Aug 30, 2010 05:13PM lago wrote:
Make sure you get another opinion. I have the same diagnosis. I'm doing my surgery first (tomorrow) then chemo and probably radiation.
There is so much to find out. This site has great info. It took me about 3 weeks of constant searching.
My BS would only consider chemo before surgery if it had already spread to other areas of my body. He felt the problems using chemo before is:
1. You might not be staged properly since they won't know for sure the size of the tumor
2. They might not know if you had lymph node involvement if chemo zapped the cancer... again a staging issue
3. What if the chemo didn't work? Then you have gone several months with delayed (surgical) treament.
Remember staging is important for your treament plan. Getting chemo before can put you in a stage II when you are really a stage III. While I'm supportive of getting chemo before in some cases those of us that are borderline of stage II and III or higher might want to consider the above.
Granted the down side is I have no idea if chemo is going to work on me but then again HER2+ gets chemo anyway. Guess it's just a wait and see for us HER2+ gals.
Best of luck