Topic: The solution to painful intercourse!!!!!! Yipeee!

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Oct 11, 2011 05:15PM

Posted on: Oct 11, 2011 05:15PM

LivingIt wrote:

Like so many of us, chemo, hormones and surgery have made my marital relations very very painful. Since all this started my DH and I have tried a total of 4 times over 2 years. That is soo sad I know. But it was so very painful I bled for 2 days after try number 3. Then I decided I wanted to try again cause Im so crazy about this guy. We had a date night and I did two things that ended up making me feel like I was 21 again (or a newly wed or however you want to think about it).

1) Scream Cream (thanks K-Lo)

2) 5% Lidocaine Ointment.

The first brings blood to the area and hightens sensation like you cant believe. The second makes the tearing pain DISAPPEAR!!!!

To get scream cream I brought this page to my onc and he wrote the script and I paid about $30. The lidocaine was perscribed for my neuropathic feet so it was free/insurance. 

I wish I could go back in time. I wish I could tell everybody who ever got chemo. I hope you try it if you have this problem.  

Zoh - Don't Postpone Joy!!!! 11/07 AC +Taxotere, then Tamoxifen x2yrs. Aromasin x 6 months, Taxotere x 1.5 yrs, Abraxane 2months, Tamoxifen 1 month, Xeloda Diva x 1 month crazy progression - Gemzar/Faslodex/Xgeva Dx 11/11/2007, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, 2/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 64 of 68 (680 results)

May 4, 2013 08:27AM tenaj wrote:

My story is very similar.....was initially put on femara & had all the same issues, lack of libido & atrophy. I tried replens, olive oil, coconut butter & SC. They all helped a tiny bit but not enough for me to be comfortable & enjoy sex. My side effects were terrible from the femara so my MO agreed to switch me to tamoxifen & then agreed I could use estrace 2 times a week. IT WORKED! It took several weeks or perhaps even a month or more but my lady parts are almost normal again. Of course I am referring to the parts below. I still need to work on my psyche about my boobs....I struggle with the loss of my own at times....but all being said....things are soooo much better since I am on estrace.

Surgery 1/17/2011 Reconstruction (left); Reconstruction (right) Surgery 6/15/2011 Mastectomy: Left, Right Surgery 6/29/2011 Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Surgery 1/29/2013 Reconstruction (left): Nipple reconstruction; Reconstruction (right): Nipple reconstruction

May 4, 2013 11:15AM cfdr wrote:

Where are you getting SC for $20? I also paid around $60-$70.

I have not tried lidocaine, but a friend told me you can get benzocaine lube over the counter; it's sold mostly to gay men for anal sex.

My MO, Kimberly Blackwell, also said absolutely no on estrogen vaginal cream. She was recently named one of Time magazine's most influential people because of her cancer research, so I tend to trust her opinion.

Dx 5/23/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/6 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 6/8/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Surgery 6/29/2011 Lumpectomy: Left Radiation Therapy 7/26/2011 Chemotherapy 10/7/2011 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 1/3/2012 Femara (letrozole)

May 4, 2013 12:59PM Jules59 wrote:

tenaj, I started on Tamoxifen, but couldn't tolerate it, so I was taken off of it. My MO then tested my hormone levels, and since I was officially post menopausal, I was put on Femara.  My MO said they all have side effects, but because I was stage III, I would have to find one that I could tolerate.  Femara's bad, but Tamoxifen caused a rash, and both of my shoulder froze up.  It was very painful, and I spent the summer in physical therapy getting over it.

cfdr, I think my MO might have let me use a topical estrogen, but he was leaving the decision to my gynecologist, and she said she couldn't in good conscience do it, even though very little is absorbed.  So strange how our docs have different opinions.  I am getting my SC from a compounding pharmacy in my hometown in East TN.  Send me a PM if you would like the name and phone number.

Jules Dx 1/24/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 4, 2013 03:01PM dancetrancer wrote:

cfdr, you are on Femara.  I wouldn't think any onc would advise estrace unless you are on Tamoxifen, which blocks estrogen.  Femara acts differently. 

Cold caps work! coldcapphotos.shutterfly.com/p... TCH: 4/10 - 6/13/12; 33 rads; BMX w/fat grafting; DX: 7/29/11 @ age 43: Stage 1A on L (3 mm IDC w/ 6 cm DCIS, Gr 2 ER/PR+, HER2+) 0/3 nodes; Stage 0 on R (2 mm DCIS); see bio.

May 7, 2013 12:58PM lamp wrote:

Hi Jules59, the scream cream sounds like it is the answer! Are you suffering with the vaginal atrophy still? What about UTI? Two areas that I'm dealing with! I see my doc next week and oncologist month end, hope to get same great results!
Thanks for sharing!
1openheart, I too am so thankful for my dh! My doc said no to vagifem for now!
Time will tell!
Thanks all for the great info, so helpful to share!

Dx 10/15/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage II, Grade 2, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 11/8/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right) Hormonal Therapy 1/3/2013 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 17, 2013 09:03PM Jules59 wrote:

Loriw

Sorry it took so long to answer.  I'm afraid vaginal atropy and UTIs are a fact of life due to menopause and Femara.  But the scream cream makes intercouse so much better.  And my gynocologist has given me a refilable prescription for cipro to treat the UTIs.

Let us know what your doc says.

Jules Dx 1/24/2011, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 7/17 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

May 27, 2013 10:35PM - edited Jul 27, 2020 12:53PM by TectonicShift

This Post was deleted by TectonicShift.

May 27, 2013 10:50PM jancie wrote:

T-shift - look back on page 5 of this thread????  You have to get a prescription by a doctor and have it filled at a "compounding pharmacy" and yes....it is called scream cream.  Wish they would come up with less embarrassing name for it.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

May 27, 2013 11:49PM - edited Oct 31, 2014 05:42PM by TectonicShift

This Post was deleted by TectonicShift.

May 28, 2013 12:04AM jancie wrote:

T-shift - no, I don't believe it contains estrogen but some oncologists are leary about giving you anything out of the ordinary.  Just take the formula with you to the oncologist so he can see what is in it.  My oncologist is now giving out prescriptions to the other ladies he sees as he went through the wringer with me for 2 years as I complained over and over about the pain.

Never Alone - My TaTa Sisters are always with me! Dx 12/30/2008, IDC, 4cm, Stage IIB, Grade 1, 0/5 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 64 of 68 (680 results)

Scroll to top button