Join Us

We are 219,486 members in 84 forums discussing 161,542 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Ruth Ellen's Battle

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Aug 12, 2007 05:23AM

MIdb wrote:

I know I�ve not been a regular poster here, but this site has been a great help to me. All of you ladies were of great help to me over the past couple of years. I always felt sorrow when I would read that someone who I was conversing with passed.

From time to time I have posted about my wife Ruth Ellen�s battle. The latest was to get information on Leptomeningeal Carcinoma. Well, she entered the hospital because of that on July 9th. The Methotrexate treatments were slowing it down, but it was still advancing. An MRI on August 1, show a new problem. A brain lesion that was not present on the 26th of July. We got the results on the 6th, and Ruth decided she was too exhausted to fight anymore. She entered hospice on the 7th, and came home on the 8th.

Her fight ended just before midnight on the 9th (because the hospice nurse had a way to travel, the official time of death was 1:15 am on the 10th). Although there is great sorrow in knowing my beloved wife, and the best friend I�ve ever had is no longer with me, the sting is not there because I know that the moment her life ended, her mom was throwing a �Welcome Home� party for her in heaven. She has a new body, one that cannot get sick. One that will not need tests, or pokes, or ports. She�s been completely healed � permanently! Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)

Posts 1 - 25 (25 total)

Aug 12, 2007 05:46AM Fitztwins wrote:

Dave, I am so sorry about your wife. I truly believe she is in a better place with out pain.

I was at the Barry County (Michigan) RFL event, and there was a memorial to someone who passed on the 9th. Candles burning all night, and a surivor t-shirt that was never picked up. Every time I walked passed it, it took me back. I wanted to stop and ask.

May you find peace and prayers for strength.

Janis
Enjoy Every Sandwich. Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 1/19/2005 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap Chemotherapy 2/1/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 5/1/2005 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 6/1/2005 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2006 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/2/2008 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 7/1/2008 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 6/15/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/5/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Aug 12, 2007 10:37AM jacqniel wrote:

So sorry for your loss, Dave. You wife was blessed to have such a strong person walking by her side. Prayers for peace and comfort.
Jacque

Aug 12, 2007 10:46AM Calico wrote:

Dave,
my deepest condolences.

God Bless
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics Dx DCIS/IDC, Stage IIA, Grade 2, ER+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 11:00AM CalGal wrote:

Dear Dave -

I'm so sorry to hear of your beloved Ruth Ellen's passing. I remember you from past discussion threads ... You were a wonderful, supportive husband and best friend to Ruth Ellen.

I too have felt that sense of peace when a loved one is no longer in pain and in heaven.

Thank you for letting us know ...

You're in my prayers.

CalGal
Trip Neg, BRCA1, Mets dx 12/05 despite 2 cm tumor & clear nodes at orig dx 9/04.. Liver, lung & one bone met.

Aug 12, 2007 11:02AM auntgina wrote:

Dave, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I have read your posts before and think you are one in a million. Your Ruth Ellen will be with in your heart, mind and spirit. God Bless. Virginia

Aug 12, 2007 11:47AM MelodyinAZ wrote:

Dave,

I join the others in expressing my deepest sympathies. Ruth Ellen is indeed in a happier place, free of all pain.

My hugs and prayers go out to you and your family.

Melody
Dx 9/25/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, 2/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 12:03PM JerseyGemini wrote:

Dave,

I am so sorry for your loss and am sure you are very proud of Ruth Ellen's brave fight. It sounds like in this beast of no control, she decided she had enough and passed on her terms when she wanted to a place with no pain.

My condolences to you and your family.

Tess

Aug 12, 2007 12:04PM lexi4 wrote:

Dear Dave,

I am so sorry to read about the passing of your beloved. I know that angels rejoiced in her homecoming.

Hugs and Prayers,
Lexi
Dx 8/22/2005, IBC, 3cm, Stage IIIB, Grade 3, 5/6 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 12, 2007 02:20PM KariLynn wrote:

Dave,

I'm sorry for your loss.

Kari
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 02:23PM lastminuteD wrote:

My thoughts and prayers are with you Dave.

