Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Coronavirus

Options
JACK5IE
JACK5IE Member Posts: 654

Is anyone else starting to worry about this especially because of our comprised immune systems?

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2020
    Options

absolutely. It's a legitimate concern.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

Oh, yes. Several confirmed cases in Canada have been through our airport, and one of them lives in Montreal. My husband traveled last month, and my older daughter is flying out later this month. My husband and 2 kids take public transit downtown. They all have hand sanitizer and wash their hands once home.

At my hospital last week I was asked if I had a fever or chills when I walked into the waiting area of the cancer centre. That's new.

• sondraf
    sondraf Member Posts: 1,579
    edited March 2020
    Options

Finding hand sanitizer is getting pretty tough in the City and I went to a few different shops today when I was out and about. I DID get packets of hankies at least :) but more because one had a cute panda and another had mermaids on them. You can never have too many!

I wash hands as soon as I get in the door, make Boy wash HIS hands, and then bleach down the door knobs and bits around the house. Ive got fingerless gloves for public transport to at least have some sort of a barrier as I still need to use handrails down stairs. But wherever I get where I am going - hand washing for 20 seconds.

Supposedly there was an outbreak at a cancer center here where people were receiving chemo treatments - one of the doctors testing positive.

I want to go on vacation so bad after being cooped up in the house for months and now I could get stuck in here for another few months if it really lets go :( And then you have people at work saying 'oh its just like the flu why worry' and you can't up and say 'because I have goddamn cancer and my immune system is shot'.

• dogmomrunner
    dogmomrunner Member Posts: 492
    edited March 2020
    Options

I am out of work (past two days) due to cold or flu with a low fever. Last week I went to a concert in a big city and then a dementia care seminar where the instructor kept insisting that all attendees practice the techniques shown (like holding hands or assisting our partner to sit in a chair, etc.).

I'd be lying if I said that the coronavirus didn't cross my mind when I woke up with a sore throat this weekend.

My WBC never rebounded after my chemo, which adds a bit of anxiety

And I wash my hands religiously- especially at work

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    edited March 2020
    Options

yes, I am not happy about having to visit a hospital every three weeks right now.

I saw a recipe for home made hand sanitizer— vodka, aloe, tea tree oil and lavender oil. You could replace the vodka with regular rubbing alcohol. Or just put alcohol in a spray bottle.

CVS and other stores sell alcohol and peroxide in spray bottles....I have always bought them even pre-chemo, to sanitize my counters, cutting boards, laundry, etc. They definitely can stand in for hand sanitizer

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,003
    edited March 2020
    Options

Jackie, thanks for starting the conversation on this topic. The coronavirus is going to affect us all in one way or another. The hysteria now is ramping up here in the U.S.even tho confirmed cases of death from the virus here are low. So who knows how off the charts things will get as the virus spreads and the death toll rises.

There is a lot of fuzzy information out there. Not everyone who gets the virus dies. But apparently the manner of how the virus is transmitted from one person to another is not quite known. I haven’t even heard how those with the virus are treated. Is nothing done, just allow the virus to run its course?

I also heard a vaccine would not, could not be available for at least 18 months.

Now there's a run on certain items at the store. One is bottled water. I’m not sure I understand why. Is our water source going to be compromised by the virus? I have filtered tap water and filtered water on my fridge. I’m not sure why I would need bottled water.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2020
    Options

DivineMrsM - the run on certain grocery items is in case you need to stay home during a quarantine period. We keep water on hand in our emergency supplies because we live in an earthquake zone but if you have potable tap or well water, that is not really necessary for this.

Most people who get the virus have a mild disease, like a bad cold or flu. They just need to self isolate and monitor symptoms. A certain percentage need hospitalization and some develop acute respiratory distress syndrome & require intubation and being put on a respirator while their lungs hopefully recover.

It is a respiratory virus so it's spread through small droplets from the mouth & nose when people cough or sneeze and the little viruses get on surfaces. They don't survive on surfaces for long but they can survive for a bit and if you touch it and then put your hand to your mouth, nose or eyes, you can contaminate yourself.

In the US the deaths are clustered in a nursing home but China's experience shows that the young are also vulnerable. There were reported deaths for ex among health care workers in their 20s and 30s. The worst affected seem to be middle aged men.

