Join Us

We are 220,346 members in 84 forums discussing 161,892 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Pain in Jaw and Arm

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 6, 2007 02:55AM

boobbuster wrote:

As most of you know, I've been on a chemo break since May 23 (my last infusion). Since that time I've developed pain in my elbow and lower arm and now my jaw. I can't chew on my right side and I can't hold anything heavy with my right arm. My next appointment is next week and I'll have scans and they have chemo scheduled just in case there is progression. I've never had bone mets and I'm praying that there isn't any new developments. Do you think I should call my OC and let him know about the bone pain or just wait and tell him on Monday? He's only ordered a CT of my chest, abdomen and pelvis. Has anyone had jaw pain that developed into mets? God is able, Stephanie

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Jul 6, 2007 04:19AM jacqniel wrote:

I was so hoping you would have an uneventful break! Drat!

Jaw pain and arm pain can be a sign of heart problems. Considering your recent brush with heart disease I would suggest calling your onc or card immediately!

I have bones mets, and I have had jaw pain - but the two have never been connected. I think my jaw pain is connected with low grade infections that I am prone to on my chemo.

If it proves to not be your heart, I suggest you discuss with your onc the possibility that the pain might be an infection and ask for antibiotics.

Please keep me informed, Stephanie - you are in my prayers. Jacque

Jul 6, 2007 04:40AM LuAnnH wrote:

Stephanie,

I immediately thought of heart problems also when I read your heading. Both my parents died of heart disease and I am very aware of warning signs of the heart. I would call a doctor today (whoever you see for your heart) and not wait til next week. My bone mets have never caused pain in my arm or jaw. The pain I have had in my arms have been related to my RA and hormonals I take. Take care and let us know how you are.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 6, 2007 05:23AM jacqniel wrote:

Another thought - which side is your port on? Infections in the port can cause jaw and arm pain.

Jul 6, 2007 07:20AM boobbuster wrote:

My jaw and arm pain are both on my right side. The arm pain is limited to the elbow and has been aching for about 4 weeks with various levels of pain. The jaw pain is right behind my right ear. I'll call the OC Nurse and let her know. I think you're right with the past heart problems it warrents a call. Thanks, God is able. Stephanie

Jul 6, 2007 07:47AM jonimb wrote:

You might just have a bit of lymphedema. Xeloda is sometimes known to cause jaw pain. Or you might just have something like bursitis or tendonitis.

Call your onc, but if you're seeing him Monday I think that will be fine.

Big hugs to you.

Joni
Joni, Chestermere, AB, Canada, Today is the BEST day of my life EVER!! Dx 9/25/2006, IDC, 4cm, Grade 3, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)