Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Me Too: A Decade Living With Mbc

divinemrsm
divinemrsm Member Posts: 5,973

In the past few months, it's been amazing to see a number of women on this forum post that they've been living with metastatic breast cancer for 10, 12, 14......even 19 years and still going! I wanted to also go on record to say that this past December, 2020, marked 10 years for me, stage iv from the start.

Ten years and so much has happened over that time. I've gone through many phases since the diagnosis. Like many of us, during the first few years, I did a lot of traveling and doing things I hadn't gotten around to. I I took care of some end-of-life matters to make things easier on my loved ones when that time comes. It initially felt odd and awkward but turned out to be quite a relief to address some issues and move on. I also simplified my life, decluttered my house, had a big garage sale, ect.

But the past few years, I've experienced more personal growth. My default is still to always take care of others' wants and needs before my own. It is a continuous effort on my part to remember to ask myself what I want and/or need because I've been so conditioned all my life to put myself last. I also still work on setting boundaries with others. I can be such a push-over, and I'm learning to stand my ground.

I look forward to getting past the pandemic to be able to move about more freely and live more fully. It's been frustrating to be so confined.

Even when living with mbc, there is still so much “regular" everyday life to contend with. Right after Thanksgiving, I had to rush my husband to the ER, where he had surgery for a burst appendix and was hospitalized for several days. This month, he and I are recovering from covid. The new dishwasher we bought 4 months ago has malfunctioned twice and we are having difficulty getting Bosch to take care of it.

It's always something. Yet I remain beyond grateful to still be here

Comments

• tina2
    tina2 Member Posts: 757
    edited January 2021

We're beyond grateful for you, Divine. You are a steady, shining light on this forum!

Tina

• 50sgirl
    50sgirl Member Posts: 2,071
    edited January 2021

Divine,

WOOHOO for 10 years. I love reading news such as this. You certainly have had challenges recently, and it is good to know that you have faced them and made it through. This is a time like no other, and mbc just adds to the mix.

It is always nice to hear from you, and this post is especially welcome. You have put a smile on my face.

Here’s to 10 more years for you!

Hugs and prayers from, Lynne

• chicagoan
    chicagoan Member Posts: 957
    edited January 2021

Divine,

Happy to celebrate this milestone with you. Life does go on after Stage 4. I really appreciate your posts and insights. Here's to many more years of life.

• BevJen
    BevJen Member Posts: 2,341
    edited January 2021

Divine,

Woo hoo. You deserve to celebrate. Here's to many more good years.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 750
    edited January 2021

Divine, thank you for posting and congratulations on 10 years! I, too have appreciated yours posts and insights. I am sorry to hear that you and your husband came down with Covid. Sounds like you are recovering, which is good news. Cheers to you for many more years to come!

• meja
    meja Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2021

Divine,

Thank you for sharing and congratulations 🎉, here's to many, many more years !

You are such an asset to this forum; I have read many of your posts, that hold so much insight - thank you.

Great to hear you and your husband are recovering well from covid.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited January 2021

Divine, I am grateful for all of your insights through the years. I always felt if you were my neighbor in the real world, we would be fabulous friends!

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited January 2021

Devine- I agree with the others. I would never have thought that you struggled so much to put yourself first since your posts all seem so wise. I am so glad that you can share these insights - they free me from these struggles also. They don't feel like weaknesses when you say them- they feel like reality- and empowering.

I love hearing about 10 year anniversaries.

Cheers

• Nel
    Nel Member Posts: 597
    edited January 2021

MrsDivine,

Congrats on 10 years I am almost 10 years (Sept 2021) with IBC, 8 years of that with MBC and continue to do relatively well

Like you adjustments along the way, life continues to go on around us and with us, MBC or not. I feel like the pandemic has stolen some of whatever time I have in front of me.

Thank you for your always wise and gentle words.

