Log in to post a reply
Jun 25, 2017 02:20AM
These are emotional tips for the newly diagnosed with Stage 4 right from the get-go.
1. We are a special group. (Yeah, isn't that just great...)
2. You WILL be in shock for a while. Take it slow. Give yourself time to process it. (I had NINE mammos, and they could only find mine thru a dye-infused CT scan, mine is callled "occult, amorphic" which means "hidden, without shape")
3. After you get over the shock, you will be angry, depressed, and go thru many other emotions. Once again, give yourself time to process these emotions.
4. It WILL get better after you assemble your medical team and get a treatment plan in place.
5. Stay in touch with the ladies on this board. We have blazed the trail and can help you get thru this hell.
6. If you can, continue to exercise. I have 4 spinal compression fractures (thank you, Mr. Cancer) and 3 rib fractures (thanks again, Mr. C), but I try to walk several times a week with cane and rolling walker. It was hard at first....I'm too young to be seen this way! But pride gives way to practicality. The drugs we're on to keep us alive can weaken our bones and make us achy. Light exercise helps helps physically and emotionally.
7. If you're a spiritual person, now's the time to dig down deep and get back into your faith. It helps. If you're not, try to find some comfort from spending time in nature or in meditation.
8. As things "normalize," (and they will...I'm 15+ months out from dx), find a new hobby, or volunteer, ANYTHING that will help get your mind off the big C. You'll go insane if you spend 24/7 thinking about your situation with no repreive.
9. As others have said, if you need anti anxiety or anti depressants, GET THEM.
10. Look for humor every day. No joke, laughter is great medicine.
Peace and hugs,
Stage IV De Novo, Occult, Amorphic. New Brain Mets Aug 2017. Now on Gemzar. I've been dragged into an arranged marriage I didn't agree to. Divorce is off the table now that I'm married to Mr. Cancer. Grateful for however many days I have left.
4/14/2016, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, ER+/PR+, HER2-
4/27/2016 External: Bone
5/22/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine)
4/20/2017 External: Bone
8/23/2017, IDC, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2-
9/6/2017 External: Brain
10/10/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel)