Topic: Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Feb 24, 2015 08:21PM - edited Dec 11, 2017 01:43PM by moderators

Posted on: Feb 24, 2015 08:21PM - edited Dec 11, 2017 01:43PM by moderators

Romansma wrote:

A bottle of Ibrance came in the mail today. I will start taking it tonight with Femara. Hoping that others starting on this drug will join me here to talk about side effects and how to avoid or treat them. So far, I've been warned about low white counts. I run very low as it is, probably because of my extensive bone mets. Anyone currently on Ibrance?

Edited by Mods to add Mod Note: Unfortunately, Romansma passed away in 2016. Our thoughts are with all who loved Hope.

Edited by Mods to add:

For more information on this medication, see the main Breastcancer.org site's section on Ibrance for information on how it works, who it's for, what to expect, and side effects. Also, read the latest research on the Research News on Ibrance pages.

Pfizer Oncology Together is a first-of-its-kind program for patients taking Pfizer Oncology medicines that offers dedicated social workers called 'Care Champions' to help navigate the complexities that accompany treatment, such as identifying resources to help find emotional support, and workplace transition, transportation and financial assistance.

For cancer patients taking a Pfizer Oncology medicine (e.g. Ibrance) or caregivers, please visit www.PfizerOncologyTogether.com.

For live support call: 1-877-744-5675

Hope Dx 10/22/2010, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 9/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Chemotherapy 11/1/2010 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 4/1/2011 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) Radiation Therapy 6/8/2011 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 11/29/2011 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 8/2013, ILC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Hormonal Therapy 9/17/2013 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 1/25/2014 Afinitor (everolimus) Radiation Therapy 2/11/2014 External: Bone Chemotherapy 12/6/2014 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 2/20/2015 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/20/2015 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 2713 of 2,726 (27,255 results)

Sep 20, 2022 10:19PM divinemrsm wrote:

I know I’m blathering on and on, but I wanted to say I admire you for going home from work the day you got all flustered. You were listening to yourself and knew that the best thing to do was to remove yourself from the stressful situation and come back fresh the next day. I think it was actually a smart move on your part. Who hasn’t had those kinds of meltdowns? It’s times like those where we can especially practice kindness towards ourselves.

found lump 12-22-10—ilc—er+/pr+/her2—stage iv bone mets—chemo~lumpectomy~radiation~arimidex—March 2019-ibrance/aromasin* —Sept 2019-verzenio* —March 2020-xeloda*

Sep 21, 2022 12:34PM katyblu wrote:

Chicagoan and Divine - Thank you so much for your perspectives! It's good to see how others have tackled these issues and makes me feel less worried and embarrassed by my struggles. It's hard for me to not give 100% but I'm slowly learning that it is okay and MUCH better for my stress levels. It just hurts my controlling side. In reality, my stable of bosses are good with my performance (at least that's what they say) and have championed me taking care of myself. But I do worry that sometimes I am taking advantage of that; I just need to get passed it and take care of me. Divine, thank you for your words of admiration. I felt really embarrassed about it for a while but I totally would not have been effective at work. And I really appreciate seeing what everyone fills their days with. There are some things I'd like to do so hopefully I'll stay engaged and feel fulfilled :)

As for the military part, I think both of you are right. 18 months is not a long time necessarily (though to us, it could be an eternity!) so I should be able to stay in. And perhaps my military boss will be able to help more towards the end of my service time and give me some more flexibility. I especially want to receive both my VA disability retirement AND my service retirement. To get both I need my 20 years. But I think I will pursue a medical retirement at 20 years which may give me a better portfolio of benefits. Pretty sure I can get that ;)

Again, thank you ladies! I always appreciate your advice, humor, and commiseration. Sending out happy thoughts!

First DX at 36 after a deployment to the Middle East. Second DX at 41. Innumerable mets to spine, skull, pelvis, ribs, and left femur head. Surgery 5/17/2017 Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel; Mastectomy (Right): Simple; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left); Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Chemotherapy 6/21/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 11/6/2017 Whole breast, Radiation boost: Right breast, Chest wall Hormonal Therapy 1/15/2018 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Targeted Therapy 9/1/2021 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx ILC, Right, 5cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 1, 1/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx ILC, Other, Stage IV, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 21, 2022 04:10PM aprilgirl1 wrote:

Snowdrop and Sunshine99 - hope you are both feeling better and got rid of the infections.

