Join Us

We are 220,442 members in 84 forums discussing 161,933 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

Topic: Anyone else have scans this week?

Forum: Stage IV/Metastatic Breast Cancer ONLY —

Please respect that this forum is for members with stage IV/metastatic breast cancer only. There is a separate forum for caregivers and friends: Caring for Someone with Stage 4 or Mets.

Metastatic breast cancer (MBC; also called stage IV) is breast cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, most commonly the bones, liver, brain, or lungs. Metastatic breast cancer can be treated but not cured. Metastatic disease is NOT hopeless. There are a wide variety of treatment options for metastatic breast cancer, and new medicines are being tested every day. More and more people are living life to the fullest while being treated for metastatic breast cancer.

Note: Please contact your doctor for any specific concerns about symptoms you are experiencing or your course of treatment.

Learn more about living with MBC.

Intro medically reviewed by: Brian Wojciechowski, M.D.
Last review date: November 22, 2020

Posted on: Dec 1, 2020 09:49AM

finallyoverit wrote:

Scanxiety has set in for me.. I’m staying well hydrated in hopes that they can get the IV in with little trouble. Last time I was stuck 4 times and was close to tears.

It’s such a weird feeling.. on one hand, I’d love confirmation that all is well, but I’m terrified of finding progression. I’ve done well on Ibrance/Femara, but as we all know, the other shoe could drop at any point.

Ugh.. nervous and just want it over. <sigh>

Wishing anyone else facing scans this week, peace and an “all stable”.

Dx 10/2011, IDC, Stage IIA, 0/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 5/2017, Stage IV, metastasized to bone

Page 2 of 2 (33 results)

Posts 31 - 33 (33 total)

Dec 10, 2020 05:38PM BevJen wrote:

Lehrski,

Oh, I misunderstood -- think I focused on the fact that you said your were Canadian and a US resident -- I missed the insurance part.

You could ask your HR department how your can access the information booklet for your insurance -- you are right -- that is generally a good insurance. Sometimes, if you work for a big company, they are "self insured" and the insurance company is really only a functionary -- so that the company is really setting the parameters for the insurance, and the insurance co. does the claim processing, etc. That could be what is going on.

Microwave Ablations of the Liver: 7/2019; 10/2020; 12/2020 Dx 11/2003, ILC, Left, Stage IIIC, 13/18 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2- Dx 6/2006, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to other, ER+, HER2- Dx 5/2019, ILC, Stage IV, metastasized to liver, ER+/PR+, HER2- Surgery 7/5/2019 Targeted Therapy 7/31/2019 Ibrance (palbociclib) Immunotherapy Radiation Therapy Surgery Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Chemotherapy TAC Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Hormonal Therapy Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Surgery Lymph node removal; Mastectomy; Reconstruction (left): Pedicled TRAM flap; Reconstruction (right): Pedicled TRAM flap Hormonal Therapy Femara (letrozole)

Dec 10, 2020 08:27PM nopink2019 wrote:

lehrski, you said you are not very familar with ins. Could it be that you haven't met your deductible? My MO has me do detailed bloodwork each month even though I only see her about every other. But those trends can be a good indicator of when more scans might be necessary and helpful for treatment decisions.

Dx 2008, IDC, Stage IA, Grade 3, ER+/PR-, HER2- Dx 2019, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/liver/lungs, ER+/PR-, HER2- Hormonal Therapy Faslodex (fulvestrant) Targeted Therapy Kisqali

Dec 11, 2020 02:51AM lehrski wrote:

I work for the state of CA so it’s a huge insured group and likely have their own rules. Unfortunately, the preauthorization was denied. My oncologist then submitted an appeal that was denied. Finally, he asked for a “peer to peer review” with the insurance company. My oncologist said he spent about 45 minutes arguing my case, but it was denied again. I’m impressed by my oncologist’s tenacity but the insurance company won. The only way I can get a scan is by paying cash and not using my insurance at all. The worst part of it is that cash rates are much more expensive than what insurance companies pay.

I am doing both CA 15-3 and CA 27-29 tumor marker bloodwork each month They have both dropped into the normal range. While they’re somewhat unreliable, for now I things are good and I might wait a bit before paying again for a scan

Dx 7/24/2020, IDC, Left, Stage IV, metastasized to bone/lungs, ER+/PR-, HER2- Targeted Therapy 8/1/2020 Verzenio Hormonal Therapy Arimidex (anastrozole)

Page 2 of 2 (33 results)