We are 196,348 members in 81 forums discussing 144,710 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: TAXOL - WEEKLY OR EVERY THIRD WEEK??

Topic: TAXOL - WEEKLY OR EVERY THIRD WEEK??

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Aug 30, 2007 04:33PM

plb2007 wrote:

I'm supposed to start taxol in a few weeks (with avastin and xeloda.) Have any of you had taxol weekly instead of every third week? Is one more effective than the other?

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)

Posts 1 - 9 (9 total)

Aug 30, 2007 05:07PM geeta75 wrote:

Hi! It's been about 4 years since I've had Taxol, but it was every other week. I had 4 cycles of AC and then 4 of Taxol. I'm not sure the effectiveness of one over the other--there are so many combinations and frequencies of drugs, it's hard to keep up! That's a great question to take to your onc if none of the ladies here quite know the answer.

Good luck to you, and big fat hugs!
Geeta
Dx 10/1/2003, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/8 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 30, 2007 05:28PM WendyV wrote:

After being dx with mets I did Taxol + herceptin weekly (3 weeks on - one week off for the Taxol) I never asked which was better, weekly vs every 3 weeks. My onc just told me that weekly Taxol was what he felt to be the standard for mets and it was also much easier to tolerate on a weekly basis as opposed to every 3 weeks. I agree with Geeta ask your onc and see what he says.
Wendy
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Aug 30, 2007 05:52PM Paulette531 wrote:

Weekly is supposed to be a smaller dose and supposedly ease the side affects. I tried the weekly and still had the side affects so went ahead and took the full dose to get it over with faster.

It's raining it's pouring the old man is snoring..."never never never give up" Winston Churchill Dx 11/3/2003, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 30, 2007 05:53PM LiniWD wrote:

I have Taxol 3 weeks on and 1 week off. I had 9 straight weeks of it (along with Avastin every other week and Zometa once a month)and then a PetScan that showed stable, no progression, so my onc moved me on to the standard protocol of 3 on, 1 off.

The weekly dose of Taxol has had, for me, less side effects than any of the previous every 3 week chemos I've been on. My counts also stay much steadier on the weekly dose. I have the chemo on Thursday, work from home on Friday, crash on Saturday/Sunday and come back up for work again on Monday. And that week off is just wonderful - I have energy for that whole week!

The onc sees me monthly and is monitoring via counts and tumor markers - hopefully, this will keep things stable for a good while.

Good luck to you!!
Lynn
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams....live the life you have imagined. Dx 10/26/2004, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, 3/6 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 30, 2007 05:59PM KimRI wrote:

Hi,
I've had Taxol weekly for 16mths. now. I had a recurrence to my liver and vertebra. I tolerate it well. I start to go a little downhill the afternoon that I get my treatment and then the whole next day/night I feel somewhat nauseous w/heartburn. I just take an over the counter heartburn pill & Phenergan anti nausea. By the following day, I'm completely fine.

I also had Carboplatin with the Taxol for the first 6mths. of treatment. That was weekly too. I would go 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off. I didn't lose 1 strand of hair. I think your body tolerates it better when given in smaller doses.

Kim

Aug 31, 2007 04:27AM KariLynn wrote:

I do two weeks on the one off. Has been very tolerable.

If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying? Dx 6/2/2005, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, 14/25 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Aug 31, 2007 05:36AM ForTheMoment wrote:

I had taxol with original dx in 05. I had it every three weeks. It was horrible for me. Had fever, aches, joint pain, etc. Doc said if we do it again for me, we will do it every week and that it would be much easier on me.

Aug 31, 2007 06:09AM badboob67 wrote:

Ladies,
I just wanted to let you all know that you are in my prayers--praying that your treatments are as easy as possible and you get great results from them!!!

(((hugs)))
When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! bb67.wikispaces.com/ Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Aug 31, 2007 06:30AM boobbuster wrote:

I did taxotere every week and it was very doable. God is able, Stephanie

Page 1 of 1 (9 results)