Join Us

We are 221,199 members in 83 forums discussing 161,896 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Avastin/xeloda and flying

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Jul 30, 2007 03:22PM

zarowny9 wrote:

Hi all,just wondering what the rules are for flying while on these drugs.Any advice would be great...thanks, Dawn

dx in 05 at age 29 with stage 2 grade 3 triple neg braca 1 pos bc...mets in Jan 07 to supraclavicular nodes

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Jul 30, 2007 05:14PM JeanOneal wrote:

I am not on Avastin but have been on Xeloda for months now. Have flown quite a few times and no problem

Jul 30, 2007 06:31PM PineHouse wrote:

I don't know this for sure, but I don't there is anything bad with flying other than:
- If your WBC is low, you'll need to be careful in a crowded place, you're more susceptible to getting infection.
- If your Hemoglobin is low, you also need to watch out. They usually reduce the amount of oxygen in a pressurized airline cabin, and you are already having low oxygen getting into your brain if you have low Hb.

I did fly when my Hb fell out the normal range, and I actually didn't feel dizzy or short of breath at all.

You may check with your doctor. My suggestion is to type up a medical info (your treatment protocol, your last date of treatment prior to flying, your latest blood work, doctor's phone number, etc.) and carry with you on the plane along with your ID etc. If you're traveling with someone, tell them you have such info or just give them a copy.

Happy flying!
Numerous in-vivo studies have determined that chocolate-containing "treat"ment regimen SIGNIFICANTLY improved quality of life for breast cancer patients. Dx 12/1996, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)