We are 218,536 members in 81 forums discussing 154,783 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Can things improve with no change in treatment?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Apr 4, 2015 09:35AM

Ohmydarlin wrote:

First let me back up to PET/CT from December, 2014. I had a spot on my sacrum that we had been watching for a year. At the time (2013) it was first visible on PET/CT, my MO dropped Tamoxifen and added Arimidex. She also added Perjeta to Herceptin. In December the uptake was stable so she recommended spot radiation. One dose of radiation was done in December. Last week I had another PET/CT. The initial spot is still visible but the uptake is around 3. There is new uptake on L5...barely lit up. MO said it is unremarkable. The other new spot is in my left breast...uptake 2.5. This is the opposite breast from initial diagnosis. MO ordered mammogram and ultrasound of left breast. The radiologist feels it is fat necrosis. I was given the option of imaging again in 6 months or biopsy. I chose to wait the 6 months. Of course if I notice any change I will contact them immediately. Here is my question....MO isn't changing my treatment. Is there the possibility of improvement to the areas of concern without changing anything?

Dx 2/13/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Apr 4, 2015 10:02AM lotusblossom wrote:

Hi OMD,

I was on Navelbine for 2.5 years. During the first few months on it, I was stable. After about 6 months, I had slight progression but my onc kept me on it because it was my 5th line of treatment and options were running out. I think I had 2 scans that showed slight progression. At about the 2 year mark, I began to have significant improvement. At the 2.5 year mark, I was NED and have been that way for the past 15 months.

So, yes, things can improve with no change in treatment!

At first, I thought my onc was crazy to keep me on it when I was showing slight progression, but his patience ended up being the right decision.

Lotusblossom

Dx 6/5/2009, Right, <1cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs/other, mets, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Apr 4, 2015 11:04AM diana50 wrote:

thanks for your post lotus

Been on taxol (3 weeks on 1 week off) since July 2014. Tx has worked. Cleared out Mets and got me stable. TMs are still in 400. I have two more taxols and then CT scan. If things are stable onc is talking about maintence. Possible new tx. I actually think about staying on taxol but 2 weeks on and two weeks off if it can keep me stable. I know what to expect with taxol side effects. Don't want to have new side effects that I am not used to. All I want is to be stable and have a life. All we all want. If tx can maintain I want to stay on it before switching. Sigh. It's hard to know what to do. Conversation with onc is so important. Best

Not today cancer. Nope. Dx 2/26/2002, IDC, 1cm, Stage IIIC, Grade 3, 10/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 3/4/2002 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Underarm/Axillary Chemotherapy 4/3/2002 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 8/6/2002 Hormonal Therapy 8/10/2002 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 8/30/2012, IDC, 1cm, Stage IV, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Radiation Therapy 10/2/2012 Bone Chemotherapy 7/8/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 5/6/2015 Ixempra (ixabepilone) Chemotherapy 10/5/2015 Gemzar (gemcitabine) Hormonal Therapy 4/12/2016 Faslodex (fulvestrant)

Apr 5, 2015 02:42PM Ohmydarlin wrote:

Thanks for the encouraging comments!! I understand that it is best to be cautious when changing treatments as there aren't endless options. Here's to improvements in 6 months!!

Dx 2/13/2012, IDC, Stage IV, Grade 2, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Dec 21, 2018 03:59PM Healedforever wrote:

Hello Lotusblossom,

I am really amazed by your story. Can you please share who is your oncologist. Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)