Join Us

We are 221,200 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: This dastardly disease

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 23, 2007 07:12PM

Patinpa wrote:

Hi All,

The last time I posted I had good news about the CT and Bone scans that were done. All was stable and that was good. My onc. ordered a Pet scan which I had this morning at nine o'clock. Dear husband and I went out to brunch and then to see our dauther and two grandsons. She lives in a log home out in the woods and it feels like you are in a beautiful park. Today was a beautiful day in Pa.

Got home and checked the answering machine and my sweet onc was telling me to call her today as they had faxed the Pet scan results to her. I went numb. They always call as soon as they get your results but it is usually the unc nurse making the call. Calmed myself and made the call

The sternum still is looking good, stable, but that dastardly disease had attacked lymph nodes on my right lung under the sturnum. I did not even know you had lymph nodes by your lungs. 70 years old and always learning!

We, my husband and daughters and I will be seeing the doctor on Monday to discuss where we go from here. She said not to start my next rd of Xeloda and not to give up as there are other treatments to turn to.

I feel like screaming but I am sure I would scare the heck out of our neighbors. I think I will make another trip to my daughters and let out as loud a scream as I can, maybe I will scare some deer but at least they wouldn't think someone was killing me.

Do any on you know what I can expect on Monday? How do I look up info about met bc into chest lymph nodes? Early on the onc talked about Taxol and Taxotere. I am receptor negative and I know that makes a difference in treatment and I have had a heart attack and that makes a difference too.

Thank God for little boys and two of them will be coming to spend the morning with us tomorrow. With them around I won't have much time to think of anything but good things.
I think I will thank you all for listening and say good night and God bless us all.

Pat Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Jul 23, 2007 08:16PM djd wrote:

Pat,

I don't have mets, so I can't offer advice about what will happen on Monday. But as a survivor-sister, I can imagine what mental and emotional gymnastics you must be going through tonight.

You will be in my prayers and I will be checking back to see what you find out.

Don't give up - there are tons of drugs and new findings to fight this battle being discovered every day.

{{{hugs}}}
Donna Dx 12/13/2004, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 23, 2007 09:58PM Traci40 wrote:

Pat,
Can I just say this?
I know you feel blessed to have your grandson's and you should. I wish I did.
I have never been blessed enough to have a child, let alone, a grandchild.
I hope that you will embrace this when times are tough.
My grandmother died when I was 20. She was 79. I really, didn't know her that well as we lived in different states when I grew older however, I have vivid, fond memories when I was a little girl. I have to share just one:
I was small, probably 6 or somthing. I had done something wrong, I don't remember what but, my mom was looking for me. I went into my grandma's room crying and she hid me, behind her, under her blanket of her bed where she was laying, watching t.v. That is one of only a few memories I have as a child.
You should do a scrapbook for them, or a journal. Tell/show them all the stuff that you experienced that was before their time. They will cherish it forever.
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
Traci

Jul 24, 2007 01:01AM AusAla wrote:

Pat,

I am so sorry your PET scan did not lend better news. As Donna says, there are many more drugs out there for us metsters. You are not alone in this. Receiving the news of progression is so hard. I am glad you have those grandkids to keep you grounded and distracted. You seem to have a wonderful appreciation for enjoying life around you.
Sending positive thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted.
Hugs,
Bethie
"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 24, 2007 01:28AM WendyV wrote:

Pat - your right it was a beautiful day in Pa! I live in Pa too and I wish the weather was like this year round - if only we had a little rain! You are also right that this is a dastardly disease. I'm so very sorry that your Pet scan showed progression and that you will have to begin treatments again. There are several other women on these boards that have taken Xeloda for their mets with much success, I'm sure they will be along soon to tell you all about it!

As far as the screaming - let it out - who cares about the neighbors - a good scream does us all a little good now and then. Spending time with your grandkids will definitely keep your mind off of things, I know that keeping up with my 3 kids can definitely keep me occupied! I have also found that a little retail therapy works wonders too. And this time of year is perfect - all the summer clothes are on sale and all the new fall clothes are making their appearance!

