Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Faslodex Girls Thread

pajim
pajim Member Posts: 930

Tips for taking Faslodex without pain:

ABSOLUTE MUSTS:

• Warm up the syringes. At least room temperature. Armpits work well, as does belly skin.
  • Take the weight off the leg on the side of the shot. Relax that cheek/leg as much as possible.
  • Inject SLOWLY! It should take at least 30 seconds to empty each syringe.

General consensus as helpful:

• Hydrate before and after the shots
  • Take a walk or massage the area afterwards in order to get the castor oil and fulvestrant moving.
  • If you get an allergic-type reaction (itchy, swelling), take Benadryl before the injection (or if skin rash use hydrocortisone cream afterwards).

Side-effects are more squishy so I'll post a list of ones we've seen on the thread next – would all the rest of you ladies please post your comments on this just below? That way any people coming new to the thread can find it all on the first page.

Here's some information on how to handle large-volume injections .

Best wishes to the Fanny Pack of the future! May Faslodex keep you NED for a long time.

Comments

• pajim

Side effects:

From the previous thread I've seen:

Nausea (transient)

Fatigue (transient?)

"Menopausal symptoms" -- hot flashes, vaginal issues, memory problems

Thinning hair

Many women take Zometa as well, so it's possible some of these issues are due to that. I personally have the menopausal symptoms, and thinning hair.   Otherwise no problems at all.

• chris1959
    chris1959 Member Posts: 60

it seems as though I have had more memory problems trying to remember things has gotten worse .have any of you had this problem I go see mo onmonday and I was gonna ask her about it .I have been on it for 2 months now .and I get nauseated quite a bit  I take a sick pill and I feel better .but other than that it has been very easy .

chris

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757

My "personal" additions to the SE list: 

Everything dries up. Treat skin and hair accordingly with non-estrogenic lotions, conditioners, etc. Try different OTC products to see what works best for you.

Pain at and around the injection site can be a constant. Anti-inflammatories help.

Osteoarthritis can be exacerbated by estrogen deprivation. If your joints hurt, see a rheumatologist for advice and medication.

After some time, fatigue may feel to be cumulative. Pace your activities and take breaks to give yourself time to rest. (This is good advice, born of experience. If only I could follow it myself!)

Tina

• pajim

Chris, I had a few memory and focus problems while on tamoxifen.  Faslodex/Femara has made them much worse.  I joke that I don't remember anything anymore.  When I'm actually DOING the task I'm just as good as I ever was. 

I make a to-do list for everything.  That seems to do the trick.  I had a long talk with my boss (who had also noticed) and we agreed to work with it.  Now when he asks me to do something he makes sure I write it down  :-)  And he doesn't feel bad about reminding me.

• s3k5
    s3k5 Member Posts: 411

I am glad, I am not the only one with memory problems! I have severe joints pain (shoulder,elbow,hip) and the oncologist said this was not related to Faslodex. I had similar problems with Femara. I take advil for joint pain. Compared to the SE's of chemo, this is certainly tolerable!

Desi.

• chris1959
    chris1959 Member Posts: 60

thank you pajim

I just have lately felt like I was loosing it iforgot to take my other medicines twice this week and then I will be talking and forget parts of what I want to say ..

i have a lot of joint pain also but i take my pain pills and it helps .

hugs chris

• pajim

Today was the day.  Followed the protocol just as in months past.  But today, the shots got me.  Both sides of my rear end hurt.  Like take 2 Advil hurt.

Do you figure the New Year is turning over a new leaf?  I certainly hope not!

• tina2

Pam, wouldn't that be turning over a new cheek?

You've been darned lucky. Injection pain was bound to get you sooner or later. Let's hope that's the only time!

If I were you I'd add some good chocolate to that Advil. Maybe a glass of Pinot Noir, too.

Tina

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826

I love how you think Tina. That will be my go to treatment from this point forward lol

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826

contacted my onc and the onc nurse did make a mistake. Going forward I will have both faslodex and zometa at the same time. Thank you for the encouragement to speak up. 

• YamaMama
    YamaMama Member Posts: 17

Hi all, I'll just finished 12 weeks of weekly Taxol. I had a good response.  My bones still show slight activity, but my liver is NED. All five liver lesions had a great response.

So I'll be joining you on Faslodex in a few weeks. My local onc wants to give me about three weeks "washout period" (his phrase) and then start Faslodex.  I've read (maybe in the other Faslodex thread) that the body takes  a while to start showing a response to this drug. I'm a little (ok a lot) concerned about that, because I had to start on the taxol due to a huge amt of progression in the liver and many bones. Can anyone share any info about that? 

I've gone through all of the other AI's and I've had my ovaries removed.  So Faslodex seems to be next in line. I just don't want enough time to go by, that I have progression again before it starts to work. 

Thanks for all of the great info I've read so far... Yama

• susan_02143
    susan_02143 Member Posts: 2,394

Pam,

I thought you were a Wednesday gal. You just play fast and loose with that 28 day thing! I am boring and staid... always on a Thursday. [I feel a song coming on.]

