Join Us

We are 221,200 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Aromazine side effects?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 25, 2007 09:01AM

agn2010 wrote:

Hi,

My mother in law has has liver and lung mets and she has gone thru four rounds of chem treatment. Yesterday, when she finished the last round, her doctor put her on a new drug called "Aromazine".

Does any one know what this drug is for and what are the side effects?

I asking this because my MIL is overseas and I need to know if she is getting the beat drugs available.

Thanks,
-Ali Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jul 25, 2007 09:29AM WendyK wrote:

Aromasin is an aromatase inhibitor. It's a hormonal treatment as your MIL must have had an estrogen positive sort of tumor. I believe the side effects are similar to femara and arimidex...muscle/joint sorts of pains. It is used to prevent cancer recurrences and for the treatment of recurring cancers.

Regards,
Wendy
Hoping for the future and living for today! Dx 12/13/2004, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 26, 2007 07:17AM wallan wrote:

It is supposed to be one of the best drugs for hormone-related breast cancer.

Wendy is right. It can cause muscle aches and pains.

HUGS
Wendy A
Dx 3/29/2004, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2004 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 6/1/2004 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 12/1/2004 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 1/25/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC/IDC/IDC: Mucinous/IDC: Cribriform, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/8/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jul 26, 2007 08:35AM agn2010 wrote:

Wendy and Wendy,

Thank you so much for your very useful input. I will pass this on to my MIL.

I have a few more questions:

1. Having estrogen positive sort of tumor is a good or bad kind of BC?
2. What is the first conclusion you ladies come up with knowing that my MIL is on Aromasin?
3. At what stage is hormonal treatment used?
4. What is aromatase inhibitor?

Thanks,
-Ali

Jul 26, 2007 08:54AM joanalice wrote:

An aromatase inhibitor blocks estrogen from getting into the cells which cause the cancer to grow. The cancer cells do not die but, as my onc says, they go to sleep. Acutally having an estrogen positive tumor gives you mil more options in treatment which is a good thing. Try to stay positive for her because it sounds like she is getting the best treatment. You might also ask if she is getting a bone building drug like zometa, because she is now in danger of weakening of the bones due to estrogen loss.

Dx 7/1998, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 26, 2007 06:59PM susan_02143 wrote:

Small correction: aromasin stops the production of estrogen, not the ability of the body to use it. From the official aromasin:

AROMASIN® (exemestane tablets) is a hormonal therapy. Like tamoxifen, it is a treatment that removes or blocks hormones. Specifically, AROMASIN and tamoxifen target the hormone estrogen. Most breast cancers use estrogen to grow. That�s why they may be called estrogen-dependent or estrogen-receptor positive (ER+).

Tamoxifen keeps estrogen from attaching to breast cancer cells. AROMASIN helps stop women from making estrogen in the first place. In fact, AROMASIN can lower the amount of estrogen in postmenopausal women by 98%. Less estrogen may mean less risk of tumor growth.

How does AROMASIN work? Before menopause, most estrogen is made in the ovaries. After a woman goes through menopause, her body still makes some estrogen in breast and fat tissues. This is done using a protein called aromatase (uh-ROME-uh-tase). AROMASIN blocks the aromatase. This stops estrogen production.

Since AROMASIN stops estrogen production, it should not be taken by women who are pregnant. It should also not be taken by women who have not gone through menopause.

Link to the home page:
http://www.aromasin.com/content/home.jsp.../content/home

The side effects should be contained in the insert, but bone pain, muscle/joint aches, fatique and hot flashes are the most common. Some of us have some sleep issues until our bodies adjust too.

All the best to your Mom.

*susan*
anotherplan.blogspot.com... and its back. May 3, 2010 mets found. Five years NED on Faslodex * 4/2015 progression to bone * 6/11/2015 Femara/Ibrance * 12/27/2015 Xeloda * 2/24/2016 Xgeva * another progression, another drug Taxol 2/14/2017 Dx 6/8/2005, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 27, 2007 12:11PM LuAnnH wrote:

oh yeah, you are right. I was thinking about the video I watched on how faslodex worked

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)