Topic: Lynparza/Olaparib Anyone?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Jan 31, 2018 10:18PM - edited Jan 31, 2018 10:19PM by geekness

Posted on: Jan 31, 2018 10:18PM - edited Jan 31, 2018 10:19PM by geekness

geekness wrote:

I'm looking to share side effects or just any updates on Lynparza / Olaparib. I just started targeted therapy on Jan 12th. Aside from a little heartburn at first (helped with OTC pill), I've now started some daily Immodium, which the pharmacy sent WITH the Lynparza. Lol. I've started to just feel plain odd and very emotional. I can usually keep it together. I'm wondering if anyone else is yet on this medication. I'm Brca1 Stage 4 (Triple Negative) with mets to lungs and sacrum/soft tissue. I was doing gemzar/Carbo until December, which was keeping three small modules in lungs stable, but not helping anything in sacrum. So we switched it up and both insurance and pharm are helping me with copays on the meds, which I know I am very lucky to have had happen. It seems I can't find a big group yet that's taking this drug to compare how they might be feeling and I'd love to try and connect with a few people. I think even that might help me get right in my brain for a bit.

Chemotherapy 9/1/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Dx 8/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 3, 0/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 11 of 13 (125 results)

Apr 21, 2022 08:04AM sondraf wrote:

Currently on 600 and felt absolutely fine (well, once I started taking the full dose!). This is about 3 or 4 weeks in to the 600.

Id been having indigestion troubles off and on with Ibrance but this is next level. The lansoprazole just got lost in the overall shuffle of everything in the last few months so I didn't think anything of it - it had been prescribed to go with the ibuprofen for pain management. I dont have the refill yet and called GP this morning to see if they had filled it but they can't find the actual prescription in my notes. *eye roll* At least that gives me tomorrow to get someone at the hospital to sort that out for me.

Its a bit better today, still points of uncomfortableness but hoping we are on the down slope here. Its utterly exhausting for sure!

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/28/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery 11/28/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Targeted Therapy 3/1/2022 Lynparza (olaparib)

Apr 24, 2022 02:44PM sondraf wrote:

So it seems as though I caught either one hell of a gastro bug or that plus the lynpqrza combined created havoc. Or it was the super new Covid variant but none of my lateral flow tests were positive so who knows. Enough ibuprofen, senna, simethicone, clarityn, warm water, and rest and I'm almost back on track. Nurse will be calling tomorrow and I feel I could probably go back on treatment tomorrow night or Tuesday.

Missed our trip but I'm so happy to feel better compared to Friday and last week I'm not that bothered. And I was able to have a few sips of very nice champagne at our friends party this afternoon which no chance on the drugs! It was good to get out but thr fatigue tonight is quite a bit!

"The closer we come to the negative, to death, the more we blossom" - Montgomery Clift Dx 9/27/2019, IDC, Right, 5cm, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/28/2019 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/28/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Surgery 11/28/2021 Lymph node removal (Right): Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy (Right) Targeted Therapy 3/1/2022 Lynparza (olaparib)

Jun 30, 2022 11:34PM sondraf wrote:

Resurrecting this for a quick question. I was wondering if any other ladies on this drug had issues with dairy? I didn't think I was lactose intolerant, but lately Ive noticed nausea and fatigue (ilke, I need to sleep right now fatigue) about two hours after lunch, and that is when the horrible mouth taste also starts up. I don't have milk at breakfast as I don't eat cereal, but I usually have a small amount of yoghurt or cheese at lunch. Yesterday I had veggie sushi for lunch and no problems.... until I ate a bit of yoghurt at 4pm.

I take my pills at 7am and 7pm and checked the studies - peak blood concentration is before that afternoon window where I had been having problems.

Guess Ill try avoiding dairy for a few days - almond milk in the coffee this morning - and see what happens.

Jul 1, 2022 06:05AM candy-678 wrote:

Sondra- I am a diary addict. I have milk every morning with breakfast-- cereal and a glass of milk to drink. And I LOVE cheese and think I eat quite a bit of it. I do have some nausea, but I was not attributing it to the dairy. My fatigue can be any time of the day, but I do take a 30-45 minute nap in the afternoons-- 2-3 hours after lunch. No mouth taste. I take my pills at 7a and 7p also.

Try avoiding dairy for a few days and report back here.

April 2021 first progression and flip ER-/PR+ now. Current treatment as of Sept 2021 is Lynparza, Lupron (been on since Nov 2017), and Xgeva (been on since Nov 2017). Dx 6/2017, ILC/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/2017, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2017 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2017 Dx 4/2021, ER-/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 9/1/2021 Lynparza (olaparib) Chemotherapy AC Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left)

Jul 5, 2022 07:11AM star2017 wrote:

I haven't noticed any obvious connection with dairy,. I love cheeses, but try not to have too much bc it immediately leads to weight gain for me. My most consistent dairy is milk in my tea and occasionally a slice of cheese in a sandwich. No obvious nausea, but Ive read from other people taking it that dairy can be a trigger.

