We are 219,608 members in 81 forums discussing 155,380 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Oct 1, 2007 10:22AM - edited Oct 1, 2007 10:22AM by LuAnnH

LuAnnH wrote:

Ok ladies, the pink month is upon us.  I know there are lots of different feelings among bc patients as to whether you like all the pink or not.  I personally do not mind the pink ribbons and wear mine proudly.  Although most of my stuff was bought for me by my children who feel that is their way to show they are supporting me in this disease.

I went to a dinner last night sponsered by a large bank here in Cincinnati to honor breast cancer survivors.  They had a very well to do employee in their bank to speak as a breast cancer survivor.  When she was done talking I was about to strangle her.  She decided to try and show the humor she found in this disease.  It started out ok, but when she turned and said she thought of breast cancer as I gift I started fuming.  Can anyone tell me where customer service is for breast cancer because I would like to return my gift.  Or better yet, maybe I will re-gift it.  No, on second thought I'll just return it because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  She also broke down how much money she saved on her hair salon in the months she was hairless.  Her grand total between cuts, coloring and waxing was a whoping $2,200!  I don't think I have spent that much at a hair salon in my entire life!  Needless to say by the time she got off the stand I was ready to kill.

I spoke to the marketing director at the end of the evening and asked what they were doing to raise awareness of Stage IV ladies like myself.  I told her I am 44, now terminally ill with breast cancer.  I let her know my childrens ages and how I am a widow and my children will have no parents or grandparents left when I die.  What is it they are willing to do to educate people how NOT under control this disease really is.  I mentioned how young I find ladies in my same condition with children much younger than me.  Something really needs to be done to educate. 

She took off from me as fast as she could.  I am all for awareness and raising money for research.  Problem is too much money that is raised is wasted.  We don't need all the pink stuff everywhere, we need more money put into research.  The general public thinks breast cancer is becoming a disease of the past and we really need the public to see us, the living victims, scared to death we are going to leave our families way too young!  Ok, my vent for the month.  Now I will wear my pink and spread my story.

LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 2 (35 results)

Posts 1 - 30 (35 total)

Oct 1, 2007 11:41AM - edited Oct 1, 2007 11:41AM by badboob67

Luann,

What a horrible experience!!!  I didn't mind the pink ribbons at first, but the whole thing is starting to bother me.  It seems that "pink month" is an excuse for everybody and their brother to exploit BC to make a buck under the guise of fundraising.

As for how much she "saved" by being hairless....I can tell you that I've spent less than $500 in my LIFETIME   I think the problem really is that BC doesn't discriminate and sometimes it's the "boobs" with their BS "gift" talk  (pun intended) and early stage DCIS who get a platform to share their experience. I just don't get it.  Can you believe that I didn't really even understand that BC could be metastatic until I was dx'ed myself from the get-go?!?!?! I had this impression, like many of the "uninitiated", that bc was a walk-in-the-park type thing with a short treatment period followed by a 5-year wait to "prove" the cure. It doesn't help that so many doctors dismiss symptoms and seem to ignore the fact that so many young women are being diagnosed these days with mets right from the start.

Not that I am happy she has Stage IV disease, but I was glad when Elizabeth Edwards "came out". I had the mistaken notion that her condition would spark discussion about living with stage IV bc and what we all face.  It seems that after the news outlets spent a couple of days talking about it, there has been nothing more.  Don't get me wrong: I am not saying that she should somehow be our poster child or constantly talking about and dwelling on her stage IV status. I just thought the news media would maintain some focus on the subject.

Here's what I hate:  During pink month, I have been approached by people in public places seeking donations for pink charities. Sometimes they'll throw in a statistic or two.  Because I still look pretty "normal", they certainly can't know that I have stage IV bc....I find it very uncomfortable.

I wish I was the sort of person that could get up and speak in front of a crowd. I'd holler from the rooftops that we metsters exist and bc isn't always of the "temporary bump in the road" variety!!

