Join Us

We are 217,648 members in 84 forums discussing 160,665 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Disability and Retirement Account

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 17, 2007 02:55AM

laurieo wrote:

Oh boy! I'm in the process of filing for divorce and found out that my retirement disability is a problem for me.

When I applied, H and I decided that we would choose the option that pays less now, but would pay the same amount ($1,000) upon my death for the rest of HIS life.

Turns out this cannot be changed - even by divorce! So, the jerk gets to collect on my retirement after I die for the rest of his life. I'm livid - he does not deserve it!

I'm meeting with my atty next week, but was wondering if anyone had any practical advice or experience with this subject.

Thanks - Laurie Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)

Posts 1 - 2 (2 total)

Aug 17, 2007 04:49AM KariLynn wrote:

My only advice is to not get too worked up about it and outlive him.

There are a lot of retirement benefits that stay with the ex-spouse (I wouldn't be surprised if you will still be eligible for some of his.)

Let the lawyers figure it out and spend your time on stuff you enjoy and can control.
If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 17, 2007 05:31AM roseg wrote:

Do you have other assets you're splitting?
Maybe you can get a bigger cut of those.

That does suck.

I'm going to speculate that it helps some poor women who never worked and their miserable husbands got disabled and left them.
Rose

Page 1 of 1 (2 results)