Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

How About A Stage 4 Gallows Humor Thread?

Options
amontro
amontro Member Posts: 184

There used to be a gallows humor thread many years ago on this web site. I can't find it.

There are many times I still rely on gallows humor in order to cope with my situation. I think my family appreciates it too. I have forgotten so many good zingers during all this time, but I'll start with some tee shirts I bought over the years:

1. A neon yellow tee with the black "Radiation Hazard" symbol. No words.

2. I just got one that floors everyone - "If I'm ever on life support, unplug me, then plug me back in. See if that works."

3. "Armageddon was yesterday. Today we have a serious problem."

4. "It's funny how you think I'm listening." I guess this one is generic.

Come on I know you want to giggle. We can get serious at Mondays MBC Zoom.

Love,

Anna

Comments

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    Options

Love this, I have a cartoon of the grim reaper saying guess who, it's very funny very gallows humour but I can't link it for some reason.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    Options

Here’s a chuckle

• parakeetsrule
    parakeetsrule Member Posts: 605
    Options

Hahaha, the unplug/plug back in one. 😆

• parakeetsrule
    Options

Hahaha, the unplug/plug back in one. 😆

• kbl
    kbl Member Posts: 2,688
    Options

Anna, great idea. We could definitely use some laughter. I also love the unplug and plug back in one.

Mae, Lol

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    Options

Friday was my Faslodex shot day. I got in the car to go up there and got my phone plugged in to listen to my Playlist. I swear. "Staying Alive" started playing....I literally put my head back and cackled at the irony. 🤣😂

It was much needed comic relief that morning.

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    Options

Friday was my Faslodex shot day. I got in the car to go up there and got my phone plugged in to listen to my Playlist. I swear. "Staying Alive" started playing....I literally put my head back and cackled at the irony. 🤣😂

It was much needed comic relief that morning.

• olma61
    olma61 Member Posts: 1,016
    Options

not sure how many will be familiar with the “This girl runs on....” genre of tshirts and other merch.

Here’s some examples:

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=this%20girl%20runs%20on

But based on that, I made myself a water bottle that says “ This girl runs on Herceptin and Perjeta”.

• Kikomoon
    Kikomoon Member Posts: 358
    Options

Tangandchris - 😂😂 I actually have a treatment/ scans playlist and on it is Frank Stallone’s Far From Over, which is from the “Staying Alive” movie soundtrack. This movie was the sequel to Saturday Night Fever, and Frank Stallone is Sylvester Stallone’s brother. Very 80’s and I love it! My taxol treatment theme song was “Gloria” by Laura Branigan. I don’t know why.

I’m down with the gallows humor. I cry enough, I’d rather be laughing. Sometimes it alternates between the two very quickly.

• sunnidays
    Options

• sunnidays
    Options

I found the image and I love it because the woman in the cartoon look a bit like me and I am often found sitting reading a book.

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,766
    Options

Humor, gallows or otherwise is always a great stress reliever. Years ago, right after my dx, I returned to work after a few months medical leave. There was a month by month birthday list of all staff members posted in the staff lounge. My name had been accidentally left off so I grabbed a marker and added it. I also added “Not dead yet!” In parentheses. Another staff member get terribly upset and erased it even after I explained that I, the person with mbc, wrote it. She kept talking about the fact that it was in very poor taste. I told her that it was my terminal dx and I had every right to deal with it in my own way. She looked at me as if I was insane. I just shrugged.

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

you all know about the "I'm not Dead Yet" cakes? Many people get a personalized cake with that message on their cancerversaries.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

moth, I’ve never heard of that but I love it! Even before I was dx’ed, I had no problem speaking about death as I understood that it visits all of us. Of course, no one wants it to come too soon but come it will. In first grade, we teach about the life cycle of animals and plants. Humans are subject to that very same life cycle and I am not afraid of death, only suffering. In Judaism we often speak of life cycle events so though sad for survivors, we understand it’s part of that cycle.My mom was so incredibly afraid of death that she could hardly say the word. I guess I went in the complete opposite direction.

• katyblu
    katyblu Member Posts: 214
    Options

I’ve always had a very dark sense of humor and it’s definitely helped me deal with this dx. I’ll have to think of some things to add here. We all definitely need more laughs

• amontro
    amontro Member Posts: 184
    Options

I remembered at yesterday MBC Zoom meeting that I ordered a life planner from amazon called:

"S**t You'll Need To Know When I'm Gone".

It actually serves a purpose because I've entered the addresses and email addresses of those I'd like to be notified.

exbrnxgrl and moth - I love the "Not Dead Yet" theme. My birthday is coming - hmmm (birthday cake).

