Topic: Lynparza/Olaparib Anyone?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 12:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 12:19AM by geekness

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 12:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 12:19AM by geekness

geekness wrote:

I'm looking to share side effects or just any updates on Lynparza / Olaparib. I just started targeted therapy on Jan 12th. Aside from a little heartburn at first (helped with OTC pill), I've now started some daily Immodium, which the pharmacy sent WITH the Lynparza. Lol. I've started to just feel plain odd and very emotional. I can usually keep it together. I'm wondering if anyone else is yet on this medication. I'm Brca1 Stage 4 (Triple Negative) with mets to lungs and sacrum/soft tissue. I was doing gemzar/Carbo until December, which was keeping three small modules in lungs stable, but not helping anything in sacrum. So we switched it up and both insurance and pharm are helping me with copays on the meds, which I know I am very lucky to have had happen. It seems I can't find a big group yet that's taking this drug to compare how they might be feeling and I'd love to try and connect with a few people. I think even that might help me get right in my brain for a bit.

Chemotherapy 9/1/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Dx 8/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 3, 0/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 5 of 11 (105 results)

Dec 11, 2019 10:41PM hollyli1202 wrote:

vidiot - that is wonderful news!!

Dec 12, 2019 02:55PM Batfax wrote:

My wife is hopefully starting this soon (her 11th line of treatment) after irinotecan failed, so it's a bit of a hail mary. Her liver is in rough shape--we had a biliary catheter installed after her bilirubin climed to 10.7. Interestingly, she's BRCA negative, but her cancer cells do have the mutation, so we're hopeful it will have some effect.

Husband/Care-giver Dx 12/2012, IDC, Stage IIB, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 8/2015, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver Dx 12/2015, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy External: Brain Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Dec 21, 2019 08:50AM hollyli1202 wrote:

batfax - only good thoughts and prayers for your wife. I know researchers are starting to give this drug to more patients who aren’t necessarily BRCA+.

Jan 2, 2020 10:00AM Batfax wrote:

Holly, thanks. They Lynparza seems to be having some positive effect as it, combined with the biliary catheter have lowered her liver numbers and bilirubin. However, she's started to develop severe ascites that have really impacted her quality of life. She had four liters removed this morning and she's only 5'2" and less than 100 lbs.

Husband/Care-giver Dx 12/2012, IDC, Stage IIB, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 8/2015, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver Dx 12/2015, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Surgery Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Silicone implant; Reconstruction (right): Silicone implant Chemotherapy AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy External: Brain Radiation Therapy Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Chemotherapy Taxol (paclitaxel)

Jan 18, 2020 02:12PM hollyli1202 wrote:

batfax - how is your wife

Jan 19, 2020 08:46AM texaslaughter wrote:

I haven't posted but wanted to add to this thread that I recently started Lynparza about a month ago when first diagnosed with liver and bone mets. I am BRCA +1, TNBC. I didn't start out taking the drug right, I took half dose not realizing it was supposed to be 2 pills twice a day so technically I have only been on the full dose for 2 weeks. I had some nausea with it which is much better as long as I eat food. I had a bad reaction to a bone treatment and other meds when I first started taking it so I didn't know if I would be able to tolerate it. We ended up stopping most other meds and at that point I haven't had any issues. My WBC is low, which I was surprised by since I struggle with anemia I thought it would impact my RBC but it really hasn't. We took blood work 2 weeks in when I was on half dose and my tumor markers had risen 30%, by the time I came back when taking the full dose they had dropped back down 35%. The meds are working, I don't have the bone pain I had, but I do have some liver discomfort at times. There is not a lot of us out there on these meds for MBC so it's hard to get information. I hope these meds continue to work forever - they are so tolerable. I'm still struggling mentally with the diagnosis so I sometimes second guess it but I'm hopeful. Treatment has come a long way in such a short time. When I was first diagnosed 5 years ago I had really 1 option - chemo. And when that was done it was wait and see.

Feb 6, 2020 12:26AM - edited Feb 6, 2020 12:26AM by vidya99

I am BRCA1 +ve

In May/June 2018 CT scan showed local recurrence of my breast cancer. It showed two small tumors on chest wall and few lymph nodes were also swollen and active. MO has put me on Olaparib/Lynparza from mid July 2019. The 3 month scan in Oct 2019 showed NED, the tumors were gone and lymph nodes became silent.

The 6 month scan last week in Jan 2020 showed a hypervascular focus(1.2 cm by 0.8 cm) in a new site. Radiologist says it is non specific and further testing required by ultrasound and maybe biopsy. I am so worried and If it turns out to be another local recurrence I had to go for radiation.

Are there any other options for me instead of radiation? I am reading about cryoablation or HIFU research. Did anyone try other kind of treatments who is in a same boat as me.

Mar 3, 2020 11:38PM hollyli1202 wrote:

I have now officially surpassed the PFS median of 7 months for MBC-ers! My MO called today after my scans and said my CT looked good. Yay

Apr 26, 2020 08:53AM - edited Apr 26, 2020 08:55AM by texaslaughter

I wanted to give another quick update for Lynparza - my last scans in Feb showed anywhere from a 25% to 100% reduction in tumors with falling tumor markers. Most recent lab work show tumor markers are normal. Lynparza is my 1st line treatment and 6 months ago I was in a pretty bad place, but once I started taking it, I felt a change taking place. I'm hopeful that it will get me to NED, but I have a long way to go. I have been on the drug for ~4 months.

Jul 4, 2020 02:49PM arolsson wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new to this thread.

about 3.5 weeks ago my MO told me we were out of options and that my liver tumor now covers a third of my liver. So stay on Doxil which might slow things a little or stop everything and wait for a shorter goodbye. Then my Foundation One test showed a PALP2 mutation (hereditary, tho I do not have the BRCA 1 or 2 mutations) but this was enough to convince the tumor board to let me try lynparza. Fingers crossed! I hear it's rough, but so has all the other treatment been.No hand-foot syndrome, chronic diarrhea or hair loss sounds good to me! best to all, arolsson (Sweden)

Dx 8/2017, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, 5/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy Halaven (eribulin)

Page 5 of 11 (105 results)

Scroll to top button