We are 199,617 members in 81 forums discussing 146,166 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY → Topic: Just diagnosed with Stage IV

Topic: Just diagnosed with Stage IV

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: Jan 11, 2018 03:41PM

jods520 wrote:

I am new to this forum but realize it could be a good place to connect with others with a similar diagnosis. I was just diagnosed with breast cancer December 18th, and had to also have a bone biopsy of my left hip as something showed up on my Petscan. I found out today it was positive, so they know it has traveled. I am so sad but really trying to stay optimistic.

My dr. is going to start me on Tamoxifen (I am ER positive) and Ribocyclib, an oral chemo next week.

Does anyone here with any experience taking these two drugs?

Thank you,

Jody Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)

Posts 1 - 4 (4 total)

Jan 11, 2018 11:01PM Stefajoy wrote:

Jody, I have not had either of those drugs, but I started out Stage 4 , also with one bone met to my hip. I’ve had some ups and downs, but 6 1/2 years later I’m still doing well, am otherwise heathy, watching my children become adults, traveling and loving life, even tho I still have cancer.

Hope that helps you stay optimistic.

Stefanie

Dx 7/29/2011, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy Xeloda (capecitabine) Targeted Therapy Radiation Therapy Chemotherapy TAC Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Fat grafting, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Fat grafting, Silicone implant, Tissue expander placement Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole)

Jan 12, 2018 01:55AM Zillsnot4me wrote:

It takes some time to adjust. I'll be hitting my five year mark in a few months. I have young children and manage to keep up with homework and practices and games. I am more likely to go to bed when they do.

I took ibrance and arimidex and did well. It's a similar regime to yours. Traveled internationally. Fatigue was the biggest side effect. Had to give in and nap sometimes.

Just remember the first round or two are the hardest as your body and mind adjust. Then you will level out. Don't be afraid to tell your nurse or MO about your side effects. There's lots of drugs out there to help.

Also check out support groups, counseling, yoga classes, Livestrong programs in your area for support. I'm amazed how much is available. I'm still close with the girls I met at Livestrong.

Good luck.

Liver 1/ 2016, Xgeva 9/2015, Bones 4/2015, Lungs 4/2013 Dx 4/2013, 4cm, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 4/29/2013 Lymph node removal: Right; Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left Chemotherapy 5/23/2013 AC Hormonal Therapy 10/2/2013 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 11/6/2013 Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 9/25/2015 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 1/7/2016 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 1/7/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 2/4/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/24/2017 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Chemotherapy 11/16/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Jan 12, 2018 07:30PM pajim wrote:

Jody, welcome! Welcome to the club no one wants to join. The first few weeks are hard -- be gentle on yourself. Once you get used to the treatment you'll lead almost a normal life.

Join the Ibrance thread. Ribciclib is a sister drug to palbociclib (which is Ibrance). Lots of ladies are taking the same drugs and can offer advice.

Some women sail through the CDK 4/6 inhibitors, some don't. Do not assume you'll have a hard time. I didn't. And if you do get tired, rearrange your life so you can take a nap.

I've been at this almost five years now. I still work full-time and do almost all the things I ever did. When I was first diagnosed my onc told me 'not to give away my stuff". In other words, think long-term.

Good luck! Life will get better.

Dx 4/20/2008, IDC, Right, 4cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2/1/2013, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2013 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 4/22/2013 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 2/25/2016 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy 6/19/2017 Xeloda (capecitabine)

Jan 13, 2018 02:44PM jods520 wrote:

Thank you, ladies. Your responses made me feel better. I think I am just still in shock that this is stage 4 outright, and as of Thursday, the treatment plan that I thought I was going into has changed completely. I also think the "not knowing what to expect" aspect of this all is nerve wracking. 

I start fighting this fight on Monday! 

Page 1 of 1 (4 results)