Topic: Lynparza/Olaparib Anyone?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY — Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer ONLY. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage IV or Mets.

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 01:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 01:19AM by geekness

Posted on: Feb 1, 2018 01:18AM - edited Feb 1, 2018 01:19AM by geekness

geekness wrote:

I'm looking to share side effects or just any updates on Lynparza / Olaparib. I just started targeted therapy on Jan 12th. Aside from a little heartburn at first (helped with OTC pill), I've now started some daily Immodium, which the pharmacy sent WITH the Lynparza. Lol. I've started to just feel plain odd and very emotional. I can usually keep it together. I'm wondering if anyone else is yet on this medication. I'm Brca1 Stage 4 (Triple Negative) with mets to lungs and sacrum/soft tissue. I was doing gemzar/Carbo until December, which was keeping three small modules in lungs stable, but not helping anything in sacrum. So we switched it up and both insurance and pharm are helping me with copays on the meds, which I know I am very lucky to have had happen. It seems I can't find a big group yet that's taking this drug to compare how they might be feeling and I'd love to try and connect with a few people. I think even that might help me get right in my brain for a bit.

Chemotherapy 9/2/2015 AC + T (Taxotere) Dx 8/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, Grade 3, 0/15 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2-

Page 6 of 12 (116 results)

Jul 4, 2020 04:32PM - edited Jul 4, 2020 04:33PM by 3-16-2011

I was on lynparza briefly. No side effects at all. There is one other parp inhibitor available Talzenna. If lynparza is not effective.

Good luck to you.

Mary

3-16-2011 Dx 3/16/2011, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 2, 1/15 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Chemotherapy 5/3/2011 AC + T (Taxol) Surgery 10/18/2011 Prophylactic ovary removal Radiation Therapy 11/10/2011 Surgery 10/10/2012 Reconstruction (left): Free TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Free TRAM flap Dx 11/5/2014, Stage IV, ER+/PR+ Hormonal Therapy 1/1/2015 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 10/15/2015 Afinitor (everolimus)

Jul 22, 2020 12:08PM Sary wrote:

Hi there - I'm hoping for a bit of research assistance on the drug Olaparib. I had a liver biopsy sent to Foundation One and found out that I have a BRCA1 mutation. We believe it is a somatic mutation, but through communication with Foundation One and my MO, they have confirmed it is a functional mutation (not 100% sure what that means). My MO thinks this means that the drug will be effective. Questions: 1) Is there any research on this as all I keep reading is that this drug works for germline and not somatic mutations. 2) What is the connection with platinum-based chemos? Is this drug ever used in combination with chemo?

I realize this thread is not very active, but just thought I'd throw the question out there for those researchers who might stumble upon it. Thanks!

Age 38 at diagnosis, Oncotype 23 Dx 3/14/2014, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 5/16/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 11/2015, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs Dx 6/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver Dx 11/2018, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Targeted Therapy 6/1/2019 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 11/1/2019 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 1/29/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 2/2020, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole)

Aug 5, 2020 04:22AM arolsson wrote:

Hi Sary

There's lots of research available on the web. I'm no expert but have also recently started Olaparib. My understanding is that is generally used after a platinum based chemo or in combination with same but in my case we are trying it wtihout having used carboplatin. Here is one example of an article that may be useful:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1706450

After a first week of feeling pretty nauseous and tired I now feel great on Lynparza /Olaparib. Fingers crossed that it will have an effect!

Not sure if it matters if your mutation is inherited or not. Again, I'm no expert! Let us know how it goes for you!

Dx 8/2017, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, 5/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy Halaven (eribulin)

Aug 5, 2020 12:06PM Sary wrote:

Thank you for sharing your experience so far. I'm glad to hear that you are feeling ok now. I think I am starting on the weekend. I will be sure to post periodically as there don't seem to be many of us on this treatment. I haven't done carboplatin either, so we are in the same boat. Really, really hoping this is effective for both of us.

Age 38 at diagnosis, Oncotype 23 Dx 3/14/2014, IDC, Right, 2cm, Stage IIA, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 5/16/2014 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 11/2015, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs Dx 6/2018, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver Dx 11/2018, Stage IV, metastasized to bone Targeted Therapy 6/1/2019 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 11/1/2019 Xeloda (capecitabine) Chemotherapy 1/29/2020 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Dx 2/2020, Stage IV, metastasized to brain Targeted Therapy Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant), Femara (letrozole)

Aug 11, 2020 02:32AM arolsson wrote:

Hi Sary and others

Just a quick update, my blood tests show significant anemia (62, normal range is 117-157) but my tumor marker is cut in half. My MO was pretty excited. Getting 3 units of blood this morning which will hopefully help my fatigue.

Dx 8/2017, IDC, Right, 6cm+, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, 5/5 nodes, ER-/PR-, HER2- Surgery Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Lymph node removal (Right): Sentinel, Underarm/Axillary; Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Tissue Expander Chemotherapy Halaven (eribulin)

Sep 11, 2020 06:50PM hollyli1202 wrote:

Hello Ladies,

This has become an "active" thread.

Arolsson-that is terrific news that your tumor markers were cut in half. Bummer about the blood tests. Are you on the 150 or 100 tablets? How are you doing now? How is the fatigue?

