Log in to post a reply
Jun 21, 2017 11:11AM
IntoLight...here's what I do so my Zometa won't cause me intolerable SEs:
1. Drink AT LEAST 2 quarts of water today, and as much water as you can b4 you go in.
2. Don't eat anything spicy, greasy, heavy today/tonight or tomorrow morning b4 you go in. (I usually have a couple of eggs and toast for b'fast, a light snack of fruit (usually a banana) and crackers for lunch, and either chicken/rice soup or chicken/noodle soup for dinner)
3. This is really important: Take a Benadryl antihistamine tablet ONE HOUR b4 your appointment so the drug will be in your system at infusion time. (Ask for extra saline at the end of the infusion time, too.)
4. Continue to drink water AFTER the infusion and eat lightly.
5. Friday continue to eat lightly (funnel cakes and corn dogs "could" upset you if you don't have a cast-iron stomach) and stay hydrated...basically eat as tho you have the stomach flu for a couple of days after the infusion so your body can accept it with no disturbances.
I did NOT do any of this for my 1st Zometa infusion, and boy did I regret it! But no one TOLD me how to prepare for it until after the fact. I felt like I had been hit by a truck the 1st day after, and then the diarrhea hit the 2nd day after.
Since I've followed the above 5 things, I've never had any problems since, and hopefully you won't either.
Remember, Zometa is actually used in its "full strength" form for certain forms of BONE CANCER. The infusions they give breast cancer patients are weaker and are only 15-20 min infusions as opposed to the usual ones that take hours.
Stage IV Occult, Amorphic right from the gate. New Brain Mets Aug 2017. I've been dragged into an arranged marriage that I didn't agree to, & divorce is totally off the table now that I'm married to Mr. Cancer. STAGE IV LIVES MATTER!
4/14/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, ER+/PR+, HER2-
4/26/2016 External: Bone
5/22/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine)
4/20/2017 External: Bone
8/23/2017, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-
9/5/2017 External: Brain
10/10/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)