Join Us

We are 219,486 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: xeloda

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Aug 11, 2007 07:49PM

linda8oh wrote:

i recently started treatment with herceptin and xeloda for recurrence in the mediastinum. i can't find any info on when to expect a dip in wbc with xeloda. i am on my 3rd day. can anyone give me any info on that. tia.

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)

Posts 1 - 7 (7 total)

Aug 11, 2007 10:24PM katie11 wrote:

Hi Linda,

I did xeloda in combination with taxotere for 7 months and was fine with it the whole time. I did 3000mg a day - 2 weeks on, 1 week off. I found this a very easy treatment and, apart from some accumulated tireness, I did not have any other side effects. More importantly, it worked - it zapped some bone lesions so they disappeared all together, others shrank and what remains is now stable. I have now just started tamoxifen which is a hormonal treatment.

I am sure xeloda will work for you, too!

Good luck!

Katie xoxo
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 11, 2007 11:42PM joanne1428 wrote:

I experienced Grade 1-2 Hand-Foot Syndrome, which your onc will be watching you carefully for. It is managed by adjusting the Xeloda dosage and by applying thick cream (i.e. bag balm) to hands and feet

You will know if you get HFS because your feet/hands might hurt a bit, then might get red, peeling and possibly blistery. They will reduce or stop the Xeloda so that you it doesn't get too bad.

Symptoms are cumulative, and I had no real problems until later cycles, starting with about cycle 4.

Good luck, for many Xeloda is a powerful drug. It didnt' work for me, but it works for a long, long time for many people, and it really is pretty easy to tolerate.

Joanne
My hopes are not always realized but I always hope - Ovid Dx 4/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/33 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 05:09AM linda8oh wrote:

thanks for the info joanne. i have read about that syndrome. doesn't sound like fun. sorry the xeloda didn't work for you. hope that you have found something that does.

Aug 12, 2007 05:12AM linda8oh wrote:

didn't see my post come through. thanks for the info katie. glad it worked for you. they started me with 2000 mg a day. will see how it goes, Linda

Aug 12, 2007 05:39AM Buzz wrote:

Linda, I did Xeloda for a year two weeks on, one off, at 2500mg daily. Never had WBC drop at all.

Aug 12, 2007 08:33PM Helen1 wrote:

I have been on xeloda since January of this year. The most problem that i have had is the H/F syndrome. It has gotten "worse" as the xeloda gets cumulative. Buy my onc decreased the dose last time, and I just started the reduced dose cycle yesterday. Mostly my hand and feet are tender, red and sometimes its painful to touch anything, but I keep a pair of the white cotton gloves within easy reach for when I am driving or working. I run a cafeteria and we have to wear vinyl gloves anyway so I put a pair of the cotton ones on first. I use bag balm at night and udder cream during the day ( a thinner bag balm and with aloe vera. I have not had a drop of white or red cells at all, My hair is long enough now, that I am going to have it trimmed ( never thought I would see that day again) But best of all my tumor markers have dropped from 734 (january) to 91 last month. Also, you can find a really good list of all the cancer drugs at www.MayoClinic.com
It will give you a good summary of effects and side effects.
I do have to take nexium when I do the xeloda- But I was also on taxol and/or taxotere for the previous 18 months, and I had to start the nexium then. Good luck. If the xeloda will work for you, it seems to do a fantastic job. It was the 7th chemo my onc used and the first to show any response. I have bone mets to the mid, lower, sacrum and hips.
A mouse eats an elephant a bite at a time (I think I may need a bigger mouse)

Aug 17, 2007 01:08AM linda8oh wrote:

thanks for the info helen. will visit the mayo site. love,linda

Page 1 of 1 (7 results)