Very sorry that you are having an injection pain month though. I will hope that there is no pain by Wednesday, and that you don't slip on the ice either. Getting bloody cold out there. Glad to be back home. Don't need to go out there again until Wednesday morning.

*susan*

• susan_02143

YamaMama,

Not sure what to tell you. My mets disappeared with Faslodex, but I have no idea how long it took. Your oncologist must be monitoring you, right? Does s/he know that you are anxious? If not, tell them to assure yourself that progression won't be allowed to take over. Or something.

But, if s/he is giving you a three-week treatment free period, maybe they aren't that concerned?

Well that was a most unhelpful post! Sorry... and welcome to the Fanny Pack.

*susan*

• pajim

Went on Monday because my onc isn't in day after tomorrow, and I haven't seen him in three months.  Next time Wednesday  :-)

Thank you Tina, I did indeed have my glass of pinot noir with chocolate coming.  Never let it be said I don't take my prescriptions!

YamaMama, I can't help.  My last scan showed regression but that was only two months after starting Faslodex.  We think it was due to the radiation (well the RO thinks so.  MO just laughs).  Next scan will tell the tale.

• susan_02143

Pam, I notice you DID NOT ask me to sing.  :-)  *susan*

• pajim

:-)  Wine, women and song. . . 

Good luck to all you Thursday ladies.  My pain in the butt (no, not my s-i-l this time) is fading nicely.

• pajim

Well, my NP broke all my rules -- I told her not to do this on her day off -- to check and tell me that this afternoon's scan shows "no active spots".  She's the best.

This is only my second scan.  The first said "much reduced".  Does this mean they'll declare NED? 

Woo hoo!  I'm off to celebrate.

• tina2

Yah-hoo, Pam! Enjoy your good news and celebration! ( More chocolate, more Pinot, more....?)

Tina

• Babyswim
    Babyswim Member Posts: 2

Pajim, that is such great news! Wishing you continued health and pain free injections :)

• Connis
    Connis Member Posts: 10

Hey  all just adding my 2 cents,  after my 4th treatment of faslodex   my ass hurts!!!    Both cheeks are black and blue  and I have gotten to use the bathroom a lot  when at work the 2nd and 3rd day after treatment. Also I noticed a generalized weakness for about 48 hours after  treatment but then I am Ok after that

• pajim

Connis, I'm so sorry to hear you're black and blue.  That's a bummer.

• tina2

Connis, I used to get black and blue too when the nurses gave the injections too quickly. Tell them you're getting really bruised and ask them to slow down. Also, make sure you're relaxing that leg!

Tina

• Connis

Thankyou

• Connis

I will  thank you

• Barb312
    Barb312 Member Posts: 64

As of Friday I will be a Faslodex girl.     For some reason I have nausea from  hormone therapy and now I will be on Faslodex.  Any hints on what to expect would be appreciated.  I had jaw trouble taking monthly Zometa and now I will take it every three months.  I will be taking the two together.   

• Tina72
    Tina72 Member Posts: 32

hi ladies, I have been doing faslodex and Femara for about 18 months. I have few side effects, but this time I had a serious blood sugar drop about 4 hours after the shots even though I ate a sandwich right after the injections. I am wondering if this is a normal side effect for any of you. 

Barb312. I take Ativan before my injections to help with anxiety, it also helps  with nausea. I hope it goes smoothly for you

• tina2

Barb312, it's easy to see the member consensus on Faslodex SEs. They are summarized at the beginning of this thread.

Tina72, I've never had any blood sugar drops that I know of, but then I don't have any blood sugar issues. Maybe you need to eat something right after the injections as well as before. 

Tina

• Barb312
    Barb312 Member Posts: 64

Tina, thanks for the good advice  I have Ativan.  Take one every night and sleep like  a baby.  I just pray for no nausea.  I had nausea with Aromasin and Arimidex.  I also have a nausea pill.  Maybe I wlll take that instead of Ativan.  After the chemo I took two years ago, not much phases me.  Not sure I could go through that again.  I also have taken Zometa for a year every month until my jaw clicked out of place with every bite of food I took.  Quit and it went away in a month.  I have agreed to try it again every three months. 

• tina2

Barb, 

Overall,Faslodex is easy compared to many treatments. Most people don't get nausea, or have it mildly. Taking an Ativan to help you relax and be calm on injection day is probably a good idea for the first time, but you may not need to do it again. See how you do and let us know.

Tina

• Crone
    Crone Member Posts: 77

Just connected the dots after three months of Faslodex and figutpred out that I do not have a restful night of sleep the night I have my injections.  You know that kind of sleep you have when you are taking steroids where you feel as if you haven't slept  at all and have vivid dreams.... So watch for me ith the movies, if I regain my  figure after delivering my baby, I will be in a movie with Meryl Streep about the life of my friend.    Oh  yes,I am over 70 and not pregnant and don't know who the famous friend is but if one or two night of restless sleep and weird dreams is the only side effect (except for sore and itchy hips) then I will gladly stay on Faslodex.