We are 196,648 members in 81 forums discussing 144,826 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: PET Scan Question

Topic: PET Scan Question

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 28, 2007 03:51AM

laurieo wrote:

Hi everyone: Would a PET scan show is there was anything in the bones? Or is a bone scan preferable?

I've been having significant pain in both my hips for the past several months and it's not getting better (worse actually). My primary doc feels it's bursitis, but with this cancer thing going on.......I always wonder.

I did have a PET scan in July and it didn't show anything in the hips. Do I also need a bone scan, or does the PET show everything?

Thanks, ladies!
Laurie Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)

Posts 1 - 10 (10 total)

Aug 28, 2007 07:43AM KariLynn wrote:

I think a PET would show but would get a bone scan - maybe it would show what the problem is (other than cancer)

If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 28, 2007 08:56AM BearMan52 wrote:

It would show up on a PET...my wife has a bone met in her hip and a PET has picked it up in pretty good detail.

Aug 28, 2007 09:54AM ForTheMoment wrote:

This is so ironic.. I asked my onc that exact question today due to pain in the hip that I have had for months now. It has never shown up on the PET scan, but oddly since switching chemos, it has let up for the first time in months. Makes me wonder. The spot on my spine did show up on my last PET.

He told me the PET "should" catch it, but has decided to order me a bone-scan just to be safe. In my case, the outcome really doesn't matter as I am already on all the treatments he would put me on for bone mets anyway. However, at least we will know exactly what we are dealing with.

I would insist on a bone scan, if for no other reason than to put your mind at ease. However, remember, a lot of drugs can cause joint pain. My hips, ankels, wrists get very sore and haven't really improved much since starting all of these drugs.

Good luck!

Aug 28, 2007 02:33PM WendyV wrote:

Laurie - my bone mets were found on PET scan and then confirmed with MRI. I actually had a few false positives on the PET too, that were not seen on the MRI. Good Luck
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 28, 2007 10:40PM riverinerabbit wrote:

I had a PET scan in February and it showed no actvitity of my bone mets, went onto Faslodex, had a PET two weeks ago and a bone and a CT. The bone scan showed new and old activity, the CT, a tiny node which hadn't changed since the last CT in Jan and the PET showed huge amount of activity in the bones, a new nodule on the aorta and external lung nodes. I think it's good to cross examine all tests and to draw parallels to get a better picture. Started chemo again, (the red one YUGHHHHH!) last week. I have a slow growing, grade 1-2 which can be managed but, just won't go away. So glad to have the facility of a PET scan. Our Medical Aids in this country won't cover the PET scan. Very slimy bunch !!!!!!Anyone who has had bone mets for 'years' ? I'd love to hear from you XXXXX

River Dx 8/14/1999, DCIS, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 1, 0/9 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 29, 2007 01:16AM GoldenEyes wrote:

I was told by my Onc. that PET will show EVERYTHING....Good luck to you hun....KEEP FIGHTING LADIES!

Dx 9/20/2007, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/1 nodes, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Aug 29, 2007 02:56AM BJW wrote:

i was told the pet only show cancer when it is 1 cm...last year (may and June) i had a pet/ct, bone scan and an xray because of ongoing hip pain-all negative. an MRI in early august showed a 1cm lesion in the lumbar spine-insist on a MRI. apparently it is the gold standard for spine mets. good luck! And ask for copies of ALL reports.

jill

Aug 29, 2007 03:31AM LuAnnH wrote:

I have never had a PET scan, as you said the insurance does not like to pay for it. My cancer has been detected by CT & bone scan so far. My onc said he will order one if I have signs of cancer spreading but not finding anything on the CT or bone. The problem with the PET is that there are alot of false positives on them. At this point in time I am content with my tx and the scans I get. Anything that is in question with my CT or bone we MRI to get definitive answers.

LuAnn
LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 29, 2007 07:00AM mom2acat wrote:

I had a PET scan that showed "hot spots" in the bone, but my oncologist ordered a bone scan to confirm my diagnosis of mets.

I would recommend getting your insurance to pre-approve the PET scan; I didn't, and my claim was denied. It was paid though, after I filed an appeal, but if I have to have another one, I'm going to ask for pre-approval first to save myself a hassle over it.
Original dx stage II, May 2003; bone mets April 2007 Dx 4/8/2007, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 5/19 nodes, mets, ER+

Aug 29, 2007 08:27AM joanalice wrote:

I had Pet Scan and an MRI in June. The Pet scan did't show any activity, but the MRI showed an 8mm suspicious lesion in my spine. I asked the onc about this and she said the lesion was probably a met but was not active enough to show up on the Pet. She is just treating it with Faslodex and Lupron for now, hoping it will go to sleep. I guess a biopsy is the best for diagnosis, though they are sometimes read wrong too. What's a poor cancer patient to do??
Dx 7/1998, Stage IV, Grade 2, 0/11 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 1 (10 results)