We are 224,828 members in 82 forums discussing 157,962 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Oct 1, 2007 07:22AM - edited Oct 1, 2007 07:22AM by LuAnnH

LuAnnH wrote:

Ok ladies, the pink month is upon us.  I know there are lots of different feelings among bc patients as to whether you like all the pink or not.  I personally do not mind the pink ribbons and wear mine proudly.  Although most of my stuff was bought for me by my children who feel that is their way to show they are supporting me in this disease.

I went to a dinner last night sponsered by a large bank here in Cincinnati to honor breast cancer survivors.  They had a very well to do employee in their bank to speak as a breast cancer survivor.  When she was done talking I was about to strangle her.  She decided to try and show the humor she found in this disease.  It started out ok, but when she turned and said she thought of breast cancer as I gift I started fuming.  Can anyone tell me where customer service is for breast cancer because I would like to return my gift.  Or better yet, maybe I will re-gift it.  No, on second thought I'll just return it because I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  She also broke down how much money she saved on her hair salon in the months she was hairless.  Her grand total between cuts, coloring and waxing was a whoping $2,200!  I don't think I have spent that much at a hair salon in my entire life!  Needless to say by the time she got off the stand I was ready to kill.

I spoke to the marketing director at the end of the evening and asked what they were doing to raise awareness of Stage IV ladies like myself.  I told her I am 44, now terminally ill with breast cancer.  I let her know my childrens ages and how I am a widow and my children will have no parents or grandparents left when I die.  What is it they are willing to do to educate people how NOT under control this disease really is.  I mentioned how young I find ladies in my same condition with children much younger than me.  Something really needs to be done to educate. 

She took off from me as fast as she could.  I am all for awareness and raising money for research.  Problem is too much money that is raised is wasted.  We don't need all the pink stuff everywhere, we need more money put into research.  The general public thinks breast cancer is becoming a disease of the past and we really need the public to see us, the living victims, scared to death we are going to leave our families way too young!  Ok, my vent for the month.  Now I will wear my pink and spread my story.

LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 2 of 2 (35 results)

Posts 31 - 35 (35 total)

Oct 4, 2007 11:22AM - edited Oct 4, 2007 11:22AM by LuAnnH

Alice, you cannot be denied employment due to your disease, that is discrimination.  As long as you are capable of handling your job they cannot do that to you.  I would fight this if you really want to do.

As for the speach, I would take the opportunity to speak of stage IV.  Might not be what they want, but who cares  :)

LuAnn -- Dx 7/2/2006, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Oct 9, 2007 01:39PM jansdaughter wrote:

LuAnnH - you go girl!  You should have told that woman how many of our loved ones have passed away from the "gift".  It is definitely not a gift and I don't see how anyone could construe it that way.    My mother was our GIFT.  Our GIFT is gone.  BC is still here.  Don't see the connection.  I hate this month. I hate to see anything that resembles breast cancer.  It makes my heart hurt.  I'm all for bc awareness; I give money to research.  But to display a bunch of pink things with pink ribbons, all it does for me right now is make me cry.   Dianne 

Oct 10, 2007 11:51PM Ter wrote:

All i can say Luann is that was extremly uncalled for and yes very tacky!

I never use to wear pink, but i found a "salmon pink" and i do wear my bracelets when i leave home, which is only to the docs and my moms when i have the energy..

As of that lady, she should be put behind pink bars! and im not talking about "bars"you get on your cell phone!

Love ya lady,

Ter

It's better to be effective than it is to be right.-

Oct 11, 2007 04:38AM CTG wrote:

The darker side of pink. This topic really interests me.  I too am sick to death of being forced to live in the shadows because the general public has not been properly educated.  I was diagnosed at Stage 4 from the start and I have been educating others since I was diagnosed. 

Unfortunately the Media refuses to highlight those of us "Living with Cancer."  I recently contacted a local news station to request that they do a story on Stage 4 patients showing we do matter; our clinical trial involvement saves lives and how our lives are significant including contributions to the community. I received a general email reply; they wish me the best and gee no mention of doing a story on stage 4 breast cancer patients. 

I think its time we demand a change. Start by asking you local doctors and cancer centers to make a change. For the sake of those yet to be diagnosed lets make some noise!

"Why are there are no education brochures or posters available about living with advanced cancer readily available right next to the early detection brochures, the young survivor brochures, and the treatment options brochure?" After all we too have cancer and although our stage is advanced we do matter as much as the next stage.

CTG

dx fall05 stage4 liver and bone mets

dx fall06 brain mets / spring07 brain mets gone

Oct 25, 2007 01:40AM Ter wrote:

you know I agree w/all of you....and I know a very nice man, he is 94 and has seen quite a bit in his life, lots of wisdom etc.....and one day he was visiting and I wouldnt want to shake him up or argue etc with him, as he is my buddy...but we chatted about BC as he has been a great person to me prior to bc and now, but you know I think kind of like he does, yes we need to spread the word on BC, but he mentioned prostrate cancer, and I agree as he said they need to know more and more knowlege about that too.....ALL the cancers do. 

BC to us is at the top of the list and it is!  but so many others are also, as so many men dont realize what man be going on in their bodies...but he promotes yes BC, and I think if I wasnt one of the stats he wouldnt know much.....

About getting to the media, on one channel here they have like at he 5 pm news soemthing called "medical in the news" and they chat and let ya know, but so I think they need to know more, not just diff races to raise monies, but to actually know.

when some solisitor calls on the phone, and its an easy one about which channel do you liten to on the radio, I say sure I'll take your quik survey IF you listen to what i have to say afterwards about what I have to say...so he does his quick talk then hasnt forgetten what i said and says "ok mam" what do you now have to say...and I start by saying are you married, so you have a wife, do you have a daughter, neice, goodfriend, girlfriend, etc etc "of women" and usually answer yes, and then I kind of tell him and try to be brief as I dont want to not take his time but give him some important things about his wife, daughter, girlfriend etc..and so many of them have questions that who ever they are talking about have brought up a lump etc and doesnt know what and where to turn...yes I give him this add of bc.org if they have a computer, and they www.y-me.org site as they have a group of women who can answer questions on the phone or direct them in the right direction...they also have many diff languages so the person who called can talk to someone in their language.....

I also do this to people at maybe a store or where ever I may be, and they do want to listen and learn, especially if a loved one has or brought up the topic of not knowing what and where to go.

Just FYI on what I do...and yes Ive wrote alot here and appologize, but then again I dont' as we need all sorts of ideas here to get the word of BC.....

hope this helps a little.

as always,

hugs

Ter

It's better to be effective than it is to be right.-

Page 2 of 2 (35 results)