Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: How long between new treatments?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 10, 2007 05:28AM

BrandisMom wrote:

Hi. I'm just curious. How long have your oncs given you downtime before changing treatments?

I know they like to stop for a week or two to let the old drugs get completely out of your system before beginning a new regimen.

Can you share what you were on, how long you took a break, and then what you were restarted on?

Thanks!
Debbie Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Aug 10, 2007 09:31AM ming wrote:

I'm just doing hormonals so far - when femara stopped working went straight to faslodex.

Ming - my grandmother name Dx 10/17/2005, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 13, 2007 09:11AM BrandisMom wrote:

Thanks for your response Ming. I'm so happy that faslodex is working for you!

As for the IV chemo drugs....... I guess the time between drugs must vary depending on too many different factors.

Thanks again for your response!
Debbie

Aug 13, 2007 10:38AM katie11 wrote:

Hi Debbie,

I did 7 months of taxotere and xeloda which kept my bone mets stable for long enough to have a mastectomy - I was 'off treatment' for a total of 5 months and all that time there was no progression. Chemo drugs apparently carry on working a long time after you've had your last infusion.

Hope this helps,

Katie xxx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 04:50PM KEaster wrote:

After a year of chemo, I decided to take a break - of course with my Oncologist's blessing.

Before I made my decision, I asked my Dr if taking a month off would be detrimental to my treatment. He said that nothing was going to happen in a month. So I decided to take 6 weeks off. It's been GREAT - I haven't missed going to my Dr's office one bit.

I'll start a new drug regimen this Friday - YIKES!!! I can't believe my break is already over.

I did 10 months of Taxol & Avastin weekly for 3 weeks and had the 4th week off.

I'm switching to Gemzar & Avastin weekly for 3 weeks and then will have the 4th week off.

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)