Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: can i get mets ?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 4, 2007 02:52PM

treeb wrote:

this may seem like a dumb question...but can i get mets after being dx with DCIS...some microinvasion...had lumpectomy then mastectomy...no lymph involvement...ER+...
What kind of follow up should i be getting now that i am 6 months post mastectomy surgery?
thanks for any info you can share Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jul 4, 2007 04:19PM debstitchestoo wrote:

Hi Treeb

We aren't sure who can or will get mets. I had your diagnosis and had a small chance of recurrence, let alone mets. Just make sure to follow up with your doctors and perhaps a yearly ultrasound to make sure you stay clear. And if you get any funny symptoms....don't write them off...get them checked right away. Good luck to you!

Debbie
Dx 2/28/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2007 04:37PM LuAnnH wrote:

I would be doing the regular follow up with my onc. If your onc did not recommend any then I would find another onc. They don't know why anyone has a metastisis, you risk is lower but it is not impossible. All you can do is your follow up care and hope for the best.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 4, 2007 04:54PM KariLynn wrote:

People with no history of BC present with mets - no one should be less than vigilant especaially if you've been there. Chances are you won't, but no harm in having regular (annual?) follow-up.

Kari
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 4, 2007 08:10PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

The chances of it happening in your case are very, very remote. Still, you should be on a hormonal med and you should be monitorde by an oncologist. The biggest risk for you, if you didn't have a bilateral mastectomy, would be another primary cancer in the other breast. We all have an elevated risk of a new cancer having had the first one. You shouldn't worry because you were very fortunate to be diagnosed at such an early stage, but you do need good medical follow-up.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)