(((HUGS)))

Diane

When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! bb67.wikispaces.com/ Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 1, 2007 01:16PM - edited Oct 1, 2007 01:16PM by LuAnnH

You know I thought Elizabeth Edwards would bring more awareness to our cause, but I think she can't afford her illness to overshadow her husband's bid for the white house.  Chances are a person will not get elected if too much of the public thinks his attention will be diverted by his sick possibly dying wife.

Oct 1, 2007 02:45PM jilly47 wrote:

I am not a BC patient, but my mom and 2 close family members are. We all joke about how much we dread October as BC awareness month! Everywhere you turn it's in your face. I think it began with good intentions to raise awareness and to encourage women to go out and get a mammo, but it has gotten really out of hand. I wish the companies who slap a pink ribbon on their products would just take their advertising dollars used to do this and donate it directly for research. I feel that these companies are sort of exploiting the issue, however well intended they may be. Seems as though every package I pick up has a pink ribbon on it; from dog food to toilet paper, Everybody is jumping on the band wagon!

Just my 2 cents on the matter!!

Oct 1, 2007 04:01PM - edited Oct 1, 2007 04:01PM by joanne1428

This is exactly what I dread about October and bc awareness month.  The awareness part is still very important, but awareness for Stage IV is hardly ever a part of the "feel good" package that tends to hit the media, along with all those who "beat" breast cancer or who found their bc to be a "gift"..... I've yet to meet a Stage IVer who still thinks that this is any kind of "gift" .

Day 1 of a long month, but in the end, I guess it is a good cause, just would be nice to see some balance.

Joanne s

My hopes are not always realized but I always hope - Ovid Dx 4/2006, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/33 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Oct 1, 2007 04:04PM - edited Oct 1, 2007 04:05PM by Watson

I see both sides of the Pink Ribbon as well.

What REALLY bothers me are companies who try to sell you a $20 toaster and charge you $30 because they painted it pink and put a ribbon on it. They give a portion of the overage they charged you to BC support, after they pay for advertising, etc.  They use it as a marketing tool!!!

And why can't the yogurt people just donate money?  Why do they make people lick lidsTongue out and mail them in?  How would you like that job?  Opening envelopes full of funky licked yogurt lids?  lol  (You know a lot of people don't wash them, but just do like the commerical and lick it!)

Oh well, at least pink is a pretty color~

Watson

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. - Billy Joel Dx 1/29/2008, Stage IV, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Oct 1, 2007 04:07PM GeetasMom wrote:

I think another problem with Elizabeth Edwards is knowing how she'll be perceived (or her husband will) as trying to get a vote because she has bc.  I heard someone say just the other day that he's using his wife's disease to get votes.  So it seems instead of being able to take advantage of the forum she could have, she has to keep quite because the political groups will use it against them.. it's a shame what people do in the name of politics.

Oct 1, 2007 04:21PM - edited Oct 1, 2007 04:21PM by WendyV

LuAnn - I know exactly what you are talking about with the whole gift concept - I had a very similar experience just about a month ago when I was on a panel of women who were all breast cancer survivors!   Many women commented to me and put things into perspective - the problem is that women choose to use the word gift when they really are just trying to articulate that breast cancer helped to open their eyes to life and to cause them to look at things in a new and better way.  Breast cancer is not a gift in any sense, but despite all the negatives, some good can be found.