Dawn
THINK HAPPY!!! Dx 12/27/2005, IDC, Right, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Dx 3/27/2007, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+ (FISH)

Aug 12, 2007 02:58PM DragonladyTina wrote:

So, so sorry for your terrible loss Dave

Tina
Live, Laugh and Love Dx 12/2/2004, 6cm+, Stage I, Grade 1, 0/19 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 04:03PM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

Ruth Ellen was so lucky to have such a loving husband. Love never dies. I'm sorry for your loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you and the rest of Ruth Ellen's family.

Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 04:08PM dressmaker wrote:

Dave,
So sorry to hear this sad news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Aug 12, 2007 06:15PM WendyV wrote:

Dave,
I am so very sorry to learn of Ruth Ellen's passing. With tears in my eyes I read your wonderful words, and could picture a party in heaven for your beautiful wife. She's with God now, one more angel at his side to watch over all of us.
Healing prayers to you Dave
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 12, 2007 07:16PM katie11 wrote:

Dear Dave,

I'm so sorry to read of yet another wonderful woman losing the battle against this dreadful disease. Please know that Ruth Ellen and yourself are in my thoughts.

Katie
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 07:42PM LinTol wrote:

Dave,
I am so very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were a great supporter.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Linda
Linda Dx 5/2006, IDC, Stage IV, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 12, 2007 09:00PM lam wrote:

Dave,

Our hearts break over & over again when we read posts like yours - I am sorry that you have lost Ruth Ellen to this horrible disease. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Hugs,
Les-Ann

Aug 12, 2007 09:57PM sportycath wrote:

Sorry too, to hear of your loss Dave. It is lovely though to know that she is in a special place with her Mum and free of pain and everything else that goes along with cancer. Take care Cathy

Aug 13, 2007 05:45AM wallan wrote:

I don't know you... but your post has touched me. I am sorry for your loss. Your wife was lucky to have such a man who loved her so much.

I hope in time, your grief will become more bearable. I will pray for you.

Wendy A
Dx 3/29/2004, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 2/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/31/2004 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Chemotherapy 5/31/2004 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/30/2004 Whole-breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Dx 1/25/2017, LCIS/DCIS/ILC/IDC/IDC: Mucinous/IDC: Cribriform, Left, <1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/7/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Aug 13, 2007 05:51AM jpsgirl96 wrote:

Dave, I am so sorry for your loss. I have read your posts and have been so touched that you could find it possible to reach out to others here even as you were going through your own pain. My thoughts are with you. Leigh

Dx 1/15/2006, ILC, Stage IIIA, 6/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/1/2006 Lumpectomy: Left, Right; Lymph node removal: Left, Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 3/23/2006 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/1/2006 Breast

Aug 13, 2007 01:33PM LuAnnH wrote:

Dave,

I am very sorry for your loss. Ruth Ellen was fortunate to have a wonderful man like you by her side.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 13, 2007 05:00PM bevnurse wrote:

Dave,
I am so sorry to read of your loss but so happy that Ruth Ellen is at peace and is celebrating with her other family members and her Lord.

I pray you will find comfort and understand how much your support and love helped her.

Hugs,
Bev
Beverly Dx 11/11/2004, IDC, 4cm, Stage II, Grade 3, 1/8 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 14, 2007 07:09AM jansdaughter wrote:

Dave, I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost my mom five weeks ago to this horrid disease. My dad took care of mom just like you did Ruth Ellen, with love and devotion. Mom and Ruth Ellen were both blessed to have men like you. I know there are no words to comfort you. I am thinking of you. Dianne

Aug 14, 2007 09:18AM mom2acat wrote:

Dave, I am so sorry. (((HUGS)))and blessings to you.

Original dx stage II, May 2003; bone mets April 2007 Dx 4/8/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 5/19 nodes, mets, ER+

Aug 14, 2007 12:02PM slonedeb wrote:

dave we have never talked but i know you was on this journey with the rest of us just think your beloved wife is resting in the arms of jesus and i know she is happy there so when youre down just picture her in the arms of jesus and that will get you through deb 238

Dx 10/7/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (25 results)