Topic: Lynparza/Olaparib Anyone?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 01:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 01:19AM by geekness

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 01:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 01:19AM by geekness

geekness wrote:

I'm looking to share side effects or just any updates on Lynparza / Olaparib. I just started targeted therapy on Jan 12th. Aside from a little heartburn at first (helped with OTC pill), I've now started some daily Immodium, which the pharmacy sent WITH the Lynparza. Lol. I've started to just feel plain odd and very emotional. I can usually keep it together. I'm wondering if anyone else is yet on this medication. I'm Brca1 Stage 4 (Triple Negative) with mets to lungs and sacrum/soft tissue. I was doing gemzar/Carbo until December, which was keeping three small modules in lungs stable, but not helping anything in sacrum. So we switched it up and both insurance and pharm are helping me with copays on the meds, which I know I am very lucky to have had happen. It seems I can't find a big group yet that's taking this drug to compare how they might be feeling and I'd love to try and connect with a few people. I think even that might help me get right in my brain for a bit.

Chemotherapy 9/2/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Dx 8/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 3, 0/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 1 of 13 (125 results)

Feb 4, 2018 07:34PM denny123 wrote:

Hi,

I started a thread calling it Olaparib, but no answers.  I am waiting for my chemo center to get grants to pay the co-pays, and if so, I will start it within 2 weeks.  Will see my onc Feb 9.

I will certainly keep you updated.  I am a 16 year survivor of Stage 4 BC with original metasis to my liver (Gemzar with Herceptin cleared my liver), and have been on chemo for the whole 16 years.

I am Her2Neu +++, but the tumors in my chest nodes are somatic BRCA2 positive.

I was on Kadcyla for 4 years until it quit working and it made me so constipated, that I might not need Immodium.

I recently was on a clinical trial of Poziotinib and only lasted for 8 days since it was a nightmare.  I was given Immodium with it, but didn't need it.

Great to find someone to "talk" to!!!

As far as emotional, I have been a wreck just thinking my time was up since we are running out of chemos.

Denise

Dx 12/14/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 3, 4/40 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/20/2003 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Lymph node removal (Right); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (Right): Latissimus dorsi flap Chemotherapy 3/31/2003 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Gemzar (gemcitabine), Taxotere (docetaxel), Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 10/10/2003 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 1/30/2004 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 7/5/2011 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy

Feb 5, 2018 11:58AM denny123 wrote:

I just got approved for the Lynparza (Olaparib) and my co-pay will only be $3.70 a month!!!

The pharmacist talked to me about it and how to take it.  UPS will deliver it on Wed, and I left a message at my chemo center asked if I can start the pills immediately or do I have to wait until I see my onc on Friday first.

Dx 12/14/2002, IDC, Both breasts, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 3, 4/40 nodes, mets, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/20/2003 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Lymph node removal (Right); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Left): Latissimus dorsi flap; Reconstruction (Right): Latissimus dorsi flap Chemotherapy 3/31/2003 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Gemzar (gemcitabine), Taxotere (docetaxel), Xeloda (capecitabine) Radiation Therapy 10/10/2003 Breast, Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 1/30/2004 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 7/5/2011 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Herceptin (trastuzumab) Targeted Therapy

Feb 5, 2018 01:30PM Kkrenz wrote:

Awesome news Denny - I really hope this works for you!!!

Kris Dx 3/30/2017, IDC, Both breasts, Stage IV, metastasized to brain/bone/liver, ER+/PR-, HER2+, Targeted Therapy 4/12/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 4/18/2017 Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 4/18/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2018 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Feb 5, 2018 05:20PM denny123 wrote:

My friend who has ovarian cancer, told me about Inspire.com.  A lot of ovarian cancer survivors are on Lynparza, and their SE's are all different.

But none seem to be as bad as what I had on Poziotinib.

Chemo nurse returned my call and I have to wait until Friday to start on it, since my RBC levels are low.

Denise

Feb 5, 2018 08:12PM geekness wrote:

That's great to hear about the copay! This is not cheap medication for sure. As of tomorrow, I will have been on it for 3 weeks now. I'm triple negative stage 4 metastatic breast and trying to get shrinkage/eradication of sacral bone mets and soft tissue tumor that did not respond to Gemzar/Carbo treatment. If you don't mind, I'd love to message with you over the SEs and how we do on it?

I did hear from another lady that ovarian cancer years ago that tried it and it was just nice to hear I wasn't the only one feeling the way I was. I feel oogy starting end of last week, but there's no way I'm willing to give up on the medication quite yet if it will give me more time.

Chemotherapy 9/2/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Dx 8/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 3, 0/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Feb 5, 2018 08:22PM ShetlandPony wrote:

If you ask the moderators (via private message) to add the word “olaparib” to the topic line of this thread, maybe you will get more responses. Some people may not recognize “Lynparza “.

2011 Stage I ITCs sn, premenopausal, Oncotype 16. 2014 Stage IV mets breast,liver. TaxolNEAD. Ibrance+letrozole 2yrs. Fas+afinitor nope. XelodaNEAD 2yrs. Eribulin,Doxil nope. SUMMIT FaslodexHerceptinNeratinib for Her2mut NEAD 1 1/2yrs. GI/perit mets Dx 2011, ILC, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 1, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 2014, ILC, 2cm, Stage IV, metastasized to liver/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast Surgery Lumpectomy

Feb 9, 2018 06:42PM denny123 wrote:

Saw my onc today, and after waiting for 3 weeks to get approved for the ovarian cancer drug Lynparza (for my BC), he thinks it would be too hard on me.

He suggested Xeloda, and eventually Herceptin again.  Since I have been on Herceptin on and off for 11 years, I asked if I can both together and he approved.

Now I have to wait to get approval for Xeloda.  But the combo will be lot easier than the Lynparza, which can have some nasty side effects.

Mar 6, 2018 03:07PM denny123 wrote:

Update.  8 days of Poziotinib put me almost in remission!  I just had a lung scan that showed a tiny bit of cancer left in my upper left lung node.

It was previous 2cm x 3cm with an additional node in the hilar area.  The hilar node is now normal.

So the Poziotinib worked, but should be a much lower dose.

Mar 17, 2018 05:24PM Bahorwitz wrote:

I am BRCA2, with bone and liver mets, and have been on Lynparza since early October.  Outside of occasional reflux and bloating, I have had few side effects.  Feeling a bit odd and emotional is my normal state of affairs (LOL), so nothing seems out of the ordinary.  I have been taking Venlafaxine for years, so perhaps that has helped.  In January I had my quarterly bone and CT scan, and it appeared that nothing has changed in my bones and the lesions in my liver were reduced in size somewhat.  However, I recently had my first PT/CT Scan, with oral and intravenous contrast, and the liver lesions were reported to be a little larger than what was reported in Jan.  Not sure what this all means, and am waiting to hear from my Doc.  I am thrilled that there is a targeted therapy for BRCA folks, and hopefully it will work.  (Note:  I had been on IBRANCE, but my body..white cells.. could not tolerate it, despite the apparent success; and started with Xeloda which made me very very sick.  Hang in there... looking forward to see how you do with Olaparib.

Dx 12/2014, ILC, Right, 1cm, Stage IIB, 1/1 nodes, ER+/PR-, HER2-

Mar 18, 2018 08:57PM denny123 wrote:

Bahorwitz-- My onc decided not to put me on Lynparza since the Poziotinib really did a number on me.

Instead, I am on Xeloda and Herceptin.  I still have the bottle of Lynparza here and might go on it in the future.

Thanks for the reply!

Page 1 of 13 (125 results)

Scroll to top button