Join Us

We are 221,201 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Scan Results

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 19, 2007 01:14PM

katie11 wrote:

Hello all,

It's been one of those weeks where you find yourself pin-balling around from one medical appointment to the next with scan results in hand and a frantic look on your face. Add to this the 40° heat that we are having just now and you can just imagine!

So, I have had a CT and bone scan this week plus a follow up meeting with my onc. For those of you who are not familiar with my situation, I was diagnosed with BC and mets to bone and liver from the get-go a year ago, have done 7 months of chemo (first one led to progression, second to shrinkage of mets) and I had a mastectomy in May. I have now been on a chemo break for 4 months, so I was obviously worried about these scan results, but...

All scan results have shown that the mets continue to be stable! Yippee! My onc was infectiously enthusiastic about these results and, best of all, was talking about his treatment plan for years to come - yes, all of you at stage 4 out there - that's YEARS!! He hasn't decided yet whether to do more chemo first or move straight onto hormonals, but he was certainly talking about the treatment over the next few years! I left the hospital skipping with joy - even in the 40° heat!

There is hope for all of us!

Hugs,

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (26 results)

Posts 1 - 26 (26 total)

Jul 19, 2007 01:36PM ForTheMoment wrote:

Oh my gosh!!! Yeahhhh!!!! I'm so happy to hear this Katie. I just got tears in my eyes reading this. Happy tears for a change!

Huge hugs!!!

Jul 19, 2007 01:57PM DEAK95 wrote:

Hugs to you,
That's GREAT News!!! I think we all feel like Pinballs for most of the time. In fact, this is the first week in a long time with only my treatment visit at the onc, Yippee!!! and keep up the good work!!!!Pat
Enjoy Life!! Dx 11/17/1995, IDC, 5cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 3/36 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 12/1/2005, IDC, Both breasts, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, 2/2 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH)

Jul 19, 2007 01:59PM AusAla wrote:

Wonderful news, Katie!!! Yes, many of us metsters have been around for years (been over 3 1/2 years since my mets dx) and plan on being here for years to come!!! Your post makes me very happy and thank you for being so encouraging! You go, girl!

I have not had to do additional chemo YET. Been on herceptin (for her2 +) and hormonals for past 3 1/2 years. Two different oncs have told me the longer we can hold off using chemos...the better. This may be changing, however, since I've had slight progression recently to a rib. Getting that radiated now...so will discuss adding chemo in couple of weeks. I know of many of us who have had good results with using targeted therapies only...no additional chemo. So I pray the same for you, too, Katie!
Happy dancing hugs,
Bethie
"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 19, 2007 02:08PM LuAnnH wrote:

Great News Katie!!! That is so awesome! You keep on skipping and dancing!

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 19, 2007 02:33PM JerseyGemini wrote:

Great news Katie....your email is as infectiously happy too! Here's to years to come :-)

teresa

Jul 19, 2007 02:45PM jonimb wrote:

Fabulous news Katie....how to go!!

Joni, Chestermere Alberta Canada
Joni, Chestermere, AB, Canada, Today is the BEST day of my life EVER!! Dx 9/25/2006, IDC, 4cm, Grade 3, 1/15 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 19, 2007 03:38PM PJB wrote:

Wonderful, wonderful, Katie! So great to hear!

Paula
May 2004, Stage 2 IDC. Recurrence in 2005. On Femara til mets diagnosis in Feb 2009. On Faslodex 8/11. Brain mets in April 2012. Progression in liver 6/12. On to Etoposide. Dx mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 19, 2007 03:53PM Fitztwins wrote:

YIPPEE!!!

Enjoy Every Sandwich. Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 1/18/2005 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap Chemotherapy 1/31/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 4/30/2005 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 5/31/2005 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2005 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2008 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 6/30/2008 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/4/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Jul 19, 2007 04:10PM RLA13 wrote:

Katie, I am just absolutely THRILLED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so awesome!!!!!!

Your onc sounds terrific!!!!!!

xx

Jul 19, 2007 04:29PM jacqniel wrote:

How absolutley, positively, outstandingly awesome! I am so happy for you! Hugs, Jacque

Jul 19, 2007 05:38PM WendyV wrote:

I just had to congratulate you one more time!!!! I am so very happy for you Katie!
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 20, 2007 01:34AM Tracy1964 wrote:

katie , i am sooooooowwwwwwwwww happy and excited for you . well done .great oncologist too xx

Jul 20, 2007 04:21AM kim825 wrote:

Wonderful news. Congratulations.

