Topic: Bone Mets Thread

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Jun 22, 2012 03:09AM - edited Oct 28, 2021 02:22PM by moderators

Posted on: Jun 22, 2012 03:09AM - edited Oct 28, 2021 02:22PM by moderators

Jac53 wrote:

I've started this thread after suggestions that it would be useful.

Mod Note: We have removed the original link as it is no longer viable. At one of our member's' recommendation we are offering this link as a resource for you.

https://youtu.be/YpFfLrITfEI

Jeannie. "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." Dx 6/19/1995, 10/15 nodes Dx 2/18/2011, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 7/2/2012, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Page 1828 of 2,708 (27,079 results)

Jun 30, 2017 01:18PM Lita57 wrote:

I'm drinking a toast to all the good news lately.

It's my off cycle week, and I'm enjoying a glass of wine whether you like it or not, damn, stinking cancer!

Stage IV De Novo, Occult, Amorphic. New Brain Mets Aug 2017. Now on Gemzar and Zometa. Dragged into an arranged marriage with Mr. Cancer that I didn't agree to, and divorce is forbidden. Grateful for however many GOOD days I have left. Dx 4/14/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 4/26/2016 External: Bone Targeted Therapy 5/15/2016 Chemotherapy 5/22/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 4/20/2017 External: Bone Dx 8/23/2017, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 9/5/2017 External: Brain Chemotherapy 10/10/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jun 30, 2017 01:19PM - edited Jun 30, 2017 01:19PM by Lindalou

Wanted to share this. A double rainbow over Monona Terrace, a Frank Lloyd Wright designed building, last Saturday. We have lots of FLW architecture here. The lake is one of my favorite places to kayak.

Have a good weekend everyone with little to no pain and feeling stronger.

Cheers to you Lita!

Linda Dx 11/1/2007, ILC, Left, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 8/2009, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Dx 5/13/2014 Targeted Therapy 4/21/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy 10/2/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Gemzar (gemcitabine) Chemotherapy 10/23/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy External: Bone Radiation Therapy External: Bone Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy External: Bone Radiation Therapy Bone

Jun 30, 2017 02:19PM momallthetime wrote:

Lindalou it's hard to believe people really live in such places. Stunning.

Lita as always, you lift our spirits. Damn cancer it is, but you make good soup out of it. LOVE IT!

Lilmae very interesting. I am always wondering. Dani is convinced they have her tagged wrong, she really should be out there shopping for shoes! And last but not least, the most recent hiccup when a few months ago, radiologist in a very well respected organization, Weill Cornell in NYC, misread D's scan to say she needs urgent surgery, when really it was a lesion that needed to be radiated. Was causing her numbness and much pain. How careful can one be? By coincidence I had another RO in a different place look at it, and saved us much aggravation in wondering about which way to go. Long story. But....There is a saying in the radiologist community, give 3 radiologists a picture and you will have 4 opinions.

Jun 30, 2017 04:33PM ciaci wrote:

Hello, all. This is my first time in this thread - recently received a dx of bone mets, mid-spine. I was diagnosed with BC in April: ER+,PR+, HER2-. Oncologist recommended 4 rounds of AC, 3 weeks apart, to be followed by six weeks of radiation. Of course, a quick scan first, just to make sure we weren't missing anything... two CTs, a bone scan, a PET-CT, and a biopsy later, here I am. One "tiny" area, a lesion on my T-11 vertebrae. Which apparently has turned everything upside down.

My oncologist informed me today that I am no longer considered "curable", but am merely "treatable". Is it bad that I wanted to smack him? So his plan was to treat with a hormone drug (Femara, I believe) and something with a "Z" for the bone weakness. (I have no symptoms, no pain at all, and was truly shocked when he told me my back was involved.) Then he said if I insist on chemo, which he thinks is unnecessary, since I can't be cured anyway, he would only do Taxol and Cytoxan - for six months. Then maybe radiation, if it's indicated when we do another PET scan at the time.

I feel like I'm begging this guy to treat me. My husband says we should go for a second opinion elsewhere, but I really don't want to start over. I'm going to read more posts in this thread, though I doubt I'll get to all 610 pages, LOL, but I was wondering if anyone else's doctor scrapped plans for chemo after mets were discovered? And how did that affect recovery? How do they decide whether or not a patient is in remission? When is "good enough" really good enough?!

Dx 4/18/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/23/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 7/13/2017 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 8/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jun 30, 2017 05:31PM illimae wrote:

Ciaci, I agree with your husband. Whether you "need" chemo or not, this oncologist doesn't seem to be on your team. We may not be curable but we're all worth time, effort and respect.

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External Local Metastases 10/20/2017 Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External Local Metastases 4/18/2018 Brain Radiation Therapy 5/23/2019 External Local Metastases 5/23/2019 Brain Surgery 1/22/2020 Radiation Therapy 2/17/2020 External Local Metastases 2/17/2020 Brain Radiation Therapy 7/20/2020 External Local Metastases 7/20/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 12/4/2020 External Local Metastases 12/4/2020 Brain Targeted Therapy Tukysa (tucatinib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Jun 30, 2017 05:37PM micmel wrote:

