Join Us

We are 217,588 members in 84 forums discussing 160,642 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Getting Scan Results Today

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 14, 2007 07:12AM

Buzz wrote:

Hi all,

I have been NED since my February '07 PET/CT, after an original diagnosis in 2004 of "innumerable liver and bone mets." Two years of weekly Taxol/Avastin, and one year of weekly Xeloda, got me to NED.

New onc at that time said "chemo break" and started me on Faslodex (I had already tried Femara and Aromasin, but could not tolerate side effects.) When I started Faslodex in March '07, the new onc drew tumor markers (first time I had had this test.) The result was 80 (she said normal is around 40.)

I had a monthly Faslodex injection in March, April, May, June, and July. Markers each time have been slowly rising, and in late July reached 168. Doc said "lets get a scan and have a look." I did a PET early last week, and will get the results this morning.

I am, of course, hoping it still shows NED. But I am prepared for whatever. I still feel fine, and still have lots and lots of tricks in the bag for treatment. I can use Avastin again, and Xeloda. I have only progressed once, on Taxol, so that is the only med "off my list" of things to use.

Please send positive thoughts for me today.

Thanks. Buzz Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)

Posts 1 - 19 (19 total)

Aug 14, 2007 07:20AM jpann39 wrote:

Hi Buzz,
My thoughts and prayers will be with you that your scan results are good.....

You have a very large bags of tricks still available to you so I know things will work just fine .
Hugs
Jule
'Gain strength by the positive and don't be sapped by the negative" Dx 11/4/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 07:32AM KariLynn wrote:

Sending positive thoughts to you. You have kicked cancer's butt before and will do it again if need be!!

Kari
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 08:08AM katie11 wrote:

Hi Buzz,

Bucket loads of positive vibes are coming your way for fantastic scan results and continued NED!

Hugs,

Katie xx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 09:15AM mom2acat wrote:

(((HUGS))) and I am thinking positive thoughts that you will get good news.

I am on Faslodex also, since April 2007, and my tumor markers have been going down too.
Original dx stage II, May 2003; bone mets April 2007 Dx 4/8/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 5/19 nodes, mets, ER+

Aug 14, 2007 12:07PM Buzz wrote:

Many thanks for all the kind wishes. Unfortunately, the scan results were not good. I've gone from completely NED to multiple tumors throughout the spine, rib cage, and liver, and two new tumors in the left breast (previous cancer was in the right breast, so this is a new primary, apparently.)

Not what I wanted to hear, obviously, since I was so hoping the Faslodex would work for me. But alas, it did not. So I'm going to ponder my next move for a few days, and decide next week what to do.

Aug 14, 2007 12:45PM jpann39 wrote:

Im very sorry to hear this Buzz, but I know you will jump back in fighting next week so take a breather, then hit it hard and strong and you will do just fine....

Hugs
Jule
'Gain strength by the positive and don't be sapped by the negative" Dx 11/4/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage II, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 12:54PM Denny123 wrote:

I am so sorry to read this Buzz, and you will certainly be in my prayers.
You have been such an inspiration to me and will always be my hero!
Dx 12/14/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 3, 4/40 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 2/20/2003 Lymph node removal: Left, Right; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (right): Latissimus dorsi flap Chemotherapy 3/31/2003 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Gemzar (gemcitabine), Taxotere (docetaxel), Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 10/10/2003 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 1/30/2004 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 7/5/2011 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy

Aug 14, 2007 01:24PM katie11 wrote:

Dear Buzz,

I'm so very, very sorry that the treatment didn't work for you. I also had progression with my first lot of chemo I did after a diagnosis of bc and mets at the same time, but taxotere and xeloda helped stabilise my disease. The same can happen for you, too, honey. There are lots of treatment options available for you.

Please know that you are in my thoughts.

Hugs,

Katie xxx
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 01:32PM ming wrote:

A Poem to our Opponent Cancer:

Progression's a punch from the blue
Knocks us down for a while, yes 'tis true
Soon we're back on our feet
And revenge will be sweet
As we lift up our fists against you
Ming - my grandmother name Dx 10/17/2005, ILC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 02:42PM Place wrote:

So sorry. Good luck with your bag ot f� tricks.

I'm new here what does NED means#Thanks

Aug 14, 2007 03:06PM mom2acat wrote:

I'm sorry, ((((HUGS))))

Original dx stage II, May 2003; bone mets April 2007 Dx 4/8/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 5/19 nodes, mets, ER+

Aug 14, 2007 04:24PM TMB_4winds wrote:

i am so sorry to read this news. i also progressed on faslodex with tumor marker climbing to over 500. abraxane got it back to normal range. hope you will also soon be back below 40 also.
twyla

Aug 14, 2007 04:30PM RobinWendy wrote:

Buzz:

So sorry to hear your news. I, too, did not do well on Faslodex. Now I am on Xeloda and its too soon to know if it is working. I'm wishing you all the best that you'll find the right tx that will work for you.

And to Place... NED means "No Evidence of Disease"... he is the date we all want to have.. although we are happy to share him with others

Robin
dx Stage II primary BC in Jan. 2001;dx with DCIS on other breast in Jan. 2003; dx with mets to lungs in Jan. 2004 and in May 2007, mets spread to liver. Dx ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 14, 2007 04:53PM WendyV wrote:

Oh crap Buzz - this just stinks! I'm so sorry you have to deal with the recurrence and the possibility of a new primary cancer. But you know what? You were NED once and you can get there again! - I know you can!!! Take a deep breath, relax and get your game plan together, there should be lots of options available for you!!

Ming - love the poem!

Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 14, 2007 04:56PM ForTheMoment wrote:

Darn it Buzz.. I hate to hear that. Good news is like you said, you have lots of weapons left to use. You'll be back to NED in no time.

Huge hugs!!

Aug 14, 2007 05:21PM Buzz wrote:

Thanks everybody. I feel better already!

Aug 14, 2007 06:15PM jacqniel wrote:

So sorry Buzz - how disappointing. You've done it before - now go do it again. NED is waiting for you. Hugs, Jacque

Aug 14, 2007 07:19PM Fitztwins wrote:

Well darnoria!!!! that sucks. Each new test gives us a road map for the next line of defense. I am sorry that NED left you after two years. Time to call him back!!

Janis
Enjoy Every Sandwich. Dx 12/12/2004, IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 1/18/2005 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap Chemotherapy 1/31/2005 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 4/30/2005 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 5/31/2005 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 12/31/2005 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 6/1/2008 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 6/30/2008 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 6/14/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/4/2015 Perjeta (pertuzumab)

Aug 14, 2007 08:07PM LuAnnH wrote:

sorry to hear your tx was not working. You may consider a new biopsy to recheck hormone status. Your cancer may have morphed to a different status as well as HER2. That may help better decide the next tx option. Sending you lots of positive thoughts.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (19 results)