Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Has anyone here with mbc/stage iv had Covid?

Options
divinemrsm
divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,003

I'm going for a test this morning (Monday). On Saturday, I had chills and started coughing, then Sunday started running a fever. I don't really feel bad. I've really been good about not being around people, hand washing, mask wearing, ect., but the symptoms are enough to make me want the test. Results come back in about 2 days.

I'd like to know how you dealt with Covid if you had it. Did you take anything for general symptoms? If you had a cough, was there something you took for it, did you avoid any foods, how you self isolated in a house with others, how long did it last, ect.

Thanks!

Comments

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

I haven't. just wanted to say I'm hoping your test comes back negative!

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    Options

Divine, I have not had Covid either, but I want to let you know that I am thinking of you. I hope that the test results are negative and that you feel completely better very soon.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    Options

Fingers crossed for you, Divine.

Tina

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

Hi Divine,

I haven't had COVID either (low probability given that I have been living like a hermit!) but also wanted to reach out to let you know that I am thinking of you. Hoping that it's nothing more than a mild seasonal bug.

Hugs! Pat

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,734
    Options

Divine, I have not, but my sister and two BILs have- in their cases, the primary early symptoms were fatigue, mild headache, and some loss of taste/smell. One had a fever but that developed more than a week in- the fatigue was crushing. My sister did get a "dry cough" but it wasn't a big part of her issues- one BIL is a PA who works with the local fire dept on emergency runs, and they had picked up a late-stage Covid patient in their ambulance the week before, and he died, so his case was surely exposure to a higher viral load than the others. He had trouble breathing and his chest Xray showed those glassy inclusions in the lung considered diagnostic of Covid.

Hope it turns out to be mild and short-lived, whatever it is!!!

• bestbird
    bestbird Member Posts: 232
    Options

Divine, hoping your symptoms turn out to be something else. Sending you good wishes!

• 50sgirl
    Options

Divine, I am hoping that you are feeling better and that you either have the results of the Covid test or receive them soon. I am sending you a virtual hug.

Lynn

• divinemrsm
    Options

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. The test came back positive for covid. :(

I’m not surprised. I continue to run a fever and take Tylenol ever 4-6 hours (allergic to aspirin and ibuprofen). I have mild nausea. I have an on and off cough. I am taking Zyrtec which seems to help it.Did not lose sense of smell or taste but have little appetite. I don’t feel overwhelmingly fatigued, just mildly tired. No shortness of breath.

While the symptoms aren’t too bad at this time, I’ve read that even after a week, it can turn from mild to worse, so that’s my concern. My pcp’s office is closed for the day, I will call tomorrow to see if they have any recommendations.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have a SpO2 monitor? They're not expensive and a good way of monitoring your lung function. Many people with covid do not realize how low their sats get & it's often used as a criteria for hospital admission.

I hope your symptoms improve rather than worsen!

• 50sgirl
    Options

Oh Divine, I am sorry to hear that you have Covid. It must be frustrating since you were so careful. Has your DH tested positive, too? Please rest and continue to take care of yourself. Eat what you can. Drink plenty of fluids. Keep up with whatever medication helps relieve the symptoms. I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• divinemrsm
    Options

moth, thanks! I ordered a pulse oximeter which should arrive tomorrow, it only cost $20 on Amazon Prime. I will be glad to have that as a tool to monitor the situation.

• divinemrsm
    Options

50sgirl, you’re right, it’s quite frustrating as I’ve been so careful for almost a year now. Yet there are people who blatantly go about not taking amy precautions and never get sick.

Dh went this morning for a test. He should have results in two days. He called his boss about me having Covid and was instructed to take two weeks off. His boss, a man in his 50s, was hospitalized 10 days with Covid in December!
  • cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,734
    Options

Divine, Most importantly take aspirin in order to prevent blood clots from forming, that virus loves to throw some blood clots in the lungs if it can get in there. The active ingredient in the indigestion drug Pepcid AC has been shown to block virus entry and may help early in infection- the head of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory credited that drug with getting his sister out of the hospital early. Hope your case is mild and the fever breaks soon!

• divinemrsm
    Options

Cureious, I’m allergic to aspirin but have Pepcid so will consider taking it. Thanks!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

Darn, I’m sorry DivineMrsM. Are you keeping to your own room and bathroom until DH has test results?

• divinemrsm
    Options

Yes, Shetland. My cat feels a bit displaced with me in “her” family room, but she'll have to get over it!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    Options

I hope your DH will be a good cook and bring meals to your door. By the way, I have a relative whose flatmate tested positive, but my relative has tested negative three times. So let’s hope your DH tests negative.

