Join Us

We are 217,647 members in 84 forums discussing 160,665 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: scan results and a lung met question

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 14, 2007 06:04AM

BearMan52 wrote:

Hey Gang (my "gang of hope"):
We just received our PET/CT results after 4 months on Navelbine/Herceptin (which followed Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin)...tumor markers had gone down into the normal range, but last few weeks bounced back up, so a scan. We have progressions in Dana's right axilla (an additonal node grew, and showed an SUV of 8.0) and the hip met has grown, although shows sclerotic, which I understand is part of healing (but it also means there was more area to heal)...probably the most concerning is that we apparently opened up a new front: 2 lung nodules---1 in right middle lobe which measures 7 mm and 2.2 SUV; 1 in anterior left upper lobe, 8 mm with 2.6 SUV (from report: "These two enlarging nodules are suspicious for metastatic pulmonary disease�). We're due to meet with our onc on Thursday (he's out of town), so I'm wondering if anyone could give me some perspective on "nodules." Since they haven't been there before, I think mets is a safe assumption (even though low SUV)...I just don't know if nodules are better/worse than lung lining, pleura effusion, etc.

We were prepping to switch to Xeloda/Tykerb anyway and that starts today.

Thanks much for any insight!
Barry Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)

Posts 1 - 11 (11 total)

Aug 14, 2007 06:20AM jacqniel wrote:

So sorry for the progression. I can't answer any of your questions - but wanted you to know I wish you and your wife the best as she starts her new tx. Hope this kicks the beasts butt!

Aug 14, 2007 08:17AM katie11 wrote:

Hi Barry,

What an amazing support you are!

I don't have lung mets either, but I am sure someone will be along soon with some good advice. The new treatment schedule sounds good to me and I know there are lots of women who have had fantastic results with these drugs.

Good luck!

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 12:05PM BearMan52 wrote:

Hi JacqueN and Katie,
Thanks much for the wishes and encouragement...and best to the both of you!
-Barry

Aug 14, 2007 02:00PM ming wrote:

Hi - don't know answ to your questions about lung nodules vs lining or effusion. But I know about progression news and how it can rock your world...at least for a while. My hubby like you has learned along with me a whole new language - SUV's and tumor markers etc. What a blessing that you and she can talk about these things together and with the onc when he gets back in town. Glad you have already started a new treatment - praying for you both!

Ming - my grandmother name Dx 10/17/2005, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 03:58PM BearMan52 wrote:

Thanks Ming...yep, it's amazing what we learn and understand...and I couldn't imagine doing this in any other way but "we." Thanks so much for your thoughts...and especially your prayer!

Aug 14, 2007 05:06PM WendyV wrote:

Barry - you are so cute! "Gang of Hope" - I rather like the sound of that! I'm so sorry that you and Dana have been dealt this blow. My mets are liver and bone so I don't know much about lung mets, but there are many women on this thread who have had their own experiences with lung mets and I'm sure they will be along soon to share their stories.

You are so right to refer to your wife's experiences as "we" and "our". My husband and I do the same thing, there is really no other way to address the issue. Cancer effects the whole family not just the person who has cancer. I admire you so much for coming to these boards looking for answers, hope and encouragement. While my husband would disagree, I often feel that he has it far worse than I do. He has to think about what life would be like without me, that he could be left to care for 3 kids by himself, I just can't imagine how that would feel.

Dana is so very lucky to have you by her side. I've heard great things about Tykerb and Xeloda, and I hope it stays that way as I know that if Herceptin stops working for me this will the next treatment for me too! I have a good feeling about this combo and I pray that Dana has a great response!

Take care of yourself and your beautiful wife!

From one of the "gang"
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 14, 2007 06:15PM BearMan52 wrote:

Hi Wendy,
Thanks for your kind words..."gang of hope" just seemed like the exact right description...and people probably have no idea how much us caregiver spouses draw from these boards...for the exact things you said: answers, hope and encouragement. You and these folks are the bravest, most courageous people I know. Sounds like you and your husband have a similar "we" set up...very good!

Thanks again...and thanks for being part of the "gang"
Barry

Aug 14, 2007 08:20PM LuAnnH wrote:

Barry,

I have had a lung nodule from the get go that is not mets. I am not sure what all can cause a nodule but they do not necessarily mean mets. Hopefully that is nothing to worry about.

On a side note, I had emailed about inviting your wife to our monthly lunches here in Cinti/Middletown, but we have not met for a bit. I usually start the emails to get a lunch date set but had been so busy the past few months that I didn't get to it. I am planning on trying to gather everyone together in the next 30 to 60 days to go out to lunch. Hopefully Dana will be able to join us.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 15, 2007 04:58AM BearMan52 wrote:

Hi LuAnn,
Thanks for your note and encouragement...and a Cinci/Middletown lunch would be great...I had mentioned that to Dana and she's interested...keep us posted...meanwhile your "succes stories" document continues to inspire us! Thanks!
Barry

Aug 15, 2007 02:29PM LauraGTO wrote:

Hi Barry -
I have 2 "nodules" on my lung...they haven't grown or changed in a year now, so my Dr. swears they're "just nodules" - not mets. Hang in there...It's truly a roller coaster ride. Best wishes to both of you.
With hope there are possibilities. Dx 7/2005, ILC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 2, 1/11 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 15, 2007 02:56PM BearMan52 wrote:

Thanks LauraGTO...that's good to hear...hanging in there on the roller coaster ride is exactly how it is. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (11 results)