herceptin on it's own and a drug study similar to Herceptin, but that is about it. I just had a scan and am getting results on Friday. Here is my thoughts....I am feeling fine, better than ever....(knock on wood) and I am just not prepared to go the chemo route right now. I am now a single Mom and need my strength to look after these amazing kids....and this is the summer and they are busy!! My onc has kept saying, "well you are not symptomatic, so why destroy you immune system". The cancer isn't out of control....but who knows what this scan will say? I would just like more time that is quality filled!!! Any thoughts, opinions???? I know I don't know the results of the scan, but I want to go into the appointment with some sense of knowing how I want to proceed...make sense?
Thank you... Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)

Posts 1 - 12 (12 total)

Jul 4, 2007 09:10AM katie11 wrote:

Hi Robyn,

Good to see you posting - have been wondering how you were getting on. I'm not sure what to say, except that, although I can understand your reluctance to start chemo again, that's all I've done since being diagnosed last year and it hasn't been nearly as bad as I expected. Ideally, it would be great if they tell you to continue with hormonals etc, but, if they do suggest chemo, it might not be as bad as you imagine or, indeed, as bad as it was for you the first time round. Different drugs effect you differently. Xeloda, for example, is an oral chemo and I have had very few side effects with that.

Let us know what you decide and good luck with the scans - I'm also being scanned this week so know how you're feeling.

Hugs,

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2007 03:17PM boobbuster wrote:

Robyn-
Here's a poem just for you. God is able, Stephanie

Cancer Free

I'm living with the image that cancer left with me.
I know the fears cancer has made me see.
I am more than what cancer had made me be.
And I will live my life totally cancer free.

Cancer is a hard battle no one should have to fight.
Tossing and turning throughout the whole night.
Trying so hard to reach toward the light.
Sometimes wanting to just give up the fight.

But we all must hang in there and be very strong.
The battle will end soon it won't take too long.
I will overcome cancer because I am strong.
With only happy thoughts nothing will go wrong.

Author Unknown

Jul 4, 2007 06:05PM WendyV wrote:

Of course it makes sense Robyn. We all want to be prepared for what we think will come next with our treatments. But I think in this case you need to take things slowly. Wait till you get your scan results, sit and talk to your onc and discuss your treatment options. Even if he suggests going back on chemo, there are chemotherapies out there that don't completely wipe out your immune system. Secondly - Herceptin is a powerful drug and can be very useful on its own, so don't discount it's effectiveness just yet! Try and relax and take things one day at a time. No matter what your onc suggests you will have time to research his suggestions, think about what is best for you and your family, and pray for guidance to make the right decision. I'll be thinking about you and praying that you get great results on Friday and can continue on with Herceptin!!! Keep us posted Robyn - and enjoy your summer with those busy kids!!!
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 5, 2007 10:58PM joanne1428 wrote:

HEy Robyn, I think your instincts and your oncs' judgement are a good choice, although of course we never really know that the exact best path is.

I do not regret the time I took off chemo, even when I was sort of stable/maybe not stable. If you feel you can continue to feel good about your choice, I think you have your answer.

You know Robyn, I have this good/weird feeling about you and your situation. I kind of wonder if that massive infection you had while having active cancer caused your body to create some antibodies to your cancer while it was creating them for the humungoid infection. It is just a theroy, and apparently very rare, but some researches say this might explain those "Miracle" cures.....

Maybe you are a "Miracle"...... That's how I think of you, anyway.

J

P.S. Don't worry about your immunce system, I think you'll be first one at the "Neupogen/Neulasta" bar ensuring that you do not have another febrile netropenia/massive infection scenario. It really works to keep our white cells and fighter cells normal; same level as regular people. It really worked for me during Taxotere, and I will now be starting it again this round, hoping to avoid another hospitalization.

Cheers.....
My hopes are not always realized but I always hope - Ovid Dx 4/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/33 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 6, 2007 07:31AM jacqniel wrote:

I don't have any advice to add to the wonderful thoughts of our fellow sisters - but I wanted you to know I have said a prayer on your behalf and am thinking positive thoughts for your results today. Please let us know what you find out. Hugs, Jacque

Jul 6, 2007 04:53PM Jillt wrote:

Hi Robyn, I understand your dilemna. Of course, there is no right answer. I have a similiar situation. I feel better than I have in the past 2.5 years. I have lung mets that are not spreading at a fast rate...but they are growing. I am taking the opposite route and going for aggressive. I am going to have a stem cell transplant as a part of a clinical trial.

If you are stable or have very minimal growth I think it would be wise to enjoy your life and kids. as long as you keep an eye on it, you can start a treatment later.

These are horrible decisons that we have to make. Good luck, Jill
Jill Dx 2/16/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 6, 2007 07:06PM WendyV wrote:

Hi Robyn - It's Friday and I was wondering if you got your results back. Check in and let us know how you are doing.
Take Care
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 7, 2007 07:00AM RLA13 wrote:

Lung mets still growing....the thingy on my liver very small, has been there for a long time, so it was unclear and I had a scan without IV contrast as they could not get a vein. So, the verdict was, to NOT do treatment, wait 6-8 weeks (giving me my summer) and re-scan beg. of Sept. and MOST likely begin treatment! My onc is back from mat leave and she was great to talk with again. The infection I had last year has prevented me from doing chemo--so she wasn't surprised that I have had growth. She just said there will be a time when we should start treatment and she has it all planned out! Which is good. Considering I never did complete first line treatment, I guess there really is the gamut out there for me still....I tend to forget that....so I have my summer (unless I start feeling awful) and I am pleased with this decision. Thank you all for your thoughts and help on this!!!
Off to the beach!

Jul 7, 2007 07:28AM LuAnnH wrote:

Sounds like your onc is on top of things. Go enjoy your summer!

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 7, 2007 02:47PM katie11 wrote:

Dear Robyn,

I am so pleased you will be able to enjoy your summer with your wonderful kids. I've just got back from the beach myself with my two - here's to many wonderful summer days for all of us!

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 7, 2007 07:31PM LinTol wrote:

Robyn- Overall, it sounds like good news. Enjoy your summer and worry about treatment later. Have fun with your kids!!
Linda
Linda Dx 5/2006, IDC, Stage IV, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 7, 2007 09:30PM WendyV wrote:

It's nice to have a plan in place isn't it? I'm glad that you will be able to enjoy the rest of the summer with your children. Enjoy the beach!
Wendy

Page 1 of 1 (12 results)