Join Us

We are 221,200 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Has anyone had surgery/rod in the bone with mets

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 26, 2007 05:03PM

mommy9278 wrote:

My mom has ER+/HER- BC Mets in Leg & a super small spot on her Lung that she was diagnosed with 7 weeks ago, when she was 1st diagnosed they rushed her to surgery ASAP, because they said the lesion on her femur could cause her to break her leg at any moment.

She had the surgery 6 weeks ago tomorrow and asked me if I would post on this board to see if anyone else had to be rodded b/c of a lesion.

She is having radiation and has 1 more tx left tomorrow. She thinks that the pain from the lesion is gone, but is still having lots of pain from the surgery.

She wants to see if anyone has had the same issues if they have been rodded and to ask how long it took to recover from the surgery.

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Shannon Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)

Posts 1 - 3 (3 total)

Jul 26, 2007 05:33PM boobbuster wrote:

Shannon-
I have a friend who had a rod put in her leg because it did break. She is healing just fine; in fact she just came back from Daytona beach. She has small children and is running around after them. I would say it's been 6 weeks at the most for her recovery. She went to radiation everyday for about a week and was tired but other than that she did fine! Hope your Mom goes through all her procedures with minimal pain and no problems. God is able, Stephanie

Jul 26, 2007 05:58PM MREanes wrote:

Hi Shannon,

I am sorry to hear about your mom.

My name is Mike, 55, diagnosed with bc, May 05. They discovered bone mets in my upper left femur and bottom vertebre just before New Years 06. My leg was ready to shatter and I had immediate surgery with a couple of titaniun rods inserted into my leg. It was followed with radiation and then bone cement in my vertebre which was 2/3 to 3/4 tumor. The upper half of my left leg was mostly tumor.

I was on crutches until recently. I did progress from two to one crutch around mid-May and moved to a cane recently. I can walk very limited distances without the cane.

Ask you orthopedic surgeon to get an x-ray of your mom's leg about two weeks after radiation is complete. You should get a good idea how much structure is there. The bone actually gets weaker until about two weeks after radiation because the tumor that was providing some structure is now gone.

I had very little bone left in my upper femur. The rods support the leg so breaking is not a problem, but rehabilitaion may be slower. I was too aggressive and ripped a muscle off of my bone during my sleep which set me back about a month. My physical therapy was similar to that of a hip replacement. They didn't think about my bone being too weak to handle the therapy.

I don't mean to sound discouraging and I hope that your mom's tumor was smaller and that she can progress more quickly.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I had a lot more in my first reply, but when I went to send it, it disappeared. Also, I will be on vacation next week and may not have access to the internet.

Please let your mom know that she is not alone and that I hope she recovers quickly.

Best wishes,
Mike

Jul 28, 2007 05:02AM Shepgirl wrote:

Shannon;

I too had a rod inserted in my right femur. It took about 4 wks to heal but I have not had any issues with it. I have a left hip replacement too! Just two months before the right rod. The rod was much easier than replacing the hip. They could not save the hip/left femur due to a fracture. So I was pleased to get the rod in the right!

I had 12 weeks + healing with the hip and extensive PT.... so the right rod seemed "easier".

I like Mike, also have a vertabrae that will need intervention surgery. Most likely Cavity Wand ( a new procedure just approved.
SpineWand

I support doing this type of surgery versus waiting for a fracture.

Good Luck
Dx 12/23/2004, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 2/22 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (3 results)