Topic: mets to lung

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Jan 6, 2012 11:53AM - edited Oct 12, 2013 10:32AM by bhd1

Posted on: Jan 6, 2012 11:53AM - edited Oct 12, 2013 10:32AM by bhd1

bhd1 wrote:

hello. i got scan rusults yesterday. looks like abraxane is not working, since cancer is spreading. i am going on navelbine now. any words of encouragement? thanks. i am new to the boards, happy to find you all

barb

barb Dx 9/22/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

Page 4 of 239 (2,382 results)

Apr 24, 2013 07:03PM justagirl wrote:

saralou: thanks for taking the time to write. I did look at your site. I am not going all vegan or organic but have cut my diet cokes down to a half one a day, and my intake of snickers bars to a miniature one every once in a while as a treat. My other treats are natural lollies made with no preservative, additives, etc. Even my dog likes them. I make most of our food, including pasta sauces and deserts, so I know what goes into them and go for fruit and veg in season. We eat some meat but I'm not a big fan.

I'm glad to finally meet someone who has lung mets like me, but wish we could of met under different circumstances. When I think of how my CT scan looked, it was like hundreds of tiny pin pricks everywhere. Somehow the radiologist pegged them right away as BC mets. ???? and without a biopsy as the two measurable ones, like yours are too small to biopsy.

It is rough to know my only options are the oral anti estrogen tablets, or some sort of chemo tablet or IV chemo.

I just feel like I should be doing something but you are right. I need to stay healthy, in mind and spirit and learn to enjoy each day and not let this take the joy out of my life. I'm going to have to work on that and learning to laugh again. I was only diagnosed with the mets January 21, so it is still relatively new in my mind. We have only told about 6 people, which include my husband and 19 year old son. Telling my son was the worst of the worst. He totally lost it with depression and anxiety when I had the BC initially but I had to tell him. But this time I said I feel fine. I am fine. We found these by a fluke and we will go on with our lives. I will just have to see the oncologist again on a regular basis for checks, which right now are longer inbetween due to my CA15.3 dropping from 80 to 56 and my CT being the same.

I used to be a triathlete, in fact was training when I first found the breast tumor. Now I can't swim, bike or run. Can't rotate my right arm around and over my head due to the LD flap for my radiated breast side, and can't run or bike thanks to the loss of calcium in my lower spine which has given me 3 compressed discs. But I am back on my treadmill, walking fast as I can. Am building up from 30 minutes a day back to the 1 1/2 hours I did before this lung stuff. And that's how I think of it 'stuff'

We have a huge garden and live on 8 acres and nothing makes me happier than to be outside working. You are right. I just have to get up and on with my life.

Thank you for reaching out to me - it's not that my hubby doesn't love me or my two BFF's but it's not the same as having someone here who completely relates!

You are my angel today!

Debbie: Now that I'm a Stage lV'er, my anxiety has become a reality - lung mets. I am sooooo mad! Dx 3/16/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/1/2010 AC

Apr 26, 2013 02:08PM Carolben wrote:

Hope this thread is reviving, just found it too.  Also have lung mets - am triple neg so only chemo an option and am on Taxol now for the last 3 months.  Having a scan May 9 to see what's happening in there and if the Taxol is working.  Mine were size 7mm biggest down to 3mm, in both lungs; and I'm hoping they are responding.  The waiting to know is the hardest.

Not feeling sick, just really have some exhausted days, fatigue is getting more, but so long as I'm not feeling sick I can handle the fatigue!

This is a rough ride and I'm so grateful I don't have to do it alone

love, courage and grace. Mets to lungs Feb 2013, 8 Dec 2014 brain mets Dx 5/14/2012, DCIS, 2cm, Stage I, Grade 2, 0/1 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery 5/23/2012 Mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 6/22/2012 AC Radiation Therapy 9/25/2012 Breast Dx 2/4/2013, Stage IV, mets Chemotherapy 2/15/2013 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 11/20/2013 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 7/18/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Radiation Therapy 12/15/2014 Brain Dx mets

Apr 26, 2013 04:38PM sarahlou1967 wrote:

Justagirl and carolben, if you ever need me for anything at all just drop me a private message, it might take a while but I will respond. Always remember you are not alone in this we are all in it together I'm already 2 years down the line and feel fine, you will to, chemo really does work as well as the hormonals so please take heart and have hope. Sending you both lots of love and light Sarah xx

Dx 2/2011, IDC, 6cm+, Stage IV, Grade 3, 1/13 nodes, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 4/9/2011 Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/12/2011 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 9/12/2011 Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 9/19/2011 Radiation Therapy 1/4/2012

Apr 26, 2013 08:04PM justagirl wrote:

Thanks saralou.

carolben: sounds like we are dealing with the same new diagnosis. I just thought at 60 I had gone through all I had to do to live and it was dusted and done, but always in the back of my mind fearing mets, and BANG, mets.

