Join Us

We are 221,199 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Mom's scan results and question re: Taxol

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 27, 2007 04:04PM

bellavida wrote:

My mom was diagnosed with metastisis to her pleura area last May and since that time has been stable while on Femara. However, today we received her latest scan results and the news is not good. She has new cells in her kidney as well as a couple 2-3cm growths in her liver. Her doctor is planning to start her on Taxol starting Tuesday, she will receive treatment once a week for three weeks and then her doctor plans to reevaluate. Her doctor seems optimistic, but I am devastated. Has anyone been on Taxol? What should she expect? I would appreciate any advice, thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)

Posts 1 - 6 (6 total)

Jul 27, 2007 04:35PM LuAnnH wrote:

Your mom's doctor seemed to have your mom well looked after. She must be ER/PR positive to have been on Femara. Do you know her HER2 status? Taxol is a very good drug in battling bc. They have found by giving it in weekly doses it is not as toxic and easier for the patient to tolerate. She will lose her hair and have some fatigue from it but should do ok. Once they get this progression under control she may be able to go back to another hormonal. This can help keep her stable and give her a better QOL. If your mom is HER positive that opens more doors in tx options for her. In my opinion her onc has her best interests at heart and would be comfortable with this option.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 27, 2007 04:46PM bellavida wrote:

Thanks LuAnn for your response. Her doctor is very good and she also indicated that once she was stable again she would consider putting her on a AI again. Unfortunately, she is HER2-. I do hope the Taxol is affective. I just got engaged yesterday and want my mom to be around for my wedding. Thank you again.

Jul 27, 2007 05:03PM WendyV wrote:

Hi there - I finished 6 rounds of Taxol and Herceptin this past March. I had the treatments weekly just like your Mom is going to have, and it was very doable. Taxol is very well known for it's muscle aches and pains and I did have some, but they were easily managed with just Tylenol. Taxol causes neuropothy in 1/3 of the women who take it, but I didn't have any tingling in my feet and hands. I'm probably a little younger than you Mom at 39, but I found the treatments extremely manageable. I continued to work full time and do all the things that I normally did, including raising 3 very active children and running to all of their events. I did lose my hair, eyelashes, and most of my eyebrows despite my oncologist telling me that my hair might only thin! The good news is that the Taxol worked and many of my mets resolved or shrank and 4 months later I have hair, not a lot but it is hair!!! I'll be praying that your Mom has an easy time with the Taxol and that she has a great response!

Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Jul 27, 2007 09:58PM bellavida wrote:

Wendy,

Thanks so much for your response. I'm glad that taxol worked so well for you and hope the same for my mom.

Jul 30, 2007 10:05AM GreenHeron wrote:

Another Taxol Alumna...4 rounds, every two weeks. Usually given as a slow drip, so bring a book on tape or something fun for the sessions!
Can't add anything else to the chorus. Had some tingling in my fingures, but not a biggie at all. I found that my blood counts did come up more quickly on Taxol than on A/C, but that is my own standard of comparison. Taxol is a very successful drug.

Good luck to you both!!!!!

Flashdif

Jul 30, 2007 10:06AM GreenHeron wrote:

ah...just remembered something else that may help you prepare mentally. Your mom may be given steriods the night before to help avoid allergic reactions to Taxol, and sometimes they give some benedryl first.

Flashdif

Page 1 of 1 (6 results)