Topic: Ibrance (Palbociclib)

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Feb 24, 2015 08:21PM - edited Dec 11, 2017 01:43PM by moderators

Posted on: Feb 24, 2015 08:21PM - edited Dec 11, 2017 01:43PM by moderators

Romansma wrote:

A bottle of Ibrance came in the mail today. I will start taking it tonight with Femara. Hoping that others starting on this drug will join me here to talk about side effects and how to avoid or treat them. So far, I've been warned about low white counts. I run very low as it is, probably because of my extensive bone mets. Anyone currently on Ibrance?

Edited by Mods to add Mod Note: Unfortunately, Romansma passed away in 2016. Our thoughts are with all who loved Hope.

Edited by Mods to add:

For more information on this medication, see the main Breastcancer.org site's section on Ibrance for information on how it works, who it's for, what to expect, and side effects. Also, read the latest research on the Research News on Ibrance pages.

Pfizer Oncology Together is a first-of-its-kind program for patients taking Pfizer Oncology medicines that offers dedicated social workers called 'Care Champions' to help navigate the complexities that accompany treatment, such as identifying resources to help find emotional support, and workplace transition, transportation and financial assistance.

For cancer patients taking a Pfizer Oncology medicine (e.g. Ibrance) or caregivers, please visit www.PfizerOncologyTogether.com.

For live support call: 1-877-744-5675

Hope Dx 10/22/2010, ILC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIB, Grade 2, 9/10 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2-, Chemotherapy 11/1/2010 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Chemotherapy 4/1/2011 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide) Radiation Therapy 6/8/2011 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes, Chest wall Surgery 11/29/2011 Prophylactic ovary removal Dx 8/2013, ILC, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR-, HER2-, Hormonal Therapy 9/17/2013 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 1/25/2014 Afinitor (everolimus) Radiation Therapy 2/11/2014 External: Bone Chemotherapy 12/6/2014 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 2/20/2015 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/20/2015 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 610 of 2,726 (27,251 results)

Jan 3, 2017 06:04PM cure-ious wrote:

Happy New Year, Shetland! CoQ is an antioxidant and part of the mitochondria energy-producing system- statins can make levels go low, and so my primary doc always recommends taking a supplement if you take a statin-

Jan 3, 2017 06:06PM cure-ious wrote:

Hi MJ, I love your sense of humor! Do you know what it is about Ribocyclib that your doc thinks may make it better than Ibrance? It has taken longer than Ibrance to get FDA approval, no? So I've been assuming that means not as good...

Jan 3, 2017 06:11PM lulubee wrote:

Shetland, I don't know if a biopsy is on the horizon. In over six years, my onc has never wanted to dig samples out of my bones if we could possibly avoid it. When I recurred in 2010, we were actually glad to find a sprinkling of BC cells around my right ovary, so we were able to confirm whether the new mets were ILC or IDC-- as I had originally presented with both types way back in 2007.

(And yeah, when those ovaries left me and letrozole came on board, hello muffin-top. I feel your pain, sister.)

As for what is happening now, she did order a CTC last month. I haven't seen her since then to ask all my questions (see next paragraph), but surely the labs profile the circulating cells they capture? On that score, my CTC was the lowest it's ever been-- 2. So that's a happy discovery, at least.

Get this. I have new insurance yet again this year and I cannot see my oncologist until I jump through all their hoops. Had an appointment scheduled for today that I was forced to cancel. So I am now scrambling on the phone to find an in-network PCP who is willing to see me quickly so I can get the required referral to see the same oncologist I've been seeing for almost a decade. RIDICULOUS. DH tried to reason with them that I have stage IV cancer that is progressing and need to get my chemo ASAP... as in tomorrow... but no. Rules are rules.

SO... the doctor that BCBS assigned to me on my new insurance card? She refused to see me. She only sees patients in assisted living. What the actual heck.

8/07: ILC & IDC, multi-focal/multicentric, ER+PR+ Her2-, no nodes. BMX+lat flap. 10/10: STAGE IV ILC bones, ovary & pericardium. 12/13 progression: bones & bile duct. 12/16 progression: bones & pericardium. 8/18 progression: bones. Hormonal Therapy 11/6/2010 Femara (letrozole) Surgery 11/6/2010 Hormonal Therapy 2/1/2012 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy 5/15/2012 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 5/15/2012 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 10/1/2013 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 3/13/2019 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 3/13/2019 Verzenio Targeted Therapy 9/24/2020 Piqray (alpelisib) Chemotherapy 3/3/2022 Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy Halaven (eribulin)

Jan 3, 2017 06:33PM MJHJAN1014 wrote:

Cure-ious, I believe that Novartis just took longer to develop Ribociclib than Pfizer did Ibrance. No doubt they are wishing that they could have beat Pfizer to the finish line! My MO did not say why the Ribociclib may be more effective. I think it's early in the game. I think the trial was halted because the drug is promising enough. The results are not in regarding "progression free survival" times(with letrozole), because those participants are still progression free. Hugs MJH