WHO announced just a few hours ago that globally the death rate is 3.4% That is significantly higher than seasonal flu (which is significantly less than 1%) and it is higher than the 1918 Spanish Flu.

Here is a good article on what the WHO reported today: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-coronavirus-different-than-influenza-can-be-contained/

& here is an article on who seems to get infected & of those, who develops more severe/fatal illness: https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/03/who-is-getting-sick-and-how-sick-a-breakdown-of-coronavirus-risk-by-demographic-factors/

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,168
    edited March 2020
    Options

We have 2 confirmed cases in the Tampa area, one came through Tampa airport. They are sanitizing there. I look at the recommended emergency supplies like a hurricane is coming. Food, meds, pet supplies. But I don’t go to crowde places, movies, concerts, anywhere there are large crowds of people anyway. The dog park and grocery is about it. I do worry about my DD, an elementary teacher in a school with a lot of kids who get sent sick anyway.

Guess the best advise I’ve seen is don’t listen to the Prez. listen to the CDC.

• SerenitySTAT
    SerenitySTAT Member Posts: 3,534
    edited March 2020
    Options

moth - Agree with all you wrote but this:

The SARS-CoV-2 virus can live on hard surfaces for up to 9 days ( https://www.journalofhospitalinfection.com/article/S0195-6701(20)30046-3/fulltext? ).

"Currently, the emergence of a novel human coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, has become a global health concern causing severe respiratory tract infections in humans. Human-to-human transmissions have been described with incubation times between 2-10 days, facilitating its spread via droplets, contaminated hands or surfaces. We therefore reviewed the literature on all available information about the persistence of human and veterinary coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces as well as inactivation strategies with biocidal agents used for chemical disinfection, e.g. in healthcare facilities. The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62–71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05–0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective. As no specific therapies are available for SARS-CoV-2, early containment and prevention of further spread will be crucial to stop the ongoing outbreak and to control this novel infectious thread."

Rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer are hard to find in stores now. We are low in rubbing alcohol, but we have lots of disinfecting wipes and sprays. I forgot to get travel tissue packs, but we can fill ziploc bags with regular tissues. Vodka is in the freezer for drinking and making vanilla extract only. ;)

We do have bottled water for emergencies (mainly unexpected or expected pipe work), but we are stocking a little extra food in case we have to isolate ourselves.

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,003
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks, moth, for the insightful post and the links, very informative.

I understand about the water now that you’ve explained how many people don’t always have a reliable water source depending on where they live. It was sort of short sighted of me, but in my defense, I’ve had a trying year already and am a bit wrapped up in my own little world; it’s uncharacteristically about all I can currently deal with. However, the coronavirus looms large and I’d like to be prepared to a certain degree until we know what kind of turn it’s going to take.

• JACK5IE
    edited March 2020
    Options

Stores, including online are running low on disinfectants, including hand sanitizer. When I checked Amazon I saw the prices are being gouged. I think that's disgraceful.

Stay safe everyone.

• finallyoverit
    finallyoverit Member Posts: 133
    edited March 2020
    Options

I agree with a lot of what has been mentioned. I will plan a little heavier grocery shopping trip this week. The other thing that I read somewhere was to have a few weeks/months (if you can) of medicines on hand. Thankfully, I’m pretty good at keeping a good supply of meds around.

I found hand sanitizer on the Office Depot website earlier today. I ordered 2 bottles (they had a limit of 4 per order), so if anyone is looking, you might want to try there.

I’m fortunate that I work from home so no concern there. If I need to run out to a store, I go early (typically as they open) to avoid crowds.

For me, the unknown is more concerning than the virus itself. There is so much we still don’t know. Until we do, my introverted self will have a great reason to hang at home.

Stay safe everyone

• RhosgobelRabbit
    RhosgobelRabbit Member Posts: 502
    edited March 2020
    Options

Jackie, I have been thinking about this. I guess what i've been doing is this: Keeping hand sanitizer on me, shopping early in the morning when less people will be around, having a glass of OJ in the morning (extra vitamin C to help boost the immune system) maybe that emergen-c stuff might be good for us too. It can be pretty treacherous in the winter where I am so always have extra supplies on hand (water and food). I heard recently bottled water and toilet paper are flying off the shelves. I grab a few extra things during weekly shopping but as best as I can trying to minimize extra stress...it really bites we have another thing to contend with.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,747
    edited March 2020
    Options

Heck, I teach first grade, I figured that even with stage IV bc, my immune system is pretty solid 😉. Seriously, we preach the hand washing/sanitizer mantra continuously at all times during the school year so this is nothing new, however elementary school hygiene leaves a lot to be desired.