Heck I'm only 60 now, and do not appreciate sometimes just not feeling right or being tired for no good reason. I'm the person who was always on the go and had a list of things to do every day. Now, if I'm tired or feeling off I relax and rest and read and nap.

Feel like the lung mets, even though on the oxygen pulse oxmetry machine show me at 98%, I sometimes feel like my lungs just aren't giving me 100?  Maybe it's the change in January from Femara to Tamoxifen.

Oh well, whatever, I going to keep on fighting after my next nap!

My son thinks it's funny I refuse to cut my hair now that it's past my shoulders again. It was this length when I lost it all to the first round of chemo so in my mind I think if I have a few inches cut off then I'll hex myself and the chemo will take it all! I know - silly. Hairdresser has promised to just tip the ends.

Now I've got a couple of dents in the top of my right implant but I don't even care. There are bigger things in life to fuss over than how my boobs look.....and my son prays I will stop wearing a bikini at the beach and only do it at home!

Debbie: Now that I'm a Stage lV'er, my anxiety has become a reality - lung mets. I am sooooo mad! Dx 3/16/2010, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/1/2010 AC

Apr 29, 2013 03:28PM alesiasmith12 wrote:

This is my first time on here. I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1995, then it went to my L lung in 2005. Now it has returned to my R lung in 2013. What is a navelbine? Right now I'm on Arimidex and Faslodex shots. How will I know when my time is getting closer? Scared.

alesiasmith12

Dx 1/18/2005, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, ER+, HER2+

Apr 29, 2013 03:42PM - edited Apr 29, 2013 03:43PM by bhd1

navelbine is the name of a chemo drug given by infusion for cancer

barb Dx 9/22/2011, IDC, 3cm, Stage IV, Grade 3, ER-/PR-, HER2+

May 8, 2013 09:07PM justagirl wrote:

aleslasmith - sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your question. I don't come here that often. I understand you are scared. I am scared too.

You ask how you will know when your time is getting closer. Closer to what? I am assuming you mean death, but I would be out of line to try and guess or assume what you were thinking when you wrote this.

Please respong or PM me.

As is,

Debbie

May 9, 2013 02:52AM GatorGal wrote:

Alesia,
I was diagnosed with lung mets in 2008. I'm celebrating 5 years this month and am feeling good, traveling when I can, spending time with family and friends. Although I spent some time getting prepared for the "what-ifs" I am finished with that now and concentrating on living. I have been on aromatose inhibitors (like aramidex), faslodex, xeloda, and am now on my 4th chemo. My doctor keeps telling me there is plenty in the arsenal. I understand where you are right now, honest, but as time goes on and you adjust to your treatments, things will start to look up. There are many women on the boards who have been around for a very long time. My lung mets are now stable (not growing) and I'm hoping my next scan will show NED (no evidence of disease). NED doesn't mean cured and it doesn't mean I can stop chemo but it is a very good sign that the chemo is doing it's job. And who knows, maybe a cure is just around the corner. I'm 62 and won't give up!! Glad to see this thread is active again!

When people asked how old she was, she would say 1009365 more or less because she was so glad to be alive that she counted every day a birthday! (Brian Andreas, Storypeople) Dx 5/2008, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, 11/27 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/11/2011 Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 8/14/2011 Gemzar (gemcitabine) Chemotherapy 6/13/2012 Doxil (doxorubicin) Chemotherapy 12/12/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 9/11/2013 CMF Chemotherapy 4/16/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Chemotherapy 12/17/2014 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 9/9/2015 Navelbine (vinorelbine) Chemotherapy 12/23/2015 Halaven (eribulin) Chemotherapy 4/13/2016 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 6/15/2016 Ixempra (ixabepilone) Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

May 9, 2013 07:54AM justagirl wrote:

Glenna: I for one, am glad you have dropped in. There must be more of us out there with lung mets and personally, I need all the support I can get and advise and histories, the good and the bad. Congratulations on your 5 years this month. I was just diagnosed with my mets in January and the oncologist said due to the mets showing up so early after my initial diagnosis (almost 3 years) - well, that wasn't good. I have no idea why. Had a DM, chemo, rads and was on Femara and now due to mets changed to Tamoxifen. My next CT is the end of this month with a CA 15.3.