Katyblu, thank you for your service to our country! you have earned the retirement and I agree with your plan to work for 18 more months. It's ok to work at 80% now and I am so relieved that your management is supportive.

Chicagoan and Divine, i appreciated reading your perspectives, too. Retirement ....when....how long do I have to live.....all of these are monthly questions on my mind .....I honestly assess this every scan. I don't want to work until I am too sick to work, you know what I mean?

My situation: I have been a real estate agent for 11 years now. I worked hard to establish this career and love it. I am self employed which means no long term or short term disability. I do pay in to social security and also paid in when I was working before I had kids and was a stay at home parent. I can go on social security disability but the $ is significantly less than what I make. If I continue on Ibrance/fulvestrant without progression I will retire by choice in 2024 when I am 60.

When I was dx with stage IV in Nov of 2019, I didn't feel great. I had cancer filled lymph nodes in my neck paralyzing my vocal cord (lost my voice) and cancer filled lymph nodes in my chest putting pressure on my windpipe so I had to sleep upright. These symptoms went away within weeks/months of starting treatment started and I began to feel a lot better ....better energy and started to have a little hope that I could survive MBC for more than 2 years. April, 2020 5 months on I/F my voice came back as the lymph nodes were no longer pressing on the laryngeal nerve. Between cancer and Covid, I had less pressure at work and socially. Covid restrictions were started in March of 2020 in Seattle and the month prior most people were pretty worried about Covid here (large outbreak in Kirkland at a care facility in Feb.2020). This gave me more space to navigate my health without calling attention to it and let me get used to my "new surreal normal".

My husband and I have been able to slow down our lives a bit while continuing to work and look forward to retirement. If I get there. We have the usual worries of medical coverage if he retires early so I doubt that will happen. He is 59 and I am 58. We also have a 23 year old son with "high functioning" autism. Our son is doing well but not done with school. He has a job but isn't making enough to be self supporting so most of my commissions go towards savings and perhaps helping our son by buying him a condo in the future. Our daughter is 25 and doing great but we would love to help her buy a home as well since everything is so expensive. These are the reasons I am still working full time. My husband and I are working with an atty to set up trusts and wills and all of that.

2024 is my goal! However, if I have a progression, I will stop working sooner. I would love to spend time with family while I still feel good. My husband has a flexible job so we could travel if there is decent wifi so he can work for 7 hours and then we can sight see.

Sorry this is so long!

My new oncologist appt went well, she is young but smart from what I can tell:) She said I can start having less frequent scans since I have been stable/NEAD for 2 years. I want to have a scan in December so in 3 months and then starting 2023 we can go to 4 months. Baby steps!

recurrence in lymph nodes (superclavicle/mediastinal)"You can do it like it's a great weight on you, or you can do it like it's part of the dance." Ram Dass Dx 11/7/2008, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IB, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 11/13/2019, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+/PR+, HER2-

Sep 22, 2022 08:05AM rk2020 wrote:

Katyblu -You have gotten some excellent feedback already. My situation was different then most because I was already fiscally and mentally ready for early retirement at 51 when I was dx early stage. I was actually dx about a week after accepting an offer on our house. I was a detail oriented workaholic (to say the least). I had planned and planned for retirement since in my early 20s. I had plans on taking dancing lessons, bread baking classes etc. I was going to take backpacking trips in the Rockies. I was going to raise chickens and even had a giant vegetable garden planned right down to which vegetables I was going to plant where. I love gardening so I thought that if I got antsy, I could work part time at the local nursery during their busy season. None of that materialized but I did other wonderful things to keep me busy. And I finally allowed myself to relax and just be. Wow, what a gift. I cannot believe what life is like without the stress of my job (granted some of the stress was self inflicted because I was so damn driven). So while my story may or may not resonate with you, I’m here to tell you that it is possible for a neurotic workaholic to be happy in retirement. That being said, if your health allows, hang in there until you make 20. But if things go south, don’t be afraid to pull the trigger. Sometimes just knowing you CAN pull the trigger is enough to help you stay the course and finish out the remaining months until you reach your retirement milestone. Be kind to yourself and don’t feel guilty at work. But do let your superiors know that you appreciate their accommodations. Trust me, my old boss wouldn’t have had ANY compassion. None.