It was so ironic to hear you talking about all the "pink" everywhere.  I've been dreading this month for a long time, October 9th is my one year cancer-versary - one year of living with BC and mets to boot!  When I was dx last year it was horrible - everywhere I looked BC was in my face - I felt like the poster child for breast cancer!  And here were are one year later, excited to be doing well, but all the pink - it all brings back all the memories of how I felt one year ago.  But today - I got up and decided that this is breast cancer awareness month - a month to promote early detection, research, and awareness of this disease.  The month isn't about me, it's not about how I feel, it's about making sure that other women don't have to go through this hell, whether that is through promoting mammograms or trying to raise dollars for research - so I got dressed today in my professional work clothes and wrapped my "feel your boobies" scarf around my neck!    I've gotten lots of comments and lots of opportunities to remind women to get their mammograms, to teach their daughters about self breast exams, and to encourage men to make sure thier wives get mammograms too!   While it's hard and today is only day 1 in the 31 days of October, we have the choice to turn this month into something positive - and I know you LuAnn - in a few days you'll be figuring out a way to take these feelings and in fact turn them into something very positive!      So yes, I've been accussed of being a bit of a pollyanna and viewing the world through rose colored glasses - but hey with stage IV BC - sometimes I need to be like this!

Kiss your grandbaby for me!  Take Care LuAnn!

Wendy

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 1, 2007 05:25PM Catgo wrote:

I was in a shoe store today that had the cards you write your name on when you donate $1.00 to breast cancer.  A pink card if you're a survivor or a white card if you're "just" a supporter. I told the girl that I was neither & I left. I hate that we are left out. They seem to want to make breast cancer a happy, smiley disease,  I feel like the crazy relative no one in the family wants to talk about.  I'm happy about the attention breast cancer gets this month, but not a day goes by that I'm not reminded of my situation.  Cathy

Oct 2, 2007 08:38AM ozzie2 wrote:

Well seems like we all think alike on this..I was aslo surprised to find that Oct is BC mth in the USA is it world wide then?

I wear my pink ribbon with pride, but am so sick of seeing thing in pink, like toilet paper ,cleaning products u name it its in pink here, and how much of the money raised go's to finding a cure for Advance Breast Cancer, there  just isn't any information out in the real world about ABC and I for one am sick of it..There is so much awareness for BC ,but how many people know about Advance BC? and what it intails...Now when the powers to be decide to acknowledge this then I will once again support their products..

hugs

oz

DCIS and IDC 96. ER/PR + HER2- bone skin mets06 ,Lung mets May08

Oct 2, 2007 10:01AM - edited Oct 2, 2007 10:01AM by badboob67

My boys went with me to the grocery store yesterday. Near the checkout stands, there was a display of some product or another (when I saw the pink, i pretty much averted my eyes and moved on). There was a sign on the display that said something about breast cancer awareness. My 12 year old son said, "Well, duh! I'm plenty 'aware'...my mom has cancer!" We got a few "looks" because he said it rather loudly. We just marched proudly on to continue our shopping.  I didn't realize that pink month bugs him just as much as it does me!

(((HUGS))) 

When you're down to nothing, GOD is up to something! bb67.wikispaces.com/ Dx 2/15/2006, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, 24/27 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Oct 2, 2007 11:04AM sazylazzy wrote:

LuAnnH,

This is my first "pink month"of many pink months to come I'm sure as a bc survivor.  I too am a Stage IV ER+/PR+ HER2-. I was dx in July07 at already a stage IV. I had the yearly mammos and then this year it was 'slightly different'. The doc couldn't even feel the SOB. Didn't see it even with an ultra sound to perform the biopsy.  Sure could see the SOB with the Breast MRI though.  

I too, am already tired of the "pink - happy to have cancer" mentalitly.  However, I believe its up to us ladies (and any guys as well) to educate everyone that - to take care and have a mammo.

Any feel their boobs daily!

There now I feel better as I put on my pink bracelet of "Love Courage and Strength" that my sister and I both wear.

Hugs to all of you! Innocent

Oct 2, 2007 11:51AM donnabres wrote:

I thought that I was alone in feeling this way about Oct.  I was dx 2yrs ago Oct. 25.  Before any treatments, or surgery was started I went from Stage 2 to 4.

I do wear a bracelet sometimes, or a pair of socks with the pink ribbon, but do not over do it.  When I run into someone I haven't seen for a long time, they think that I am done with treatments because I look good.  I do tell them that this will be a lifelong battle, and you are all correct, they all think that it's over and done with in a few months.

