Topic: New Vaccine for ER+ BC ????

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Jul 11, 2010 09:30AM

Posted on: Jul 11, 2010 09:30AM

BaseballFan wrote:

Have any of you heard about a new trial for a vaccine for ER+ bc?  EVERY detail you have heard regarding this would be appreciated.  I'm assuming it would be a treatment and not a prevention because it is being studied with Stage IV bc.  Can't wait to hear from the "BC Investigative Team".

Bobbi Dx 3/14/2009, 6cm+, Stage IV, 11/14 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 7/23/2009 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 10/1/2009 Lumpectomy: Right Chemotherapy 9/1/2010 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 2/13/2012 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 12/12/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/26/2013 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 10/1/2013 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine)

Page 3 of 3 (23 results)

Jul 30, 2010 07:48PM Enjoyful wrote:

Maryiz - Sorry, I just now saw your question about the trial I'm in!  I don't know if it's working or not since I was NED to start with.  The trial needs 2 more participants and they don't expect to finish it up until summer 2011.   Hope this helps!

E

BENGHAZI! Dx 9/2004, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/28/2009, IDC, 2cm, Stage IV, Grade 2, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Jul 30, 2010 08:00PM Maryiz wrote:

Thanks for the response, enjoyful.  I hope you continue to thrive and do well.  I am hoping that one of these trials is the one, we have all been waiting for so long.  Stay well, Maryiz

Jul 30, 2010 10:03PM MJLToday wrote:

I hate to be a wet blanket on all this, but I've been in cancer-land a long, long time.  In 1998, when I was first diagnosed, TIME ran a front page story about how angiogenesis inhibitors (like Avastin) "cured" cancer in mice.  Woo Hoo!  A human cure around the corner. 

12 years later, and Avastin has been fast-tracked approved, but is being consider for disapproval because of marginal effectivness.  Very disappointing, and 40,000 people still die of breast cancer each year.

There are many BC vaccines in trial now.  This link shows 42 trials that are recruiting patients:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=vaccine+breast+cancer&recr=Open

I hope this new one gets to trial stage soon.  We really do need trials to find out if these treatments are effective or not.  Besides the potentially harmful side effects of these treatments, which are unknown until Phase 1 (first in humans, limited in number) trials, putting many people on unproven treatments means that their cancers could progress in the absence of other, better proven treatments. 

That's what happened to me in the Everolimus/RAD001 study--I progressed during those 3 months.  I don't regret participating in the study -- I'm just glad they kept very close tabs on me while I was on the study, so I didn't progress too far before switching to a different treatment.

So, please check with your oncologists, breastcancertrials.org, clinicaltrials.gov, and many other sites to enroll in thee trials that are already approved and ready to go.

MJ '98 Stage 2 ER+/PR-/Her-, AC+Tam: Sep 08 bone/liver mets. Arimidex,Faslodex,Zometa thru 12/09, Aromasin+Everolimus thru 03/10, Abraxane thru 3/11,Xeloda 8/11,Armed Activated T cell trial 9/11, Taxotere/Gemzar now

Page 3 of 3 (23 results)

Scroll to top button