Join Us

We are 217,519 members in 84 forums discussing 160,606 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Newest drugs available

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 14, 2007 02:24AM

BrandisMom wrote:

Hi everyone!

Does anybody out there have any names of or info on any brand new chemo drugs for breast cancer?

Thanks!
Debbie Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Aug 14, 2007 05:32AM Bimmer wrote:

I think alot will depend on the type of cancer.. My wife is triple negative and therefore any hormone type drugs do not work on her. She has tried epirubicin, abaraxane (both fairly new), xeloda, navelbine and now carboplatin.. There are lots of new chemo drugs out there but they are not for everybody. I even raed about a new experimental platnum based drug call "Aldoplatin" (I think that's right)..

Bimmer

Aug 14, 2007 09:28AM CTG wrote:

Look at Clinical Trials there are many drugs in the pipeline. You need to look through all of the trial listings.

U.S. National Institutes of Health :
www.clinicaltrials.gov

National Cancer Institute:
www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials

MD Anderson Clinical Trial Link:
http://utm-ext01a.mdacc.tmc.edu/dept/prot/clinicaltrialswp.nsf/disease

Memorial Sloan-Kettering Clinical Trial Link:
http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/2270.cfm

UCLA Jonsson Cancer Center Clinical Trial Link:
http://www.cancer.mednet.ucla.edu/trial-viewer/

To Check other Hospitals click on link below and search your state

NCI Approved Cancer Centers Listed by State:
http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/cancer_centers/cancer-centers-list.htm

I do believe in Clinical Trials as they offer the newest drugs available. Thankfully this is how I was able to get started on Tykerb. I have participated in clinical trials since 2005 and I have learned the overall care is the best. The FDA monitors your results along the way and you are watched very closely by the oncologist.

It is research that brings us the newest drugs and it is those that do trials that help pave the way for the future. I urge all to look to clinical trials.

CTG
dx fall05 stage4 liver and bone mets
dx fall06 brain mets / spring07 brain mets gone

Aug 14, 2007 08:58PM BrandisMom wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I agree that clinical trials are the way to go (for me anyway). I, too, have been on one since October 2005. I was scared to death to try it, but a voice inside told me to go with it. I'm so glad I listened, as it bought me two years of no progression and lots of shrinkage!

You're right about the close monitoring on the trials. That is a definite upside. If ANYTHING at all starts to go wrong, they find it and pull you off immediately. I think that's great, as opposed to traditional therapies where progression is not detected as soon as those of us on trials simply because the testing is not done as frequently.

It looks like the run of my trial is coming to an end for me. I wanted to research any new drugs out there as my onc and I plan our next plan of attack. I am lucky that I do have an opportunity to see many new drugs, as I'm an oncology office manager. However, there are still a few newbies that do slip by....... that's why I posted the thread.

Thanks again and hugs to everyone!
Debbie

Aug 14, 2007 11:55PM PaulaBeth wrote:

Here is the list I keep adding to:

Adriamycin
Doxil (Adriamycin in fat)
epirubicin
cyclophosphamide
methotrexate
5-fluorouracil
Xeloda (capecitabine)
Gemzar