I hate seeing and hearing on tv all the advertising that goes on, and how they show everyone who is cured of this disease.  I am glad for them, but agree that more has to be done for those of us who will not be cured in a short time, if ever.

My Dr. said that he was very happy when E. Edwards came out and told about her stage IV.  He was hoping that it would bring more attention to it, and that other women would not hide the fact that they have it.  He said that a lot of women with stage IV, are in denial and won't tell anyone.  Almost like they are ashamed.

We all know there is nothing to be ashamed of.  With the grace of God, we will have excellent care, and live for many, many years.  Yes, even if we have to tolerate the Pink month.

Donna

Oct 2, 2007 12:10PM - edited Oct 2, 2007 12:21PM by AusAla

Thus begins our love/hate relationship with the 'pink' month.  Before and in the beginning of my joining of the metsters, I loved October for being the breast cancer awareness month.  However, as I logged in this morning and see 'another angel' post, my rage began a more rigorous boil.  We are the reality of bc at its ugliest.  I am sickened to see and feel the loss of sister after sister to this damned disease.  My heart breaks as I see friend after friend struggling with progression and moving from treatment to treatment.  Why are we the face of the disease no one wants to see?  I know it is scary...especially to those just diagnosed and going through initial treatment.  But I am tired of being shamed into the corner of the room when there is a 'celebration' of survivors.  It is like I have 'she won't be a survivor for long' stamped on my forehead.  I did the Race for the Cure last year.  There was a survivor walk through the middle of the park....lined with huge pink ribbons and pink balloons.  I truly felt like instead of cheering for me, someone should have been yelling 'dead woman walking'.  I am sorry to those who read this who don't have mets.  But to my mets sisters, you know how I am feeling.  Yes, I am in a mad and down period.....it will pass...it always does.  Yet I am so thankful that I have all of you.....you who have these days too.....that understand how I am feeling.  Lu, thank you, for speaking up for us at the dinner you attended.  It obliviously made the woman you spoke to uncomfortable...but damn, we are the uncomfortable part of this disease.  And thank you for starting this post.  I have wanted to talk about my feelings concerning our recent losses and set backs.  But I do try to keep my posts encouraging.  Some days there just doesn't seem to be enough energy to be upbeat and positive.  I am so sad for our recent losses and for those who are really struggling now.  My heart is breaking..but my mind is angry.  I will participate in breast cancer awareness month activities...but my heart is heavier.

I cherish you all!

Bethie

"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 2, 2007 02:16PM - edited Oct 2, 2007 02:16PM by Dianne

I am also glad that I am not the only one that feels the same as you ladies.  I had BC 11 1/2 years ago and when it returned this past February as Stage IV mets I was devistated.  People do not realize (as I did not) that there is no cure at this stage!!!  We do need to educate the public.  The only way that we can is to use the natural talent of gab that God gave us and tell everyone we come in contact with.  We need to tell them to donate directly for a cure and not buy some toaster or mixer or a pair of boxer shorts that are pink.  Spend all of the money for research and not give to some company for their profit.  Okay I am through ranting (for the time being).  Have a blessed day ladies.

Dianne

South Alabama

Dianne Dx 2/22/2007, ILC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2007 04:30PM katie11 wrote:

Good for you, LuAnn, on making your point!  I find it hard to laugh at a disease that is taking the lives of so many courageous and wonderful women but what galls me most here is the notion (that I've now heard a few times) that cancer can somehow be construed as a 'gift!'  I don't think any one of us would deny that having cancer has brought about some important shifts in the priorities of our lives and perhaps even changed us for the better in some ways.  But, to call it a gift is insulting in the extreme when there are women still dying of this disease.  How ridiculous and thoughtless!

Im so glad you spoke your mind - I do quite a lot of that these days, too!  In fact, I'd say that having cancer has certainly made me a much more forthright person, but a GIFT?!  Living with a terminal disease?  I think not!