I was so mad when I found out about the mets but that serves no purpose. I asked the oncologist how long I could live and she said 3 to 10 years. I almost fell off my chair. I truly plan on living for a long long time, and I realize I will have ups and downs, chemo again here and there along with other drugs but am hoping since the mets were discovered while they are pinhead size but too many to count in all the lobes that the early detection will work in my favour.

I'm now 60 and I'm with you on not giving up. I want my life to be as it is - enjoying my husband and son, gardening with my dog Jaki at my side and enjoying the peace our property gives me. It may seem like a boring life to some but it suits me just fine.

I have no problems breathing but now do take precautions like wearing a mask when doing dusty things, getting a flue shot and avoiding crowds and people coughing. Also am sure to wash my hands before I eat when out.

I just wish some of the other 'long timers' would chime in on this thread and give us newbies some inspiration like you have.  Some people think I am in denial of my diagnosis but I'm not. Every day I stay mad or upset, breast cancer wins as it takes the joy of the day from me. And I like to win!

I only wish I hadn't had to tell my 19 year old son, who is away at university because it was so difficult on him when I was first diagnosed 3 years ago. But I did as I told him I would always tell him the truth. Now he calls me at least twice a week and was coming home most weekends since then, even though it's a two hour drive each way. He said he couldn't come home this weekend as he has a big paper due and I said then do it but I know he thinks I will be upset he won't be here on Mother's Day. I told him just knowing he loves me is plenty enough for me! And every time I end a conversation with him or even an email, he says 'I love you Mum' and I know it comes from his heart.

Cancer has made me stop and enjoy all the little things in a day. The blue sky, puffy white clouds, the sound of rain hitting the tin roof at night, having a cup of coffee sitting on the porch steps in the morning and looking out at the horses in the paddock.

Life is good. I just may have to work a little harder at times to keep it this way!

May 10, 2013 01:54AM GatorGal wrote:

Okay, lung metsters, chime in! We've got some newbies here who would like to hear from you!

Debbie, I hope you have a long run on the tamoxifen. I took it for about 5 years after my first bout with BC in 1987. I had chemo induced menopause (best SE of all) when I was 38. I really didn't have bad SE's though some mood swings (menopause or tamoxifen?) and of course, weight gain. I've gained about 40 pounds since 1988 but everyone says I carry it well! Of course I've gone up and down a few times and changed sizes a few times as well, but hey, I'll take weight gain any day over nausea!! After tamoxifen I was on femara for quite a number of years. I think I did have a break between the two but it was so long ago. Diagnosed with mets about a year after stopping the femara. I often wonder if I had stayed on the femara would I still have gotten the lung mets. Does no good to wonder at this point. I put my energy into having as much fun as possible.

It sounds like you have a lovely life! I just came back from spending time at my mom's in Florida. They have 10 acres next to my step-sister who has another 10. She has 6 horses and it is nice to sit on the swing and watch the horses in the field. Having that much land would be too much work for me. I used to love to mow and work in the garden but I do have breathing issues now and just can't do it anymore. Taking a slow, easy walk is more my speed!

Your son sounds like a wonderful young man and you sound like a very proud mom. It sounds like he comes to see you whenever he can. How far away is his university?

Alesia, how are you doing? Sounds to me like your cancer is pretty slow growing though I'm not a doctor or nurse. It didn't show up in the other lung for 8 years. I would think that was a good thing. Sounds like you are getting good treatment. I know how scared you must be, but believe me, you aren't going anywhere anytime soon. You will find lots of information on the threads and lots of support. Because you are so new, you might want to start your own thread. You will probably get more responses that way. Sometimes people forget about some of these threads that have been around awhile. Also, if you read something and want to ask questions of someone, click on their name and you can send a private message. We are here to help you so don't be afraid to ask!! Hugs to all!

When people asked how old she was, she would say 1009365 more or less because she was so glad to be alive that she counted every day a birthday! (Brian Andreas, Storypeople) Dx 5/2008, IDC, Right, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, 11/27 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 4/11/2011 Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 8/14/2011 Gemzar (gemcitabine) Chemotherapy 6/13/2012 Doxil (doxorubicin) Chemotherapy 12/12/2012 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 9/11/2013 CMF Chemotherapy 4/16/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin) Chemotherapy 12/17/2014 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 9/9/2015 Navelbine (vinorelbine) Chemotherapy 12/23/2015 Halaven (eribulin) Chemotherapy 4/13/2016 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 6/15/2016 Ixempra (ixabepilone) Hormonal Therapy 7/27/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 4 of 239 (2,382 results)

Scroll to top button