• parakeetsrule
    Options

Ha! I saw a planner a few days ago that was called "I'm Dead, Now What?" So funny. I almost bought it. I still might but for now I'm using a printed out thing I found online.
  • sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    Options

Joining in as I must admit to a tendency towards gallows humour. My motto… you can laugh or cry and since crying isn’t going to do any good… 😉

Love the planner Parakeets. I had heard of the one that you mentioned Amontro - perhaps from Lita who would have fit in well on this thread. I think she had something she referred to as her death bag.. that came from another member…

• sf-cakes
    sf-cakes Member Posts: 524
    Options

Recently purchased a new Tempurpedic mattress, the one that's supposed to keep you cooler at night (very appealing given my wicked hot flashes). Nice salesman at the store said it would last for many years, and I popped up with, "ooh, it's my deathbed!" Which I found hilarious, but he did not laugh along with me.

• going2beatthis
    going2beatthis Member Posts: 115
    Options

Olma61 Love your water bottle saying.... "This girl runs on Herceptin and Perjeta"!!

• going2beatthis
    Options

Here are a couple of anecdotes I hope will make everyone laugh....

My birthday is the 19th, my husband's birthday is the 19th and we got married on the 19th. So I guess you can say 19 is my lucky number!!!

As those of us on Verzenio know, 81% report terrible diarrhea during the first month or so they start taking it. When my onc told me that, I told her that if 81% did, 19% did not and that I planned to be in that 19% who did not. AND I WAS! How did I manage to do that? First, I would wake up every morning during the first couple of months I was on Verzenio and tell myself that I was not going to get diarrhea today. And I didn't! Second, I drink about 100oz of water every day. I can report that I have been on been on the drug for 10 months now and have not gotten bad diarrhea. But, I spend a lot of time peeing!

When I was first diagnosed with MBC, my sister and I decided to wait to tell my 25 year old niece about my diagnosis. We wanted to see if I was responding to the treatment and because it was during Covid and we did not know when we would get to see her in person (she lives in CA and we are in FL), it would have to be over the phone. When I did get to talk with her, I told her that I planned to live at least another 19 years, to which my niece responded: "But Aunt Fay, that's longer than your life expectancy!"

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,577
    Options

goingtobeatthis, 19 is a lucky number for me too. I was born on February 19th and road go carts (car #19) on my 19th birthday 😁

• olma61
    Options

here is a more ‘gallows’ type anecdote. I have a thing for kitschy holiday decor and I used to go all out decorating (haunting) my yard for Halloween. So I have a bunch of stuff in a storage unit that doesn’t get used much anymore and my son came to help me clean out the unit.

There was a big styrofoam headstone with a light up skull on it and a life size zombie figure that was in a life size cardboard box. My son was doing his usual ‘ Mom why the hell do have all this stuff and what is this huge box’. Then he picked up the headstone and said what is this— so I said, when i drop dead that’s going to be my headstone and over there is my casket (the huge shipping box that the zombie was in). He didnt appreciate the humor. But I actually think a headstone with a lighted Halloween skull and some motion activated spooky noises would be pretty cool. Maybe I should start planning this. Cemeteries may not allow styrofoam but I could perhaps have one made in actual stone. Not too keen on getting buried in a Cardboard box though, but maybe I could get a Halloween casket made. Make funeral planning fun.

• cowgal
    cowgal Member Posts: 625
    Options

Love the gallows humor that you all have shared!

My sister (who is 4 years older and never faced a serious health illness in her life) got diagnosed with tonsil cancer that had spread to some lymph nodes and had to have surgery and radiation. I helped her with understanding scans, treatment, what is normal and just gave her general support. One day she asked me how I dealt with my stage 4 diagnosis. I told her one of my first thoughts was "Well...I probably don't need to worry about dying from Altzheimer's anymore."

• going2beatthis
    Options

To cowgirl: LOL

• parakeetsrule
    Options

Hahaha. One of the many thoughts I had after my diagnosis was "Well, I guess I don't have to worry about retirement planning and saving anymore. Nice!" And immediately went out and bought three expensive items of clothing. Lol.

Don't worry, I did not continue the spree and burn through all my money. But the little taste was fun!

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Good on you parakeets rule! I just retired but I had long planned to retire at 65 and since I spent ten years working with mbc, I hope to enjoy quite a few years not working with mbc. Regardless, I am going to enjoy my pension, generous retirement package and investments. I also bought several pricey handbags and buy whatever I want though I find myself less tempted by the material. Enjoy yourselves and let’s all treat ourselves well.

• dancemom
    dancemom Member Posts: 404
    Options

you guys are funny!

At my post-op last week, dr said I am overdue for my mammogram/sono. So I called to make an appointment and the earliest combined appointment is in late APRIL. I begged and said "Dr said I should have had it in December but I had a mastectomy last week. Can't you squeeze me in? It will be a short appointment because it's only one boob!"

Scheduler called me back 10 min later with an appointment in 3 weeks.

• going2beatthis
    Options

Sounds like my experience when I was trying to schedule an appointment with the gastroenterologist. Since I was a new patient they told me that the first available appointment was in 5 months. When I explained that I was MBC and asked if they could please put me on the wait list for a cancellation, she put me on hold and came back to say that there was an appointment available the next day. Needless to say, I thanked her and took it. Maybe MBC does have some perks!?

• olma61
    Options

I call it playing the cancer card, although it didn't get me out of jury duty like I thought it would.

I would rather have the perks ofa platinum Amex card, though