Katie xx

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst! Dx 7/15/2006, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 2, 2007 04:41PM - edited Oct 2, 2007 04:41PM by LuAnnH

Ok, as Wendy predicted I am going to get my spin going on this!  I have contacted a person with a major US publication.  I was given the right contact to pitch the story to.  Help me with facts or information that you think will help me get this writer/researcher to put some time into hearing our story and publishing it.  I figure I will give them the link to this thread but I really want to be sure they understand our frustration.  If they can even turn 5 heads to look and say "hey, this is a problem" it will be a start.  As they say "the squeaky wheel gets the grease!"  So let's start squeaking loudly!

Oct 2, 2007 05:31PM sazylazzy wrote:

Good for you LuAnnH!  I'm SQUEAKING!!! I hope that someone does start to take notice. A few months ago - I didn't even know what a grade 4 mets even was now I'm a walking encyclopedia.  What an awful way to become educated.  OUT OF NEED TO KNOW.  are you kidding me.

Oct 2, 2007 05:58PM omlivewbc wrote:

SQUEAK!!

I confess, I too participated in the Race For the Cure events the first few years following my initial Stage II dx in 1999.  Looking back, I really enjoyed all of the attention bestowed on survivors at that event.  Heck, I was awarded a very special pink medal on a pink ribbon after coming through the special finish line wearing my pink t-shirt and my pink race number.  Everyone was cheering.  Would they cheer for me now if they know I'm stage IV??? If any recognition was made of people "living" with cancer in addition to those who believe they're "cured" of cancer, I don't recall.  I too was guilty of the ignorance at that point.

Now that I'm stage IV and "living" with cancer, I find that the whole October and pink thing is lost on me.  My daughter really wants to resume attending the Race for the Cure this year.  She is amazingly sensitive and totally celebrates me as a survivor.  How can I make another excuse again this year?  I just can't.  So we're signed up for the Race later this month.  I checked the "I am a survivor" box on my registration form, but I sure wish there had been an "I live with cancer" box instead.  I'm really going to need to work on my attitude before we do this race.  I hope I'll be able to blend in with the other "survivors" for my daughter's sake.

LuAnn - pls let me know how I can help. 

Olivia

Oct 2, 2007 07:28PM - edited Oct 2, 2007 07:28PM by WendyV

Yep - there is the LuAnn I know and love - you go girl - I'm so proud of you!!!!  Any help you need just let me know!

The whole "survivor" concept is so difficult isn't it.  I cried my heart out this past April when I participated in our local relay for life.  My daughter asked, how you get to be a survivor, since she was estactic to see my nice purple survivor shirt.  When I told her that the definition of a survivor is that you are a survivor from the day you are diagnosed - her smile went away.  She too, like so many others think that a survivor is someone who has won the battle, who has beaten cancer.  It's so hard for us to view ourselves as survivors, I don't think there is any other time that survivor is used for someone who is currently struggling with something. In war, rasing children, in all of these situations surviving means that it is over, done, finished - it's not that way for stage IV cancers, is it?  I wrestle with the whole surviving thing so much - I'm actually trying to articulate these  feelings into an article of sorts that I'm hoping can be used by the ACS at the next relay for life in my area.  I want people to understand how hard this term is for all of us!!!  On some level I suppose that we are surviving, we are living, loving, laughing, and of course crying.  We survive tests, treatments, doctors appointments, well meaning comments, rude comments, the nurse ratchets of the world.  We survive the waits, we survive the roller coaster of emotions, we survive and we move on conquering much more than any other breast cancer "survivor" could ever imagine.   Are we survivors?, while it is hard to embrace I think in many ways we are survivors!!! 

Wendy

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.( bone,liver,brain,lung mets) Dx 10/9/2006, IDC, 4cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 2, 2007 08:11PM - edited Oct 2, 2007 08:11PM by AusAla

LuAnn, I am so proud of you!!!! You amaze me with your creativity and go get 'em attitude.   As you know, I can 'squeak' with the best of them.   Let me know what I can do to help.

