Join Us

We are 221,199 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Decided on next treatment

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 25, 2007 08:18PM

awjkej wrote:

Hi All,

Well after a second opinion re treatment, and after discussing options with my oncologist, I decided on the standard option of tykerb and xeloda instead of a Phase II trial for tykerb and avastin. I was really interested in in the trial, but I would have to travel every 3 weeks. With my current family obligations, and our 3 boys all in school, it would be too much. But if I don't do well on the tykerb/xeloda I can always see if the trial is still available.

So we will see how it goes and hopefully my bone mets in my hip and spine will remain stable and hopefully the new meds will take care of the node near my bronchial tubes.

The extra good news...always looking for that silver lining ...is that the node is NOT in my lungs and I have good ventilation and they are clear!!!!

Thank you again for support, feedback and good wishes,

Anne
www.faithhopecourage.com / Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.--Rabindranath Tagore Dx 1/10/2003, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 2/3/2003 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/27/2003 AC Targeted Therapy 10/1/2004 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2004 Arimidex (anastrozole) Chemotherapy 11/4/2005 Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2005 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2006 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 8/9/2007 Tykerb (lapatinib) Chemotherapy 8/9/2007 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2007 Bone Chemotherapy 4/8/2008 Navelbine (vinorelbine) Radiation Therapy 11/10/2010 Lymph nodes

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jul 26, 2007 01:44AM katie11 wrote:

Dear Anne,

This sounds like an excellent treatment combination! I haven't had tykerb, but I have had xeloda and that has had excellent results on my bone mets, so I am sure you have made a good choice.

You sound like a very positive and strong woman and I wish you all the very best with your treatment.

Keep us posted!

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Jul 26, 2007 03:44AM boobbuster wrote:

I love it when plans come together. Keep up the work! God is able, Stephanie

Jul 26, 2007 05:33AM jacqniel wrote:

Best of luck as you start this new tx. Sounds like a good plan to me!

Jul 26, 2007 09:25AM BrandisMom wrote:

Congratulations on making your decision! I think many of us out here feel like that period of uncertainty of next steps is the worst part of all. I know it's sure like that for me. Once the decisions have been made, I always rest easier.

Best wishes that this plan works well for you!

Hugs,
Debbie

Jul 27, 2007 07:24PM awjkej wrote:

Thank you so much for your kind words! I get much strength, knowledge and hope from everyone here. I will keep you posted :-).

I am on 3300mg of xeloda (1650mg in morning and 1650mg in evening) 2wks on, 1wk off. Then tykerb is 1250mg a day, every day. This first week has been pretty good so far...I don't know if side sare cumulative. So far I have mild nausea but nothing I can't deal with ...I have had worse!

On another note, a dear friend of mine was diagnosed yesterday with breast cancer. Her son and my middle son are buddies. It seems unreal that she has to go through this too! She was diagnosed early though, has 2 tumors 6mm and 10mm, so she will have a mastectomy and possibly do what I did and have a prophylatic one too. She had a great radiologist who went with his gut and sent her for an MRI and that is how they found the tumors. Please say a prayer for her.

Thank you again and God Bless,
Anne
www.faithhopecourage.com / Faith is the bird that feels the light when the dawn is still dark.--Rabindranath Tagore Dx 1/10/2003, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 2/3/2003 Mastectomy: Left; Prophylactic mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 3/27/2003 AC Targeted Therapy 10/1/2004 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/1/2004 Arimidex (anastrozole) Chemotherapy 11/4/2005 Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 11/21/2005 Bone Hormonal Therapy 6/16/2006 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 8/9/2007 Tykerb (lapatinib) Chemotherapy 8/9/2007 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 10/17/2007 Bone Chemotherapy 4/8/2008 Navelbine (vinorelbine) Radiation Therapy 11/10/2010 Lymph nodes

Jul 31, 2007 07:27AM A-M_Higgins wrote:

Anne-

good luck with it - be sure to keep your team advised of ay side-effects, because it's just pills and you likely don't see them as much, i found it easy to use the treatment diary at www.xeloda.com, which was very helpful...

Regards,

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)