Nel

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,690
    edited January 2021

Gratitude, yes! Congratulations and I agree that it is wonderful to see more of us surviving longer. Here’s to many more years

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,551
    edited January 2021

Big congrats Divine 🎉

• cure-ious
    cure-ious Member Posts: 2,717
    edited January 2021

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 184
    edited January 2021

Me too! It's been over 12 years that i was diagnosed Stage 4 from the start. I'm still getting treatment. I remember some of you guys from years ago. Divine, XBRNXGRL and Tina2. I want to say let's keep up the good work, but I don't know what that is.

• ninetwelve
    ninetwelve Member Posts: 328
    edited January 2021

Cheers on getting to the 10 year mark, Ms Divine! I remember when I first arrived here six years ago, you were one of the voices of wisdom whose posts were full of reassurance and valuable information. Long may that voice ring out, and may your COVID-19 bout be brief and easy!

• jobur
    jobur Member Posts: 493
    edited January 2021

Divine, I am so happy to celebrate this milestone with you! I can only repeat what others have said, you are a blessing to this forum and a testament for how life can still be good even though we struggle with mbc. And you are so right (as usual) about "regular life" still providing irritations and challenges both large and small.

I hope you and your dh are almost over the corona virus and are able to celebrate this milestone in some special way.

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited January 2021

Congratulations Divine. As others have noted, your posts are always thoughtful and wise. I look forward to seeing you post for many more years!

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    edited January 2021

Congratulations on reaching this milestone! I also value your insights and comments on this forum, wish you many more good years and more milestones.

Sorry you and your family have been hit with COVID , wishing you a very quick recovery from it.

• anotherone
    anotherone Member Posts: 542
    edited January 2021

hi divine

Congratulations- I know you do not see jn it any personal merit but the very fact of your existence is a huge reassurance in the middle of the end of world turmoil of initial diagnosis for many women I bet. Life goes on- wishing you a beautiful and a long one.

• simone60
    simone60 Member Posts: 952
    edited January 2021

Congrats Divine! Wishing you many more years.

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited January 2021

Divine, congrats on the double digit milestone! Huge accomplishment.

• piggy99
    piggy99 Member Posts: 183
    edited January 2021

Congratulations, Divine! I greatly enjoy reading your posts and your wise insights, and hope you will be around for many more decades.

• Bliss58
    Bliss58 Member Posts: 938
    edited February 2021

Divine, Celebrating your 10-yr. MBC milestone with you. Looking forward to your next 10! Congratulations.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    edited February 2021

Divine, I'm just now seeing this post and I am hopping in line to give you a big high five and a virtual bear hug. I'm just a couple months ahead of you at Stage IV and so I'm thankful you are still here riding the struggle bus alongside us all.

• bright55
    bright55 Member Posts: 146
    edited February 2021

super congratulations Devine on your strength and endurance

Thankyo u for the inspiring posts

Its great to read the I nput of others who are also achieving this milestone

All the best

Bright in hope

• bright55
    bright55 Member Posts: 146
    edited February 2021

Heartsuper congrats my dear Devine...thankyou for your inspiring posts

Woo hoo to others in posts

All the best with therapy everyone

Bright in hope

• shar2020
    shar2020 Member Posts: 196
    edited March 2021

Divine, congratulations! Also, I hope you and your husband have recovered from COVID 19 by now.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited March 2021

Woot woot!!! Wishing you the best post-decade time, Divine!

• goldensrbest
    goldensrbest Member Posts: 639
    edited March 2021

Divine - CONGRATS! You give us much hope

• SusanR
    SusanR Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2021

Congrats Divine! I’ve been on and off this site over the past years and just checked in again today! It’s been a while since I’ve been onbut my status just changed so needed info. I’m 12 years with bone Mets this past December. So happy to see so many of us still here!

• BlueGirlRedState
    BlueGirlRedState Member Posts: 900
    edited March 2021

Divine and SusanR - what are you doing/taking to ke?ep the beast at bay