Last week, a boy in my class announced that “If you get the virus, you die.” This touched off some minor hysteria, but I quickly quelled their anxiety. The boy’s mother admitted to telling her son that to frighten him into better hygiene habits 😱 Today, a student loudly announced in the lunch line that her mother, father and sister all had the corona virus. This was not true, but if we hadn’t nipped it in the bud there could have been some major anxiety inducing rumors burning through the school. Did I mention that virtually the same thing happened last week when another student announced his family had the corona virus? Of course, not true! And on a non-virus note, a boy in my class told his mother that a SWAT team had been called to our school and there was lots of action. No such thing ever happened 🤦🏻 .

All in all, I’m aware but not overly concerned.

• gailmary
    gailmary Member Posts: 426
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thought I'd share what was in my email this morning.

Subject: Protect yourself

Posted by Carolos.

Attributed to James Robb, a pathologist formerly at UC San Diego. I took some of my first classes in Virology from Dr Robb and this is a lengthy but worthwhile read. I would add that this was provided to me through one of several private groups of scientists, researchers, docs , etc that have organized to get accurate info out there. Squelching the updates from folks like Dr Fauci today is totally unacceptable. We have stepped into the age of govt controlled dispersement of knowledge.

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues,

as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:
    1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.
    Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.
    I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!

Jim
    James Robb, MD FCAP

• gailmary
    edited March 2020
    Options

I wondered if the Zicam tablets would help. Apparently so. They sure helped the last time my husband had a cold. I had a minor sore throat for half a day.

Take care everyone.

Gailmary

• mab60
    mab60 Member Posts: 365
    edited March 2020
    Options

Other than the obvious health related threat, I think the coronavirus could possibly have significant impact on the supply chain globally. China is a huge mfg of many things. By far the majority of prescription drugs come from China. When I was at cvs yesterday I asked the pharmacist if people were trying to order a little extra. He said yes but insurance carriers can stop you from doing that.

It could be something as simple as cardboard boxes. China again is the primary supplier of cardboard. So if a mfg in the states can’t get the cardboard to ship the toilet paper to Costco it causes an interruption of service.

My sister was at Walmart today. She said so many empty shelves. Not just the obvious thing like purell but things like boxes of pasta, powdered milk, protein bars, limited canned goods.

My Costco having trouble keeping toilet paper stocked.

Obviously people are stocking up out of fear of the unknown. We are so early in and people trying to prepare.

It is concerning

Mary Anne

• kanga_roo
    kanga_roo Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2020
    Options

I know this is a serious topic, but I just don’t get why people are stocking up on toilet paper!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,168
    edited March 2020
    Options

I don’t understand the TP stocking either.

Here, if there is a hurricane coming, I think we are allowed to get an extra 2 weeks worth of meds. The chances of going without power are really high, at least for a few days to weeks. This is not that situation. I use Walmart pharmacy, it has a drive through. Most pharmacies around here do. No need to go in, expose yourself to anything.

• JACK5IE
    edited March 2020
    Options

I guess people are stocking up on toilet paper because it's a necessity and in case this thing gets really bad it may be necessary not to leave the house.

• gailmary
    edited March 2020
    Options

re:TP

I hear in europe TP isn't so commonly used. We think it is cause its in public places and hotels. But not in homes. I was told they keep a supply of reusable rags nearby. Dont know if that's reliable. Dont remember who told me. Hmmmm.

• emac877
    emac877 Member Posts: 674
    edited March 2020
    Options

I'm keeping an eye on it only because I know my WBCs and ANC took a hit recently. At this point I'm concerned but not panicked.