Jul 20, 2007 06:06AM RobinWendy wrote:

KATIE...

SO VERY THRILLED FOR YOU... I, too, am at the 3 year and 8 month mark and my onc also promised me years to come.. unfortunately, i do have to start chemo now but onc promosed me results... keep up the GREAT work and enjoy your good news

Robin
dx Stage II primary BC in Jan. 2001;dx with DCIS on other breast in Jan. 2003; dx with mets to lungs in Jan. 2004 and in May 2007, mets spread to liver. Dx ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 20, 2007 06:17AM Shepgirl wrote:

Congrats!!!!
Dx 12/23/2004, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 2/22 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 20, 2007 06:36AM scarednancy wrote:

That is FANTASTIC!!! I am sooooo happy for you. Thanks for sharing the great news with all of us!
Nancy

Jul 20, 2007 07:12AM wallan wrote:

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

It is wonderful to hear such upbeat news.. and to know that there are oncs out there who believe in long-term therapy...

yIPPEE

Wendy A
Dx 3/29/2004, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2004 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 6/1/2004 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 12/1/2004 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 1/25/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC/IDC/IDC: Mucinous/IDC: Cribriform, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/8/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 20, 2007 07:13AM KTgirl wrote:

This is my very first posting to this website, so I hope I am doing everything right! First of all, congratulations to you for good news. I received the results back yesterday from my bone scan and CAT scan. The bone scan was completely clear, and so was the CAT scan, with the exception of two tiny (3mm & 5mm) "tiny indeterminate subpleural non-calcified nodules in the right lower lobe which warrant follow-up to assess for stability." My onc says that these nodules could be anything, and he said we'll follow up on assessing these after my initial chemo is over in August. Anybody have any feedback on what these could be? Do I have mets? Thanks so much.

KTGirl
Stage 1
Left Breast Lumpectomy
No spread to the Lymph Nodes
ER+/PR+/Her2-

Jul 20, 2007 02:45PM joanne1428 wrote:

Hooray for stable! Music to my ears!

My hopes are not always realized but I always hope - Ovid Dx 4/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/33 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Jul 25, 2007 07:42AM katie11 wrote:

Thanks to all for your wonderful support - as always.

Another interesting thing has come out of the recent lot of tests I've done and that is concerning the one small lesion I have had on my liver since initial diagnosis. This has not changed at all over the course of the entire year whereas the bone lesions have all responded to treatment and now my onc wants to take a closer look at it to see if it really is mets! I have an MRI scheduled for next week and, although I am trying not to get my hopes up too much, the prospect of not having mets to the liver is exciting to say the least!

Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Love to all!

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 25, 2007 07:53AM ForTheMoment wrote:

Katie... Wow!!! That is so exciting! I truly truly hope that the mets to liver turn out to be.. .umm.. not mets to the liver. Did he have any other thoughts as to what it could be, if not mets?

Good luck!!!!

Jul 25, 2007 09:38AM jacqniel wrote:

Oh Katie, that would be awesome if it isn't mets to the liver! Prayers that it is something benign and of no consequence!

Jul 25, 2007 12:28PM lexi4 wrote:

Katie,

There is a gal named LeAnne here on the bc.org. She was diagnosed w/ liver mets, did chemo, and later came to find out that it wasn't liver mets after all! It really can happen. Prayers for benign!

Hugs,
Lexi
Dx 8/22/2005, IBC, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 5/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Jul 25, 2007 01:45PM RobinWendy wrote:

Katie,

I had something on my liver ever since mets were discovered in my lungs but it did not light up in the petscan and never changed. My onc pronounced it non-met (not really a word but you know what i mean). So, it is possible.

Unfortunately for me, I do now have 3 nodules in my liver... but the one that was there all along is not cancer. I hope that is the case for you, too.

Roboin
dx Stage II primary BC in Jan. 2001;dx with DCIS on other breast in Jan. 2003; dx with mets to lungs in Jan. 2004 and in May 2007, mets spread to liver. Dx ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 28, 2007 06:09AM tropicmom wrote:

Hooray for you, Katie!! I'm so happy for you. I remember you were one of the ones who was so positve to me when I first arrived with my bad news. I am sure your liver is just fine-nomets!!
Keep up the good work
Dx 1/2007, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 28, 2007 09:38AM mom2acat wrote:

Katie, I'm so glad it's good news! That is great to hear.

Original dx stage II, May 2003; bone mets April 2007 Dx 4/8/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 5/19 nodes, mets, ER+

Page 1 of 1 (26 results)