We are 211,327 members in 82 forums discussing 151,425 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Progression on Adriamycin/Cytoxan

Forum: Stage IV and Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

A place for those managing the ups & downs of a Stage IV/metastatic breast cancer diagnosis. Please respect that this forum is for Stage IV members only. There is a separate forum For Family and Caregivers of People with a STAGE IV Diagnosis.

Posted on: May 24, 2018 12:54PM

Washingt wrote:

Hi All warriors! My mom has completed three rounds of AC and learned today it has nothing to kill the cancer-PET scan shows some progression. We haven't completed Foundation One testing so that's probably next. Her local oncologist wants to start Abraxane, but said starting another chemo may kick her out of being eligible for a clinical trial. We are thinking about going to Cleveland Clinic for treatment. Any others have any advice or been in a similar situation?

Log in to post a reply

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)

Posts 1 (1 total)

Log in to post a reply

May 24, 2018 11:48PM JFL wrote:

That is certainly the conundrum with timing and clinical trials - one usually needs to be at the stage of treatment failure to qualify for a trial but waiting around for the trial to process its paperwork/get a patient set up and rolling in the trail typically results in significant delay and time without treatment. Something to keep in mind and to ask the doctor about so that if your mom does go the trial route, she knows what to expect regarding treatment delay. I do research a lot of trials and have applied for a hand full but this issue is what has stopped me from biting the bullet so far - worry about treatment delay, given the aggressive, fast-growing nature of my BC. Has your mom already done other standard therapies aside from AC? One factor in weighing clinical trials is the availability of good alternatives. It may not be necessary to go to a trial at this point if there are a lot of good therapies out there that are already proven to be effective (like Abraxane). Good luck determining the next step for your mom.

Chart your own course. Dx at 30. Dx with mets at 38 while pregnant. Extensive liver and bone involvement. Currently on Doxil and XGeva. Recently had Y90 liver radioembolization. ER+/PR+, HER2 equivocal (IHC)/negative (FISH) as of 8/2017 liver biopsy. Dx 9/2006, IDC, Stage IIB, Grade 3, ER+/PR+, HER2- (FISH) Surgery 9/22/2006 Mastectomy: Left, Right Chemotherapy 11/5/2006 Adriamycin (doxorubicin), Cytoxan (cyclophosphamide), Taxotere (docetaxel) Hormonal Therapy 3/15/2007 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Dx 12/2014, IDC, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/other, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Surgery 12/26/2014 Prophylactic ovary removal Hormonal Therapy 12/26/2014 Aromasin (exemestane), Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy 6/18/2015 Ibrance (palbociclib) Chemotherapy 3/10/2016 Xeloda (capecitabine) Hormonal Therapy 5/13/2017 Aromasin (exemestane) Targeted Therapy 5/13/2017 Afinitor (everolimus) Chemotherapy 8/18/2017 Abraxane (albumin-bound or nab-paclitaxel) Chemotherapy 3/23/2018 Doxil (doxorubicin) Radiation Therapy 4/9/2018 Liver

Page 1 of 1 (1 results)