Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Ladies in their 30s?

Kasi
Kasi Member Posts: 34

Hi! I'm 33, just looking to see who else is out there that's Stage IV and in their 30s. I don't know anyone locally in the same age group as me who is also going through this so I thought I would reach out here. :)

Comments

• nancyh
    nancyh Member Posts: 185
    edited January 2013

Hey Kasi,

If you haven't already, check out youngsurvival.org.  I've sorta' aged out now that I'm over 40, but back in the day, they had an active stage 4 board.   If you post there, I'm sure you'd be able to connect with others in your area. 

We've got some young gals here, some are in their 20's, sadly.  :-(  The boards have been a little quiet lately with the holidays, but I'm sure others will reply to your post.  Take care.

• SPAMgirl
    SPAMgirl Member Posts: 137
    edited January 2013

I have less than a year in this age group, but I hit IV at 38. Luckier than some. My kids are 10 and 8 and watch their age more than I do my own.

• kayrnic
    kayrnic Member Posts: 111
    edited January 2013

Kasi, I am 39, but about to turn 40. I was only 28 when originally diagnosed. My son was only 3 at the time. I know I am not 33 anymore, but I can totally relate to what it's like to be younger and battling this stupid disease. The issues are a lot different. Feel free to pm me if I can help in any way.

• Sjayne2u
    Sjayne2u Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013

Hi Kasi,

I'm 37 and fairly new to this entire journey also. I just found the youngsurvival.org site yesterday. It seems to have a lot of info and support there too.

• Kasi
    edited January 2013

Hi all! Thanks for saying hi :-) I have checked out YSC, although their boards are pretty much inactive now and they have moved into a private Facebook group. I really like the setup over here better and having a specific place for Stage IV, you know what I mean? 

Glad to meet you guys!! :-)

• EnglishMajor
    EnglishMajor Member Posts: 122
    edited January 2013

Jen Smith, a 35 year old single mom shared her story at the MBCN Conf. (I don't think she is on this board tho). Just passing along her story:

http://mbcn.org/get-involved/details/your-stories-jen/

http://www.healthmonitor.com/cancer/metastatic-cancer/metastatic-cancer-im-stage-thrive

• kingcour
    kingcour Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013

Hey! Right there with you! I have four children and was diagnosed stage IV right out of the gate after finding a lump while breast feeding my youngest who was born on Valentine's Day of last year. It sucks, but I am determined to raise my young ones! God will get us through this! Nice to meet you!

• Groovywilma
    Groovywilma Member Posts: 47
    edited January 2013

Hey there!  I'm 38 now, diagnosed stage IV when I was 36.  I check out the YSC events every now and then, but sometimes feel uncomfortable with the earlier stage women because my journey is FAR different than theirs.  It helps me more to talk to stage IV people.  I hope you (and everyone else here) get to grow very very old! 

• lanagraves
    lanagraves Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2013

39 here. Dx'd at 38. I have two boys, ages 16 and 10. The 16 year old is starting college next week and I fully intend to be around when he finishes his master's. Heck, I plan to be here to see the youngest graduate from college.

• Tiger_Blood
    Tiger_Blood Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

35 and have a 6 year old!

• hydeskate
    hydeskate Member Posts: 45
    edited January 2013

I am 34 was dx out of the gate with Stage IV in 2008.

• texasrose361
    texasrose361 Member Posts: 895
    edited January 2013

Kasi- I am 30, dx'd at 27 stage 4. You're right about YSC, once the moved over to FB i had a harder time keeping up. I have 4 children (2 whom are mine and 2 that are a friend's that i am rasing) so I don't have TIME for FB lol (although my 17 yr old will post random things on there if i leave my phone in reach) 

There are a few of us young stage 4ers on here :) 

In my area I also haven't found anyone in the same situation, although there is a mom with the tell tell signs of maybe going through chemo, bandanas with sparse hair growth... I am afraid of chatting her up, just in case stage 4ness will scare her off. LOL it has def scared off other potential friends- Are there any groups like in Portland?

• Bondgirl
    Bondgirl Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2013

32 at initial diagnosis and 35 now at stage IV. Unfortunately it seems like there are too many of us.

• Kasi
    edited January 2013

Thank you ALL so much for saying hi...it's so nice to know that you guys are here and that I'm not alone in this :-)

• singletona80
    singletona80 Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2013

Hey I'm 32 original dx at age 29

• aic
    aic Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2013

Hi there...

I am 36. Diagnosed stage four out the gate at 35. I have a son who turns 8 this month. Nice to "meet" those that I haven't talked to before on here. Hate that we all are so young with this but glad we gave each other for support!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited January 2013

Hi All, 

As you know, you are not alone. Do you think that this is worthy of a sticky topic, or a new forum (e.g. Stage IV and young)? 

Thinking of all you incredible women!!!!!
    Your Mods

• Tiger_Blood
    Tiger_Blood Member Posts: 83
    edited January 2013

I would love that.

• singletona80
    singletona80 Member Posts: 44
    edited January 2013

Mods- That would be nice, thanks !!

• Kasi
    edited January 2013

Mods - That would be wonderful, thank you!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,808
    edited January 2013

To start out, I made it a "sticky" topic in this forum. So, it won't sink to the bottom. Hope that helps!
    Best, 

The Mods

• Kasi
    edited January 2013

Thank you so much!!

• aic
    aic Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2013

Thank you!

• Amyf
    Amyf Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013

Me! I was diagnosed at age 28. I'm 30 now :)

• Kasi
    edited January 2013

Hi Amy!

• Mzmerz
    Mzmerz Member Posts: 80
    edited January 2013

I was dx at age 40 - I was 40 by about 5 weeks.  And 40 is still young for BC.  At the time I had 5 kids from 5-15.  I was totally the youngest person in the treatment room when I went.  Sorry you are here with us, but welcome.

• keepingon
    keepingon Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2013

Hello Kasi.

Sorry to have to welcome you to these boards...but Welcome.

I was diagnosed Stage IV right away at age 32. That was two years ago and I have had good success with treatments. I am 34 now.

• nbnotes
    nbnotes Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2013

I was 37 this past summer when diagnosed and found out that it was already in my liver a month before my 38th birthday.  It is nice to "meet" others who are in my age range since that is not what I see when going for treatment. 

Nancy

• EnglishMajor
    EnglishMajor Member Posts: 122
    edited January 2013

This conference is for young people (all stages) with breast cancer. (I am not in the YSC demographic--45 or under, so I don't have feedback on the conferenc/group, just an FYI).

Feb 22-24 Bellevue, WA (Seattle area)

http://www.c4yw.org/2013-agenda

http://www.c4yw.org/travel-grants-fee-waivers

• stellaratovsky
    stellaratovsky Member Posts: 131
    edited January 2013

Hi am 41 years old I was diagnosed at 37 years old. I have two boys they are know 7 and 16. It is so hard to have kids and battle the beast. But I have no choice I refuse to let my boys grow up without a mom. I still need to guide them. May 2013 only bring us all good news.