Love you, sweetie,

Bethie

"I don't want to be in a battle, but waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse! Pippin, Lord of the Ring: Return of the King Dx 5/13/2002, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 3/17 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 3, 2007 02:25PM - edited Oct 3, 2007 02:25PM by mrs_X_Sunneedazee

Hey, maybe I will dye my white fuzzy hair that is just starting to grow pink for breast cancer awareness.  Maybe it will make people more aware. 

I personally think it is cool that everything is pink and that there is funds being raised for cancer research.  Even if things are overpriced, at least companies are doing something to help.  I bought a really cute pink ribbon keychain at the store the other day, because I thought it was cute. 

Someone my husband works with is sponsoring me to go to a breast cancer survivor luncheon.  Even though I am still undergoing treatment, I consider myself a survivor every day I survive this disease. 

Every day is a gift...........www.amberchase.weebly.com Dx 5/10/2007, IBC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 2, 3/5 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 3, 2007 10:39PM - edited Oct 3, 2007 10:39PM by jjb1984

oh my gosh you guys, if I could bottle all your comments together, it would be me too!  I can't stand this month and it's got both my anniversary and my son's birthday in it.  Who knew October would come back and haunt me...I don't want to be in any race for the cures or the 3 day walk or jog or skip or anything...I think I'd throw up at the whole "survivor" thing when I didn't feel like I belonged. My husband is the captain of the rescue squad and he's putting together a team for the next race.  He doesn't get why I want no part of it.  Plus I'd cry so hard it would just be stressful. And like Diane, I still can't believe that I had no clue about BC and that it could metastisize and then be incurable...until I was stage IV out of the box. Who knew??  And if I didn't know, I knew no one else out there in the regular world does either. 

So thank you, LuAnn, for starting this thread and thanks to all of you for once again, making me feel so not alone in this battle. 

love you all,

Julie

Dx 3/3/2006, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 4, 2007 04:33AM MariaC wrote:

I was diagnosed in 3/07 with bone mets from the start (IDC ER+PR+Her-). I am 38 and have a 7 year old boy. I chose Tamox and oophorectomy (but had hysterectomy after we found out after 6 weeks that left ovary was still intact) for my treatment and of course Zometa for my bones. Just had CT scan and bone scan today to see if treatment is working.

I really want to see more focus on stage IV cancer just like you guys. I am glad that some women are finding the beast at a very early stage and live for a very long time. But I will be more glad if metsters like us are given more attention especially during this month. I consider myself as a very strong person but when I woke up one day having a terrible back pain and could not walk without a cane, I broke down and cried. First thing in my mind was my very young boy - I at least want to see him play sports and cheer for him but I also want to see him graduate high school...

Ladies, I have been reading your posts for a long time now. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. You are all wonderful!

Dx 3/07, IDC, Stage IV, Bone Mets, ER+PR+HER2-

Oct 4, 2007 08:04AM - edited Oct 4, 2007 08:04AM by Helen1

I was dx 3/2005  stage 4 at the onset.  I too detest the October crap. All the 30 second soundbits on the news.  How to prevent bc- news at 11  to  last years fast food (primarily french fries) cause cancer.  I did think it was my grumpy self though.  Nice to know that I am not hte only 'grump'.  A well meaning friend asked me why I didn't have a pink ribbon on my car.  Told her it clashed with the color.  Her stunned look was priceless. I didn't care for the color pink before bc and like it even less now.  I refuse to wear anything pink.  There is one ad done by Lynn Redgrave currently running on local tv here in the KC market.  She says I want to die from eating too much chocolate.  I am not going to die from bc.

Neither am  I!.  There isn't an expiration date stamped on the bottom of my foot.   I get off my box now.  You all take care and we will 'survive' the month of pink.