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 963
    Options

Divine-I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope that you have a very mild case. I will be praying for your recovery.

• karpc
    karpc Member Posts: 192
    Options

Divine - Sorry you got COVID. I hope you feel better soon and it's only a mild case. I just had it. I first got symptoms about 16 days ago. I thought I had a minor cold. 5 days into it, I got a fever - 101-103 range. My oxygen saturation which is normally at 99 went down to 93. I did not go to the hospital even though I considered it. I had the fever and low oxygen saturation for 4 days. I am back to my normal schedule now except that I am very tired and stuffed up. I am glad you ordered the oximeter. I think it's very important to monitor your oxygen saturation. Amazon prime said it would take 3-4 days for it to arrive and all the stores were out when I needed it. I was lucky to get one from a friend. I would suggest that everyone has one on hand. BTW, we have no idea how I got COVID. No one I was around during the holidays got it. I suspect I got it in the waiting room at the cancer center. ~Kar

• divinemrsm
    Options

Kar, thank you so much for your first hand account of having covid. I greatly appreciate the insight of what you experienced. I’m sorry you got it and am glad you’ve recovered! That offers me a bit of reassurance that I can weather it, too.

• karpc
    karpc Member Posts: 192
    Options

Divine, I will be thinking of you! You are on Xeloda (is that right?). I know that we all have compromised immune systems, but some drugs are harder on our immune system than others. I know with Xeloda, I had good energy and my white blood cells were not too low. You body and immune system may be stronger than you think! :) Also, when I was diagnosed with COVID, my oncologist had me stop my current treatment (everolimus) until my symptoms improved. I was going to do this on my own anyway. I pumped in my system as many supplements as I could...aspirin & Pepcid AC as Curious mentioned along with Quercetin, vitamin C and a few other things. ~Kar

• sadiesservant
    Options

Oh Divine! I’m so sorry about this news. You’ve received excellent advice (noted as if you can get it...) so won’t add to that list. Take good care of yourself and hope you kick it very quickly.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Divine..thinking of you.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    Options

Oh gosh, Divine. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. You've gotten great advice already so I won't double up, but just know that I'm thinking of you and anxiously awaiting news that you are past it.

• jensgotthis
    jensgotthis Member Posts: 671
    Options

Divine, I tested positive for COVID on January 5. I was able to get the monoclonal antibodies treatment around day 6 and it has made a huge difference. It's worth asking your oncologist or PCP about but it only helps if you get it before day 10 of symptoms. There's no real downside and it can keep it from becoming a severe case that lands you in the hospital.

Here are the other recommendations I got to treat at home:

Pulse oximeter- if you start getting readings around 92% it's time to get ready for the ER

Vit C and D, zinc

Tylenol for fever and the low back pain many people get

Saline rinse for the nose congestion

Lots of rest and liquids - have some electrolyte drinks ready in case you need them

I lost taste and smell and they haven’t returned yet (probably because aim also still very congested)

My son had vomiting and diarrhea. My tummy was just a little more sensitive

There were a couple of days when I probably slept at least 18 hours

I’m already on blood thinners and second taking aspirin or Pepcid. Having cancer, being female, and being over age 40 increases risks for blood clots anyway so preventive meds could help

i hope you have a mild case. I have no idea how we got it - I’ve left my house maybe only a dozen times since March of last yea

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    Options

Divine,

I'm sorry. I hope your case is mild, and that you have lots of comforting food, beverages, books and movies at hand.

Fingers crossed that your husband is spared so he can wait on you!

Tina

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    Options

Healing thoughts for you.

• 50sgirl
    Options

Divine, I am still thinking of you and wishing you mild symptoms and a quick recovery. If I remember correctly, your dh should receive his test result today. I hope it is negative and that he doesn’t get sick. I know it really stinks to have Covid on top of cancer. It seems so unfair. Enough is enough!Do you have any good books to read or do you even feel like reading or binge watching something on tv? I wish I could help in some way. (((Hugs)))

Lynne

• sadiesservant
    Options

Hi Divine,

I have also been thinking about you. I hope the symptoms have subsided and things will get back to normal for you soon. Sending a virtual hug from Canada!

• moissy
    moissy Member Posts: 371
    Options

Divine - I'm sorry you are having to deal with Covid; Wanted to second Jen's suggestion that you inquire about monoclonal antibody treatment. It is now available in more locations. I have a friend who is in treatment for lymphoma and had low blood counts due to her treatrment. She and husband both developed COVID and were able to get the antibody infusion. Both had mild to moderate symptoms and she had a significant improvement following the antibody infusion. Her husband recovered also but took longer. It does have to be given within 10 days of onset of symptoms. Hope you are clear soon! Sending best wishes.