Ciaci~ same thing happened to me, almost the same senario, except I did have surgery because it was on one spot on my liver. Before I saw a surgeon, I was told no surgery either. After five doctors input I did have surgery, but most that have bone mets don't have the heavy chemo or even the surgery. I just wanted my cancer out of my body. Take the breast, take the nodes, take the liver spot. But even after that heavy chemo 4 cytoxan. Which i am not going to lie is awful. You will loose your hair with that chemo regime, then followed by 9 Abraxane treatments, it still ended up in my pelvis and a few places in my back. There is nothing wrong with the second opinion. I do believe that the course he has you on for mets sounds about right. I am so sorry for you and your shock with this happening to you. I understand. It happened to me. No pain either,at least nothing worth mentioning. It can be treated and there are many ladies here who have been fighting for years. God bless them. Maygod bless you ! Gentle hugs ~M~

Everyone has to dance, they just don’t know what song they will get. Dx 1/22/2016, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 13/35 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/10/2016 AC Surgery 6/21/2016 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left) Chemotherapy 7/19/2016 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 11/6/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery Chemotherapy Chemotherapy Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jun 30, 2017 05:41PM Hopefulgirl wrote:

Ciaci - i totally agree with Illimae!! Took the words right of my mouth you need to digest and recharge and get a second opinion. I was dx on June 15 with sternum mets, 2 ribs and a mass in chest wall. I started ibrance and letrozole yesterday.

The ladies on this site are amazing.

Hang in there we have lots of hope.

Cathy

Dx 3/1/2004, IDC, Left, Stage IIIC, metastasized to bone, 5/18 nodes, ER+/PR+ Dx 6/15/2017, IDC, Left, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, ER+/PR+

Jun 30, 2017 09:53PM suems wrote:

Claci,

Your story sounds almost exactly like mine, I had the surgery before the scans found the mets. My chemo was cancelled the day before it was due to start, as I was told I was "incurable" and that "chemo won't save you". I was basically given Tamoxifen, and told to "come back when you start feeling symptoms".

Not surprisingly, I went into shock, and ended up with PTSD. The rest of my story is below. I am now 2 and a half years down the track, and only now feel like I'm heading down the Slippery Slope towards the inevitable.

The New Zealand medical system means that all oncologists work in the State-run system, and my second opinion came from my MO's boss. He agreed with the treatment plan, but explained in a far more civilised manner. Sadly, I went through 3 hormonals in quick succession, and then went on to chemo for liver mets, and now Taxol for "diffuse metastatic disease".

It took me 6 months to realise that Stage 4 isn't an immediate death sentence, and that many people live for a long time with "chronic" cancer. There is definitely a major shift in emphasis between the initial "hit it strong, hit it hard, make it gone" and the later focus on quality of life, comfort and minimising side effects.

I have been "playing the game" for long enough, and have done enough of my own research (much of it on this site) that I now feel confident in asking for what I feel I need, rather than just going along with my MO's treatment plan. Luckily we seem to agree most of the time. Mind you, every time he suggests anything, he runs it by his boss before he tells me - he knows I don't really trust him.

I wish you all the best as you settle into this new reality, and hope to see you on the boards here for a long time to come.

Sue.

Sue from New Zealand, age 54 at diagnosis, started with 2 bone mets, spread to liver, abdomen. Now back to just in bones.Currently on Pamidronate infusions. Dx 1/2015, IDC, Right, 3cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 22/24 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Surgery 1/22/2015 Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy: Right Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 4/28/2015 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 10/20/2015 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 11/29/2015 External: Bone Dx 3/2016, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver Chemotherapy 4/10/2016 Methotrexate (Amethopterin, Mexate, Folex), Mitomycin (mutamycin), Mitoxantrone (Novantrone) Dx 6/2017, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to other Chemotherapy 6/5/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 9/25/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 11/27/2017 Other

Jul 1, 2017 12:32AM ciaci wrote:

Thank you for the support, all. I feel like my world just stopped when the Dr said "You're not curable." I spent hours trying to control my crying - I had to get through all the "how did it go?" phone calls. Then I got mad. How dare he say it like that! There are much better ways to explain that treating Stage IV is no longer considered "curative" care. (<-- See? That already sounds better ;) )

But I've been doing my homework. The radiation oncologist who consulted on my back biopsy told me there's a new strain of thinking, where they aggressively treat otherwise healthy women, with Stage IV and just one or two mets. Since I only have the one, very small, spot, he thought I was a good candidate. I have a call into his office, asking for a name of someone to see at the Rutgers Cancer Institute (NJ). Apparently what I'm asking about is "oligometastatic breast cancer"... now I'm off to search the boards for any mention of that.

I appreciate all the good thoughts, and send them all back around to all of you.

Dx 4/18/2017, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 2, 1/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/23/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Hormonal Therapy 7/13/2017 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 8/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jul 1, 2017 07:45AM illimae wrote:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topics/...

Caici, here's a link to an oligometastic thread, I'm there too :)

Diagnosed at 41 Stage IV De Novo Dx 11/16/2016, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2+ Chemotherapy 1/2/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy 1/2/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Surgery 6/26/2017 Lumpectomy; Lumpectomy (Left); Lymph node removal Radiation Therapy 8/10/2017 Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 10/5/2017, IDC, Left, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, 3/13 nodes, ER+, HER2+ Radiation Therapy 10/20/2017 External Local Metastases 10/20/2017 Brain Radiation Therapy 4/18/2018 External Local Metastases 4/18/2018 Brain Radiation Therapy 5/23/2019 External Local Metastases 5/23/2019 Brain Surgery 1/22/2020 Radiation Therapy 2/17/2020 External Local Metastases 2/17/2020 Brain Radiation Therapy 7/20/2020 External Local Metastases 7/20/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 12/4/2020 External Local Metastases 12/4/2020 Brain Targeted Therapy Tukysa (tucatinib) Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone)

Page 1828 of 2,708 (27,079 results)

Scroll to top button