My mets aren't in the same location as yours so I can't offer any advice on them - but mets are mets and we are all dealing with them everyday and living everyday. There is a multitude of treatments out there for all of us, and new medications are approved everyday. I'm sure that this will be nothing more than a bump in the road and you'll be back to stable or even NED before you know it!

So, Pat today looks like another lovely day, nice and cool and maybe a chance of rain (Waa Hoo!) The kids are off to Hershey Park (again!) and I'm off to work. Life goes on. You'll get your treatment plan mapped out on Monday and off you'll go, living, laughing, playing with your Grandkids and telling all of us how great you are doing.

Take Care Pat!
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 24, 2007 05:23AM jacqniel wrote:

Pat - so sorry to hear that your mets have progressed. You might ask your onc about Abraxane instead of the Taxol. It is is the same family, but isn't quite as harsh, but does the job.
Prayers for a solid new tx that will waltz you to NED.
Hugs, Jacque

Jul 24, 2007 06:09AM LuAnnH wrote:

Pat,

I had progression on my scans in May. Alot of lymph nodes in my chest cavity and around my heart were all involved with cancer. I can happily say that as of two weeks into my new tx that there was marked improvement in all lymph nodes in the chest! I feel I am on my way to dancing with NED by the time my next set of scans come in. There are lots of chemo options for everyone. You mentioned your hormone status, what about HER2? Are you neg or positive? I was put on herceptin and that is what made a huge difference in my response. Also, if you haven't had a biopsy in awhile, it may be worth having another biopsy done. Cancer is known to change status. As we hit it with weapons it changes so it can continue to grow. You mentioned xeloda, what other chemos have you tried? The best thing about negative receptor cancers is that it responds better to chemo. Have your scream and then get together to move onto the next plan of attack.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 25, 2007 06:35AM katie11 wrote:

Dear Pat,

I am another one who had some progression during my first chemo treatment - the 'red devil' as it's called. I was swapped to taxotere and xeloda 8 months ago and there has been a great response - some shrinkage, other mets on the bone have disappeared all together! My latest scan results showed that I am still stable.

There are lots of options still available to you and, as others have already said, more new treatments coming out all of the time.

Hope all goes well with your onc and please let us know what decisions are made.

Take care and hugs to you,

Katie xxx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 25, 2007 08:24AM KariLynn wrote:

Hi Pat,

Sorry you have progression and have to switch treatments - that's always a little frightening.

I hope you've found time to scream - I've found it to be a great stress reliever!

Take care,
Kari
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 25, 2007 02:17PM Patinpa wrote:

THANKS TO ALL FOR THE CARING, AND THE SUGGESTIONS. WILL TAKE IT ALL WITH ME ON MONDAY TO THE ONC.

THE XELODA WAS THE ONLY TREATMENT I HAVE HAD SO FAR. AS FOR MY HER2 I DON'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS BUT HERCEPTIN WAS OUT. THEY THOUGHT AT FIRST I COULD USE IT THEN THEY DID A FISH TEST ON THE BIOPSY AND SAID THAT I COULD NOT TAKE HERCEPTIN. AM TOO LAZY TO GO GET MY FOLDER WHERE I KEEP ALL MY NOTES FROM MY VISITS, BUT I BELEIVE THIS IS HOW IT ALL WENT.

QUITE DIFFERENT FROM 23 YEARS AGO AND A LOT FOR ME TO RESEARCH, REMEMBER AND KEEP UP WITH. THANK GOD FOR MY HUSBAND AND DAUGHTERS WHO GO WITH ME TO ONC VISITS. {VISITS.........YIKES...SOUNDS LIKE A SOCIAL CALL!!!}

WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS ON MONDAY AND I PRAY WE ALL HAVE A GREAT WEEK.

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)