Sary - how are you feeling? You've been on Lynparza for a month now.

I have been on Lynparza since June 2019. I had a tumor in my clavical shoulder/neck area. It also involved several lymph nodes. I was on Ibrance for three months and that did not do the trick - tumor got bigger and more lymph nodes were lighting up. Once I started Lynparza, I began to feel immediate relief. The lymph nodes I could feel were shrinking. I wasn't as tired. I was NEAD by my next scan in September. I am BRCA2+. I've only had A/C/T chemos when I was first diagnosed. The less chemo you have (platinum based), doctors say, the chances are better for Lynparza to help for a longer period of time. My MO was thinking about me doing Lynparza with immunotherapy, but after my scans, we decided against it.

Good luck, Ladies!

Sep 14, 2020 10:05AM arolsson wrote:

Hollyli-thanks! Very interesting to hear your story too. I am on 50 mg capsules, 16 a day (8x2). The good news is that I haven't had a blood transfusion in almost 2 weeks. I even went to the gym and am starting up with my weight lifting regime again now that the gym has very strict distancing and hygeine rules.

I watched some of the "fatigue superconference" last week. It was more oriented to folks with ME or chronic fatigue than with drug induced anemia but nevertheless useful. Interesting debate on whether or not exercise has clinical value or not. Best advice was from a doctor who said patients usually know what works best for them.

Scan sometime in october to see if the Lynparza is working. Anxious to know and yet would rather not know--you all know the feeling: )

Oct 15, 2020 09:03AM ashlyn wrote:

hoping to access Lynparza after brain met radiation next week. (Sadly just found out last week my MBC moved

I’d be getting it through this trial in December fingers crossed

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04123366

Olaporib plus immunotherapy

I would be the first one in Canada I think to join it.

I’m PALB2+ with huge deletion.

Nice to see others are managing on this drug. Holly I think we wrote in DMs before. Appreciated hearing your successes.

DX 28 - stage 2B ; DX 34 - stage 4 (lung, mediastinal nodes) DX: brain at 37 • 2018: PALB2+ Mutation A946_W1038del • RECQL VUS (A503V) likely patho Dx 1/3/2012, DCIS/IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IIB, Grade 3, 1/12 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 2/8/2012 Lymph node removal; Lymph node removal (Left); Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Left); Reconstruction (Left) Chemotherapy 4/3/2012 AC + T (Taxol) Radiation Therapy 9/10/2012 Whole breast: Breast, Lymph nodes Hormonal Therapy 11/2/2012 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Hormonal Therapy 5/20/2014 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/1/2014 Femara (letrozole) Hormonal Therapy 3/1/2016 Aromasin (exemestane) Dx 7/10/2017, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to lungs/other, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2- Hormonal Therapy 7/12/2017 Zoladex (goserelin) Hormonal Therapy 9/14/2017 Femara (letrozole) Radiation Therapy 9/21/2017 External: Lymph nodes Targeted Therapy 10/15/2017 Ibrance (palbociclib) Hormonal Therapy 11/13/2018 Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 11/1/2019 Verzenio Chemotherapy 4/17/2020 Xeloda (capecitabine) Dx 9/2020, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to brain, ER+ Radiation Therapy 10/23/2020 Radiation Therapy 11/3/2020 Immunotherapy 12/15/2020 Targeted Therapy 12/15/2020 Lynparza

Oct 30, 2020 12:35PM - edited Oct 30, 2020 01:08PM by maaaki

Hi, is lymparza working also on bone mets or is it better for soft tissue tumour? I have BRCA2 germlime mutation-probably pathogenic. And I progressed after year on Kisqali and faslodex in two vertebras. I am plannig SBRT and than systemic treatment, however I dont want to start chemo yet, so thinking about Olaparib. Thank you and I wish you great succes with this dru

Dx 2013, DCIS/IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage 0, Grade 3, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver, Grade 1, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery Mastectomy; Mastectomy (Right); Reconstruction (Right): Silicone implant Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone), Zoladex (goserelin) Chemotherapy Surgery Hormonal Therapy Aromasin (exemestane) Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Radiation Therapy External Targeted Therapy Kisqali Surgery Local Metastases Radiation therapy: Bone

Nov 23, 2020 07:16PM - edited Nov 23, 2020 07:17PM by vidiot

Checking in... So glad to hear that this is still working for you, Hollyli, and good luck to those that are just starting! Maaaki, I'm not sure about bone mets, but Lynparza has been successful in shrinking my liver mets, two of which are no longer visible. I'm BRCA2+ and have now been on for about 17 months. I've found it mostly very tolerable -- for most of this time the hardest part has been remembering to take the meds! After the first few months, I am even able to take it without food with no ill effects.

I did suddenly have a bout of severe anemia, with a few rounds of transfusions, about 7 months in. But we lowered the dose (from 150 X 4 to 100 X 4) and that resolved the issue with no loss of benefit until recently. Now one tumor seems to be progressing while the others are stable or shrinking, so I may change treatments. If so, I will be sad to say goodbye to this drug...

Page 6 of 12 (116 results)

Scroll to top button