Join Us

We are 217,587 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: mixed up

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 14, 2007 12:13AM

Tracy1964 wrote:

hi i psted the other day that i had good news on my scan result and i thank you for all you good wishes . just before my scan i had markers done and i got the results yesterdY ,well i was so amazed as they had gone up to 48 from 22 . the nurse was surprised also (oncol still on holiday) its only nbeen 6 weeks since chemo ended , and i started aromasin about 3 weeks ago . i have been so low lately and now this has made me worse . any insight? i did post this under my good news again but thought i better start a new one . thanks .

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)

Posts 1 - 5 (5 total)

Aug 14, 2007 02:17AM ozzie2 wrote:

Hi Tracy well I am not the expert on markers ..but I would think that markers of 48 is Excellent? mine and others here are a lot higher some into the hundreds and others in the thousands ..Markers markers what do they really mean?
stay calm..
hugs..
DCIS and IDC 96. ER/PR + HER2- bone skin mets06 ,Lung mets May08

Aug 14, 2007 02:45AM Member_of_the_Club wrote:

48 is only slightly elevated. My original onc (my current one doesn't do markers) said he wouldn't be concerned unless it was over 100. the treatment itself could do this, as well as all sorts of other factors (infection, alcohol consumption). My markers were once 70, and no mets.

I actually think the nurse shouldn't give her reaction like that. All it does is alarm you and doesn't give you information.
Dx 9/30/2004, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/17 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 03:18AM jacqniel wrote:

Hi Tracy
My onc doesn't get to upset over cancer markers. He uses them as an overall tool. My markers have been between 90 and 112 for quite some time. My last one was the 112. He said he doesn't get too worried unless they double - or too excited unless they go down by 50%. While you doubled, you are still very close to the normal range.
I would take a deep breath and wait for your next blood work. Here is a passage from the Bible I plan on remembering whenever I am faced with not so great numbers or scans. Luke 12:25-26 "Can your worries add a single moment to your life? Of course not! And if your worry can't do little things like that, what is the use of worrying over bigger things?"
Enjoy the day - hug your loved ones. Don't let fear and worry rob you of one minute.
Hugs and prayers - Jacque

Aug 14, 2007 03:46AM PaulaBeth wrote:

My onc always wants to see a trend, so try not to worry until you have a couple of more tests. He also said you could do two marker tests an hour apart and the results would be different.

Aug 14, 2007 04:06AM BrandisMom wrote:

Hi Tracy!

I know it's upsetting when we get any info at all that suggests anything negative. But of all the things out there, tumor markers are the least accurate. A score of 0-38 is the "norm", but as you'll see on here, many of us are way above that. When my mets were first diagnosed, my tumor markers were 1150!!! Once I started treatment, we got them down to a low of 48. Then they started creeping up again (since December). Very slowly but nonetheless they crept up. Now I'm at 112 and my onc says it's time to switch treatment.

I know, easier said than done, but try to stay calm. The tumor markers are affected by so many different things. Stress has a big influence on that number! So does what you ate, drank and put into your body (other medicines). You said you just started aromasin -- maybe that sent your tumor markers into a tizzy.

I'm sure it's probably nothing, but it's a great thing that your onc is on it and watching.

Hugs,
Debbie

Page 1 of 1 (5 results)