Dx 1/10/2014, IDC, 1cm, Stage I, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 1/30/2014 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Sentinel Radiation Therapy 2/10/2014 Breast Chemotherapy 3/5/2014 Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Dx 6/10/2016, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/15/2017 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 3/22/2018 Xeloda (capecitabine) Dx 3/7/2019, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 3/8/2019 Doxil (liposomal doxorubicin) Chemotherapy 8/21/2019 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 2/27/2020 Halaven (eribulin) Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Jan 3, 2017 07:08PM Apg wrote:

MJ, I am the one doing the Gedatolisib trial. Well I get the first treatment on Monday. I will keep you posted on how it goes. i received my first xgeva injection today. What things should I expect from it. I will start Femara and ibrance on Monday with the trial IV infusion. I will have several days I go in for blood draws for the first 2 months. The treatment is once a week for as long as it works or I need to stop it. I think they said I am only the 14th person in the U.S. to participate.

Dx 2/10/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 8/27 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/26/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/13/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy 9/13/2016 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 11/22/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Targeted Therapy 1/9/2017 Hormonal Therapy Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Jan 3, 2017 08:22PM mike3121 wrote:

I remember reading (somewhere??) that Ibrance is more effective with bone mets and Ribocyclib is more effective with liver mets and other non-bone mets. From what I gather it's best to hit cancer with a one-two punch as it doesn't seem to be able to react and find a way around the treatment.

Fingers crossed. After a year of Tamoxifen my wife has a couple small mets on her spine. They were too small to biopsy so we're waiting until mid February for a PET scan and biopsy as they might be big enough then. She needs to have a biopsy to determine her treatment because she had, at the same time: ER+PR+HER2- grade 1, 100% estrogen, ER+PR+HER2- grade 3, 30% estrogen and triple negative metaplastic BC.

Jan 3, 2017 08:49PM - edited Jan 3, 2017 09:52PM by zarovka

Welcome Mike. How did you figure out the heterogeneity of your wife's tumors? Also, be aware that there is a high error rate in determining hormone status from bone biopsies.

Circulating tumor cell tests also have issues; however, at least you don't have to do a bone biopsy. Biocept and friends are something to consider.

Apg - I don't know if you saw the earlier discussion of Bulparisib, a PI3K inhibitor. I was shocked to learn that the drug worked but the trial was stopped due to multiple (3?) suicide attempts by the trial participants. Gedatolisib is also a PI3K inhibitor. That doesn't necessarily mean it will cause depression and I would still take advantage of the trial; however, let the people close to you know about this (remotely) possible side effect. The issue didn't come up with Bulparisib until the drug went into phase III trials with a large group of women so even it it is a side effect of Gedatolisib it is unlikely to happen to you ...

Thank you for the periodic updates on your experience.

>Z<

Ibrance/Letrozol Feb '16 -Sep '17. Adoptive Cell Therapy Oct 2017. Jan 2018 SBRT to sternum met and liver mets. Jan 2018 start Faslodex. Dx 12/28/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/17/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Jan 3, 2017 09:06PM Apg wrote:

Thank you, Z. I will definitely let my husband know this. I did ask the trial coordinator if they have received any updates on others in the trial. They do not unless it is something negative. She said that since they had not heard anything she assumed it was going well for the others. I'm hoping so!

Dx 2/10/2016, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIB, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, 8/27 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 2/26/2016 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 7/13/2016 Mastectomy: Right; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Radiation Therapy 9/13/2016 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Dx 11/22/2016, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Targeted Therapy 1/9/2017 Hormonal Therapy Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole), Zoladex (goserelin)

Jan 3, 2017 10:00PM - edited Jan 3, 2017 10:00PM by dlb823

Here are some links that talk about the differences in CDK4/6 inhibitors, as well as where they are re. release.

http://www.fiercepharma.com/marketing/mano-a-mano-...

https://www.novartis.com/news/media-releases/novar...

http://www.fiercepharma.com/marketing/pfizer-s-ibr...

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/447284

As I understand it, ribociclib differs from palbo in that it doesn't lower counts, so can be taken continuously, without breaks. Abemaciclib's unique feature is that it crosses the blood brain barrier.

Deanna "The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears" Native American proverb Dx 2/1/2008, 1cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 1/16 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 1/3/2014, Stage IV

Jan 3, 2017 10:03PM zarovka wrote:

Apg - Phase I trials are often less than 30 people so if a side effect has a frequency of 3 people in 1,147 participants odds are it won't show up in Phase I.

Have you been tested for a PI3K mutation by any chance? May ask what test it was?

>Z<

Ibrance/Letrozol Feb '16 -Sep '17. Adoptive Cell Therapy Oct 2017. Jan 2018 SBRT to sternum met and liver mets. Jan 2018 start Faslodex. Dx 12/28/2015, IDC, Left, 4cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 1/17/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 2/2/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib)

Page 610 of 2,726 (27,251 results)

Scroll to top button