• 7of9
    7of9 Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2020
    Options

No cases reported in Ohio yet but there have been the worst darn flu cases that Ive seen, heard of in years. Very suspicious that its not already everywhere. Well, no manicure for mommy as there isn't a nail polish on the planet that can hold up to the 2x daily clorox wipes, hourly hand sanitizer and all the extra washing I do. Seriously will pull kid out of all sports extra curriculum if it gets around the schools. Our entertainment will be in the park or our backyard! Will do quiet stock up on our benadryl, tylenol, vapo plug ons and some frozen, canned goods. Thinking the local farmers markets will be booming this year...at least hopeful! Please Lord we need an early soring!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited March 2020
    Options

I'm trying not to catch anything infectious, including Corona, as I'm on my way to see my brother who is on chemo. My precautions list in addition to hand-washing:

1. Ask your doctor about a flu shot (had my first-ever, It will help the healthcare system from breaking down if fewer people get the normal flu).

2. Get outside (better for your immune system and if you catch a few rays the UV could kill lurking germs).

3, Take Vitamin D (it moderates the anti-viral response through the vitamin D receptor).

4. Take Vitamin C with zinc (together or separately to boost immunity) unless you are on chemo.

5. Exercise (moderate physical activity increases natural kill cells which fight virally infected cells). I am avoiding the gym though for now.

6. Drink warm liquids often to wash down the germs in your mouth. Or suck on lozenges if you can't drink.

Kanga.roo, nice interior decor!

• arolsson
    arolsson Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2020
    Options

Ummmm, whaat?

Have never been to a European country where homes don't use toilet paper. Including my own in Sweden.

Stay safe and warmest wishes!

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2020
    Options

gailmary,

I have stayed with many friends in various European countries over the years. All of them use toilet paper. Your source of information appears to be incorrect or at the very least, dated.

7of9, What will an early spring do ? Warmer weather will keep people indoors less but won’t stop a virus

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 649
    edited March 2020
    Options

Anyone notice there are no reports coming from the Southern Hemisphere which has been in the summer season going into fall? Maybe summer will be helpful limiting the virus.

I am concerned about our dx and treatment leading us to be at risk for a more severe response to the virus.

• kanga_roo
    kanga_roo Member Posts: 302
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Goldens,

Living in Australia I can assure you we are having an increase in diagnosed cases. Our right wing nut job government, like Trump tried to downplay the seriousness, but it is affecting our lives on a huge scale. For some reason, they decided to let exchange students (many from China and Japan) back into the country without quarantine. As a result it has spread faster than it should have, and a side affect has been increased racism toward those of Asian decent. “The nothing to see here” approach by the government continues but isn’t working.

People panic buying toilet paper, face masks, hand wash etc. Our stock market has taken a dive and we are looking at going into recession as consumer confidence flattens. Nurses and health care workers are refusing to go to work where outbreaks have occurred. Schools are closing, and large social gatherings are being discouraged.

Our flu season usually starts around Easter, but already we are seeing a surge in cases due to our bizarre weather conditions (drought one day, floods the next). Flu shots will not be available here till mid April.

For those at risk it seems like a waiting game, withdrawing socially where possible, and trying to protect yourself as best you can. I really hope someone comes up with solution soon!

The only good point? We have a decent medical system that covers ALL Australians, so testing, immunisation, hospitalisation etc is low cost or free for those affected.

Keep safe everyone!

Jackie

• exbrnxgrl
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thanks for the update from your lovely country. Sounds like you are experiencing what so many other places are.

Golden,
    The only benefit I can see in terms of the virus and weather is that people tend to be outdoors more in warmer weather and not in closed, indoor locations. Still, there are questions about modes of transmission and how long the virus can survive outside of a host.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    edited March 2020
    Options

Yes! I live in the greater Seattle area. I sell real estate, and had to be on the ferry to Seattle last Friday, Sunday and Monday. As I drove onto the ferry, I decided to stay in my car. I went to the house to show it (and had the inspection on Sunday) and only went to this one house and came back. It's a surreal feeling to have most things "business as usual" but the City of Seattle has bought a motel to house people who need to be quarantined and we have twice a day press conferences about all the planning which is pretty intense (and I am thankful they are planning). And, yes - there is no TP, bleach, dried pasta, hand sanitzer or bananas at our grocery and big box stores!

This week many large companies in Seattle asked employees to work from home which seems like a good idea. I am trying to do the same. Add this to my scanxiety for my upcoming petscan (1st one after starting my stage 4 treatment) and I am thinking of taking ativan tonight to sleep better.