Helen

A mouse eats an elephant a bite at a time (I think I may need a bigger mouse)

Oct 4, 2007 08:44AM - edited Oct 4, 2007 08:44AM by WendyV

Death by chocolate - interesting.  Hey Helen - I just noticed that you live in Kansas City - I'm actually going to be in Kansas City from Saturday - Wednesday for the Cerner Healthcare Conference!

Wendy

Oct 4, 2007 09:05AM - edited Oct 4, 2007 09:05AM by ruths2

Ok, how about this one.  A teacher at school said to me last October, "Too bad they didn't have Breast Cancer Awareness Month a few years ago, maybe you would have done self exams and caught it earlier." Interestingly, I had bee seeing the surgeon and having  for  mamos and ultrasounds for the prior 5 years following up on a lump that didn't show on mamos and ultrasound.  Unfortunately, sometime very caring people "know not what they do."

Ruth

Dx Stage IV, HER2-

Oct 4, 2007 09:31AM - edited Oct 4, 2007 09:31AM by Paulette531

It all reminds me of that stupid commercial..."Have a happy period, Always"...yeah OK! Is there any such thing as a "happy period"? Oh yeah, that's right, you are 16, out screwing around with your boyfriend and scared s---less you are preggo and here it comes...it's a happy period! Other than that, come on, get real!

It's raining it's pouring the old man is snoring..."never never never give up" Winston Churchill Dx 11/3/2003, IDC, 3cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 3/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Oct 4, 2007 12:28PM gracem wrote:

Ok.....it is going to be a long month. I 'm torn with the whole thing. I know it's a good thing in general, but probably not for us. I know the general BC population, advertisers etc don't realize what a kick in the stomach it is to me every time I hear about the Fight, battle, race. How about the boxing gloves in the Arimidex? ad? Nothing like making all of us feel like we're not fighting hard enough. Like if we had "fought" harder this wouldn't have happened to us. I'd like to throw a shoe at the TV everytime Lynn Redgrave comes on saying how she "refuses" to die from BC. Umm..Ok... should we send a list of all of our angels who apparently "decided" to die from this?

On a happier note, Mayor Bloomberg did designate Oct 13th as Metastatic Breast Cancer awareness Day. It was by request of the Metastatic Breast Cancer Network. A small step, but at least a step. On that day the Metastatic BC Network is having a conference at NYU. Consider coming or just joining the network. It's all about getting awareness of metastatic disease out there.

Suzanne

mbcnetwork dot org

Oct 4, 2007 12:34PM - edited Oct 4, 2007 12:34PM by LuAnnH

I just had an email from the reporter I sent our story to.  She is currently working on another project but understands the point I was making.  Hopefully she will be able to see about doing an article about Stage IV in the future.

Next step, local media.  Everyone should send something to their local papers and news media.  They always want public relations stories.  Tell your side of breast cancer and what Stage IV is really like.  Sometimes it takes small stepping stones to get to where we want.  This is the perfect month to bring it to the forefront.

Oct 4, 2007 01:42PM - edited Oct 4, 2007 01:42PM by AliceJean

I was first dx'd in Aug. of '01, did the mast and tx, and had continued to teach aerobics at my local community college. I was asked to speak there last Oct. at a forum on BC, as a survivor. I was dx'd with bone mets this past Jan. and although I have been updating everyone including my colleagues in the PE dept. as to my progress and am on the upswing, I was denied the opportunity to teach this fall since the division director felt I would not be able to do the job effectively. I am also a former classroom teacher, retired, and it sort of sounded like a teachable moment to me, so I wrote her a letter explaining that her failure to offer me a class was very disturbing to me and that I would have felt better if I had at least been contacted as to whether I felt well enough to take it on. She never responded to the letter, but again I have been asked to speak at the forum this month.  I have mixed feelings. I guess I could go in there and really state the case for stage IV metsters like myself, but part of me wants to just give them a big f-you NO. What do you all think?

Don't sing of Yesterday, Yesterday is gone; Tomorrow isn't written, Make Today your song.

Page 1 of 2 (35 results)