Surgery 5/1/2016 Lumpectomy (Right); Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel Chemotherapy 6/20/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/1/2016 Whole breast: Right breast Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 3/10/2020 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 3/28/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib) Radiation Therapy 2/22/2021 Other part Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2021 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/1/2021 Verzenio Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy External Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

Sep 23, 2022 11:56PM mkirkwood wrote:

Hello!

Thank you for allowing me to pop into your group.

Katy I understand what you're saying about things setting you off and throwing off your day. I am driven and a bit of a workaholic and I do experience that from time to time but am learning to roll with it and give myself a break. I'm still responsible for my actions but I don't beat myself up for making mistakes or when things don't go according to plan. I try to move on and do what I need to do for myself.

I'm turning 60 in a few weeks and have outlived my mother by 2 years. She died from Lymphoma 22 years ago and I still miss her every day. So every perfect and imperfect day is a gift for me.

All of your retirement descriptions sound lovely! I "retired" from my first career when we relocated to the west coast and I stayed home to look after the children and ran several at-home businesses over the years. I actually went back to work full time 5 years ago when my husband was considering retiring. We've been married 32 years and it works because we've never been home full time together. COVID hit and he still didn't retire but instead started working from home which he really enjoys so we've had a bit of a role reversal. He does more stuff around the house and that has helped with my stress & pressure.

I love my job working in a private school surrounded by the energy of young people. I do plan to retire at 65 (if I continue to have the energy and can make it) but I have to say I appreciate all the benefits/insurance that I have working full time and my employers are very flexible with me taking time off.

As for my recent diagnosis (single met to the sternum in a previously radiated area) and plans for treatment I'm currently on hold. I spoke to my Med Onc on Wednesday and after some back and forth we've decided to not do anything but re-scan in 3 months - Dec 1. He is going ahead with all the paperwork to get approval for Ibrance but is hesitant to put me on a drug that will affect my whole body when I just have a small single spot (for now). He feels that with my disease history I have time to make a decision and he thinks that radiation is the best treatment for me. Although the radiation onc was focused on telling me the risks (10% risk of a negative outcome) my Med Onc was telling me that 90% of a positive outcome is pretty good. It's all about perspective I guess.

I asked him if I should be throwing everything at this recurrence and he didn't think so. He wants to hold off until I really need Ibrance. I'm good with this for now but I'll have to make a decision after the Dec scan.

Hugs to all and thanks for sharing and caring and all the loving support!

Sep 24, 2022 12:37PM sunshine99 wrote:

Well shucks! Came to visit my dad for the weekend. Unpacked my pill container and box of Ibrance. Turns out, I brought the used box and not the new one that starts today. Oh well. Hoping two days off won't kill me. Just kidding. I know it won't, but I still can't believe I did that.

my-sunny-side-up.com Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External Local Metastases 5/5/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External Local Metastases 5/12/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Sep 24, 2022 10:12PM kbl wrote:

Sunshine, I’m so sorry that happened. I hope you can still enjoy your visit.

De Novo ILC - No primary found. Mets to full spine, femurs, skull, and stomach. Missed diagnosis from 2013 to 2019 Dx 5/1/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/other, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 5/1/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 5/1/2019 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 9/27/2021 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Sep 25, 2022 12:51PM sunshine99 wrote:

Thanks, kbl. It will be fine. It's only two days, and I've held off longer than that when my ANC really tanked. I'll be sure to check the package the next time.

my-sunny-side-up.com Cancer has progressed to my bones. I pray that it never enters my soul. Dx 11/2/2007, IDC, 3cm, Stage IIA, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 3/26/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2020 Arimidex (anastrozole) Radiation Therapy 5/5/2020 External Local Metastases 5/5/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Radiation Therapy 5/12/2020 External Local Metastases 5/12/2020 Radiation therapy: Bone Targeted Therapy 6/10/2020 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Oct 7, 2022 11:30AM wren44 wrote:

I took my first Ibrance last night. It took us several tries to break into the package. Sheesh! What happens when I don't have enough energy?

Lumpectomy and re-excision followed by mastectomy of right breast. Five years of anastrasole completed. Chemotherapy 6/17/2022 Other Surgery Lumpectomy (Right) Surgery Mastectomy (Right)

Oct 7, 2022 03:22PM spookiesmom wrote:

scissors work better than fingers!!

Page 2713 of 2,726 (27,255 results)

Scroll to top button