CURRENT: Stage IV since 2020, bone mets to rt hip, sacrum, femur, all treated with radiation. Taking Lynparza daily. Dx 9/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/16/2017 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/28/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/17/2018 Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 5/21/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 10/24/2018 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 6/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 5/2021, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Verzenio Radiation Therapy External Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

Jul 18, 2022 09:21AM star2017 wrote:

I was off Lynparza for 12 days due to covid. After restarting some of those initial symptoms of fatigue and nausea are hitting again.its been a little over 2 weeks since I restarted. Hoping things ease up soon.

My doc has mentioned reducing my dose in the past bc of fatigue, but I'm too scared to. Next scan is this week.

CURRENT: Stage IV since 2020, bone mets to rt hip, sacrum, femur, all treated with radiation. Taking Lynparza daily. Dx 9/2017, DCIS/IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IIIA, Grade 3, 4/8 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 10/16/2017 Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy 11/28/2017 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 4/17/2018 Prophylactic mastectomy; Prophylactic mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left): Tissue Expander; Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Radiation Therapy 5/21/2018 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Surgery 10/24/2018 Reconstruction (Left): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy 6/18/2019 Arimidex (anastrozole) Dx 5/2021, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone, ER+/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy Verzenio Radiation Therapy External Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

Jul 18, 2022 09:49AM sondraf wrote:

Interesting star - have you otherwise had good bloods on it? Im concerned about Covid but as neutrophils are so so much better than they were on Ibrance, I think perhaps Ive gotten a little lax thinking I wouldn't necessarily have to take a break. I hope L is still working for you!

For me its definitely dairy that is the trigger. The other night we made crostini with chopped tomatoes, basil, and mozz pearls and ho man, I did NOT feel good that night. Had to run for the anit-sickness tablets and I just felt miserable and tired and heavy digestive system. That carried on into the next day too. I also need to watch how much I eat at dinner I've found as well - yesterday I just had some white rice and soy sauce and that was it and felt great this morning! I think there is possibly something going on with wheat so I may just need to adjust what I eat and when - veg and meat dinners are much more comfortable than anything with a wheat starch.

Aug 4, 2022 12:34AM sondraf wrote:

Thought I would post up my chat with the doctor about anti-viral and antibody treatments in here, for the future (and not to detract from what is going on in the main My Cancer.. thread at this time)

Finally caught the call from the hospital in charge of the paxlovid yesterday (different hospital and organisation to my main one, and NHS not private) - they confirmed paxlovid was not an option due to drug interaction with olaparib but could offer me "a three day drip of an hour for the first day and a half hour for each subsequent day so when did I want to come in". Now, no one uses drug names here which drives me insane - they speak to everyone like you are 5 years old and are ESL - so I don't know which drug they were offering on the drip. Maybe Remdesivir?

I then asked where this would be given and she told me at the hospital she was calling from. I had to ask where that was and its a long journey from home - at least an hour and two train changes each way - while Im at peak infection status AND feel not great. Ah NHS, never change. I raised that as an issue and all of a sudden there was a one-day, half hour drip available, which I think is Xevudy. I was feeling better by yesterday so I just said look, I need to call my oncologist about this and Ill get back to you. I never called MO because frankly I didn't want to deal with this when I was feeling better and better practically by the hour, and I didn't want to shove some more (somewhat) experimental drugs into my system and potentially upset the fine side effect balance I had finally found with Lynparza. Or what if I had an allergic reaction? Better to let it ride and get back on the cancer drug ASAP on Monday.

I suspect had my neutrophil count been consistently lower like it was on Ibrance, like hovering around the 1.5 level then perhaps it would have been a right call for the antivirals. But Im almost always close to 3 on Lynparza so the week off and letting the body do its thing naturally made sense in this case.

TLDR; paxlovid = no bueno for Lynparza, but there are other IV options available depending on your situation, so fret not!

Aug 4, 2022 06:07AM candy-678 wrote:

Thanks Sondra for your post. I have not gotten Covid,,, yet,,, and I am in the U.S. but I wondered what they might suggest if I do get sick with Covid. Probably not Paxlovid then. But maybe something else. Or just pausing the Lynparza and letting my body fight the virus. My White blood counts are low with Lynparza,, Not as low as with Ibrance, but still low. I just hope I do not get Covid, but I know I may at some point.

April 2021 first progression and flip ER-/PR+ now. Current treatment as of Sept 2021 is Lynparza, Lupron (been on since Nov 2017), and Xgeva (been on since Nov 2017). Dx 6/2017, ILC/IDC, Left, 3cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 9/2017, ILC/IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2017 Femara (letrozole) Targeted Therapy 11/1/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 11/1/2017 Dx 4/2021, ER-/PR+, HER2- Targeted Therapy 9/1/2021 Lynparza (olaparib) Chemotherapy AC Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left)

Aug 4, 2022 03:34PM star2017 wrote:

They didn't say there was a problem bw Lynparza and paxlovid. It was my blood thinner that's an issue. There is another antiviral called molnupiravir. It's another oral pill. I was off Lynparza for 12 days when I had covid. The molnupiravir really helped.

Page 11 of 13 (125 results)

Scroll to top button