Join Us

We are 219,486 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: periods after chemo

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Aug 2, 2007 08:00AM

tracey2424 wrote:

hi ladies

has anyone had there periods return after chemo, i finished chemo (xelodia) in May and this week have had a discharge like you do before starting a period i did not think i would have an period again, so im a bit gutted feeling ratty again and had slight cramps on and off for about last 5 days.
Just wondered is this normal, was diagnosed last May (06) with liver mets from the start, did 6 month of A/C which shrunk the breast tumor but not the liver so did 3 month of Xelodia which worked well currently just on HERCEPTIN. Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Aug 2, 2007 08:27AM katie11 wrote:

Hi Tracey,

Yes, this is quite normal to restart periods after chemo finishes - you should mention it to your onc as it may be decided to give you some meds that will help put you into menopause.

I am so pleased the xeloda worked for you - it worked wonders for me, too!

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 2, 2007 08:38AM LuAnnH wrote:

If you are hormone positive I would tell the onc because you may need to suppress your ovaries so you don't feed your cancer.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 2, 2007 12:20PM tracey2424 wrote:

thanks for the replies ladies, katie i have followed your posts for months as we are very similar in diagnosis. i found Xelodia a very easy chemo did you?
i am also hormone negative.

Tracey.

Aug 2, 2007 01:21PM katie11 wrote:

Hi Tracey,

I'm ER+ but I was doing Xeloda in combination with taxotere and it was very doable. I find out tomorrow what my next step is. Have you mentioned the periods to your onc yet?

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 2, 2007 03:15PM slonedeb wrote:

girls i am er pr postive and her2neg ive been on xeloda for a month one week on one week off during this 2nd round my period started and i havent had a period for almost 3 years any idea why tis would happen deb from ky

Dx 10/7/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 3, 2007 07:22PM Traci-----TripNeg wrote:

Hey girls,
Had to put my 2 cents in on this one. I had my regular period until treatment #3. Then, after my normal cycle, I had a heavy period for 22 days in a row. Man, did that suck. Since...........nothing.
Traci
Trip Neg BRCA + If I never look behind me, my troubles will be few. Supertramp. Dx 2/12/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 3, 2007 07:23PM Traci-----TripNeg wrote:

ps I just had treatment # 5 of 6.

Trip Neg BRCA + If I never look behind me, my troubles will be few. Supertramp. Dx 2/12/2007, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 0/14 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 3, 2007 07:24PM Traci-----TripNeg wrote:

pss treatments are 3 weeks apart.

Aug 14, 2007 07:14AM mason204 wrote:

For what it's worth, I had 3 separate rounds of chemo--ACT, then 6 months later, Vinorelbine/Herceptin, then 1 year later Vinorelbine/Herceptin again. Each time my period stopped during treatment and after treatment, about the same frequency as you mention, each time my period returned. I keep waiting for menopause but it hasn't happened yet.

Cheryl - Mets dx Aug/06 (lungs, liver, bones, abdomen) Dx 12/23/2003, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 4/10 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 14, 2007 08:13AM mom2acat wrote:

After I finished chemo in Dec. 2003, I had one period about a month later. In Feb of 2004, I was started on Lupron shots every 3 months, haven't had a period since. I had some mild spotting about a year ago; had it checked out and was told it was probably a spike in my estrogen level from a Lupron shot wearing off and I also was switched from Tamoxifen to Arimidex at that time. Haven't had any other episodes of bleeding. No longer on the Arimidex, after my bone mets diagnosis I was switched to Faslodex.

Original dx stage II, May 2003; bone mets April 2007 Dx 4/8/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 5/19 nodes, mets, ER+

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)