Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Float tank....is it safe during treatment?

Options
Ohmydarlin
Ohmydarlin Member Posts: 43

Has anyone been to a float tank while in treatment? I am on H & P, Faslodex and Xgeva. Would love to give it a try. Definitely plan to ask my MO in February.

Comments

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited January 2016
    Options

Darling...I'm floating tomorrow at 8:30 am!  My son gave me a couple sessions, via Groupon.  As a swimmer & former swim teacher/coach, floating is my most favorite thing to do!  I also waited to get the ok from my onc & he said it was a great thing to try.  I asked if the level of Epsom salt (magnesium) was safe & he said as long as I don't drink it...LOL!  As far as cleanliness, they tell how the pods are cleansed & require a shower before, with their shampoo/soap, to make sure your body is clean.  They tell you to hydrate well before, no caffeine w/in a few hours (I only do decaf anyhow), and they have you stay a while afterwards to get grounded.  I'm so ready for it!!!  I'll make sure to let you & Bon know how it goes.  

• shutterbug73
    shutterbug73 Member Posts: 284
    edited January 2016
    Options

I've never heard of this! I'm anxious to hear how it goes, so please report back!

• AmyQ
    AmyQ Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2016
    Options

I would LOVE to try this out - let us know what you think about it. Water and me = peace.

Amy

• Ohmydarlin
    edited January 2016
    Options

Can't wait to hear!! I see my MO on Wednesday and plan to get her ok before giving it a try.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited January 2016
    Options

I'm very intrigued. Have fun!!

• ronniekay
    edited January 2016
    Options

Well...I departed the pod at 10:10 am, it's 11:30 pm & seriously, I still feel the calm!  It was a great experience...would recommend it!  It was a very calming ambiance in the front office & the handsome, young man that checked me in explained the process and led me to the pod room.  Very sleek/modern, European design (all my European sisters!). The room was dim & brightened a bit every few minutes. No clothing, as the fibers can get in the filter system. The open shower was in the room w/ soap, shampoo & fluffy towels.  I'd asked before about music (wanted to make sure there wasn't any) & he said it's not recommended...for total sensory peace.  So, I put ear plugs in, showered, got in the pod, sat down, pulled the fiberglass lid down, laid back & instantly floated. The Epsom salt concentration was thick & softening.  I turned the light off...and a man's voice started a meditation chant!  I was confused & thought maybe it was just to calm me...but I couldn't really hear so it bugged me. Within a few minutes, it stopped...and the incredible feeling of peaceful weightlessness began!  It was as if my body was floating in space.  He said people tend to tighten their neck muscles so I was aware of that...for about 10 seconds...and then it was just a natural calm.  I'd get a thought...and it'd be gone just as quickly.  One thought was to take it all in to share with you..and then, I just let it go. He said arms stretched along your head is perfect alignment for the spine so I started there.  When I thought to stretch them out to the side...it was like they were in jello...I hardly moved, but if I did, it was barely noticeable.  I heard my heartbeat & seriously understood what I read about replicating being in the womb. Then, I was aware of the shallow, easy breaths...a huge smile for me, as w/anxiety I sometimes take really deep breaths to feel like all is ok.  With a very deep yoga session, I've cried....with this there were a few times I felt teary. I guess some people sleep..I didn't, I just wanted to "soak it all up"...HA!  Quiet music & the dim light goes on when the session ends & I took my time exiting. After showering & dressing, I talked to the guy about the voice & he apologized, saying the floater the prior evening requested the chant and he'd forgotten it was on, so I got extra time!  It ended just in time as I'd hydrated well before & had to go!  I hydrated well all day & just puttered around & saw Star Wars.  I feel quite renewed...a good feeling.  I had harsh side effects from my first acupuncture, which my onc agreed may have been due to clogged meridians.  He said to try again (3 months later) and I think this may have prepared me for that on Wed.  My son gave me 2 float sessions, so I'll probably do the next one in 2-3 weeks.  They cost about $50 w/out groupons but of course, the more you buy the less they cost.  It will be a treat!  Sorry for the long blab...anxious to from others :-)

• ronniekay
    edited January 2016
    Options

The pod :-)
  • Ohmydarlin
    edited January 2016
    Options

I scan on Wednesday and have begun the anxious, moody pattern that normally sets in a few days before. Now that I've heard how much you enjoyed it, I would love to go today!! Thanks for sharing :)

• ronniekay
    edited January 2016
    Options

Oh gosh....I totally hear you!   Hope it gives you calm...and praying for clear scans!  Report back, Mate (in my floating pirate voice!).

• shutterbug73
    edited January 2016
    Options

Oh my gosh I have to find one of these in Michigan! Do you actually lay down in there? It looks so small. Not sure how I feel about the lid...I've only gone tanning once and hated the "coffin" feel of the lid over me (shutter), but that could be because I was constantly worrying that I was giving myself skin cancer. Oh the irony.

• ronniekay
    edited February 2016
    Options

Shutterbug...I was a tanning failure too...LOL!  Went once & not only could I not close the lid completely..I cleaned that thing so well before, you could've served dinner on it & I wore my underwear!   The pod is fiberglass so the lid is very light & it doesn't snap shut...just lowers slowly (lift system) & you don't have to shut it all the way (I just typed shut & spell check changed it to you know what...ack!!!).  I'm 5'5 and had lotsa room but you look tall & lovely...maybe there are longer ones???   (ps...I went off the pill at 35 after a dream of bc...DH had surgery...yep...irony).  Hope you can try it!

• shutterbug73
    edited February 2016
    Options

LOL Ronnie! I'm tempted to not mess with the image you have of me as tall and lovely, but alas I am only average at 5'4'' (now that MBC has taken away the 1/4 inch that put me above average)! Miss you on the H&P thread, but sounds like H alone is working well for you!

• ronniekay
    edited February 2016
    Options

Bon...I was nude..HA...I don't think I've ever said that before...lol!  They say clothes leave fibers that get into the filter system so they prefer you forego them. The sessions are an hour long, but you can get out any time you want.  I know some say an hour is a long time, others do 2-3 hrs. An hour was just right for me.  I'll definitely do it again!

• Ohmydarlin
    edited February 2016
    Options

My first float is at 9:30am today!!! I'll let you know how it goes.

• ronniekay
    edited February 2016
    Options

Yippee...hoping you loved it!

• Ohmydarlin
    edited February 2016
    Options

I definitely enjoyed floating today!! It took me a while to figure out the most comfortable position. I found that having my hands on the back of my neck worked best for me. It was so relaxing!! I felt so calm all day.

• ronniekay
    edited February 2016
    Options

I didn't think of my hands under my neck...I float like that in the pool!  Hoping today finds your calm continued. I'm thinking I'll do it again in a few weeks. I had acupuncture on Wed & told him I'd floated & thought it was very calming. He was surprised, saying most people he'd spoken to said they got claustrophobic & wouldn't do it again. I think going through all the treatments, tests, scans, etc with bc, we're not quite as intimated by the stillness. Although my onc said there's no worry about the magnesium, the acupuncturist said to be mindful it is absorbed in the skin.  Did you hear your heartbeat?

• Ohmydarlin
    edited February 2016
    Options

I could hear my heart beating loudly when I first started. As I relaxed, it became less obvious. I'm looking forward to going again in a few weeks and I think it will be even more calming :)

• fujiimama
    fujiimama Member Posts: 236
    edited February 2016
    Options

now I am determined to find one in Spokane.

• ronniekay
    edited February 2016
    Options

Fujii...I promise this summer we meet up!!!!  Maybe float outside...LOL!