We are 193,657 members in 81 forums discussing 143,546 topics.

Help with Abbreviations

All TopicsForum: HER2+ (Positive) Breast Cancer → Topic: TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Topic: TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Forum: HER2+ (Positive) Breast Cancer —

Testing, treatment, side effects, and more.

Posted on: Jan 31, 2011 06:30AM - edited Dec 10, 2012 07:55AM by TonLee

TonLee wrote:

This is primarily for people who find themselves with THREE +'s by their diagnosis. 

If you are new to breast cancer, please click on the link below and read.  It is "What I Wish I Knew At the Beginning of Treatment."

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topic/797454

IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIa, Grade 2, 4/4 nodes, ER+/PR+/HER2+, Skin Sparing uni-MX with TE, TCH, Rads Dx 9/14/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIIA, Grade 2, 4/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

Page 1053 of 1,102 (33,055 results)

Posts 31561 - 31590 (33,055 total)

Jul 15, 2017 09:57AM TampaBayBucsGirl wrote:

Yeah, I never knew how painful it was until it happened to me. I'm glad the massages are helping you with your sciatic pain. I wish I would have caught it early enough, but it appeared to be my herniated disc that was causing the problem. I wish I knew what caused it. I've never had a problem with my lower back or that nerve before being diagnosed with BC.

Dx 9/29/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 12/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/2/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 15, 2017 11:56AM HapB wrote:

tampa, it is pretty clear to me that Herceptin causes bone and nerve pain since I never once had it until i was treated.

Dx 4/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 6/9/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

Jul 15, 2017 12:38PM TampaBayBucsGirl wrote:

HapB,

It's still not that clear to me. I've been reading other forum topics of people who have the same symptoms. None of them have been taking Herceptin.

Someone at my office has a totally different cancer. She's having the same issue as me. It's her L5-S1 disc that is ruptured. I gave her the name of my neurosurgeon. She has an appointment with him in a couple of weeks. 

She went through chemotherapy for something else. Herceptin wasn't involved in her situation either.

Dx 9/29/2016, IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 10/25/2016 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel Targeted Therapy 12/2/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 12/2/2016 Taxol (paclitaxel) Hormonal Therapy 2/27/2017 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy 3/1/2017 Whole-breast: Breast

Jul 15, 2017 06:07PM Blownaway wrote:

HapB - Obviously, once every 3 months was not enough for me. I went downhill fast. Afterwards, I had 36 rads and have been on Tamoxifen for 2-1/2 yeqrs. Since I didn't complete any of the recommended treatment, other than the rads, I'm scared not to take the Tamoxifen.

Dx 3/31/2014, DCIS/IDC, Left, <1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 5/13/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Surgery 6/3/2014 Lumpectomy: Left Targeted Therapy 7/3/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 7/3/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Radiation Therapy 10/7/2014 3DCRT: Breast Hormonal Therapy 1/10/2015 Tamoxifen pills (Nolvadex, Apo-Tamox, Tamofen, Tamone) Radiation Therapy Breast

Jul 15, 2017 06:14PM HapB wrote:

blownaway, i don't think the insurance will pay for more. I am going to ask for a referral to a cardiologist now. I am in the high risk group for heart problems and it is scary.

Try not to worry that what you are doing is not enough. Have faith. We can only do the best we can wih what they have to offer us at the moment. In the meantime, I am researching all about diet and eliminating exposure to carcinogens in my diet and home. There are foods that will help our bodies fight the cancer by boosting our immune system and there are foods that we should not be putting into our bodies. We can control that! It just kills me to see or hear about cancer patients or survivors putting junk inot their bodies. One woman in the infusion center told me the other day that all she could eat was ice cream. OMG! Sugar while getting chemo. The infusion center serves cookies for snacks. Dear Lord!

We really need more education about what we are putting into our bodies that may be hurting us.

Dx 4/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 6/9/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Hormonal Therapy Radiation Therapy

Jul 15, 2017 08:01PM Del8 wrote:

HapB.... sometimes you have to eat what you can.... I know for me Lay's Potato's chips was the only thing that I could choke down and I've been drinking Country Time lemon aid.. Not something I normally eat ... but its that or lose too much weight..

My MO said during chemo she wasn't worried what I was eating as long as I got enough protein ... and fluids...

If ice cream is the only thing the woman can get down.... that's all she can do ... its high calorie and does have protein which she needs I'm betting ..and if she is having a lot diarrhea and nausea the sugar in the ice cream may help with her energy level ....

For me after chemo is a whole other ball game ... that's why I'm going to RD that specialize in cancer patients in Aug. ...
I already know how my eating habits are going to change.. just want her to fill in the blanks for me ....

But for right now..if its potato chips and lemon aid is all I can stomach then I'm going to eat it ...

Jul 15, 2017 08:14PM HapB wrote:

Denise, I understand that we do the best we can at the moment we are in. I never ate junk and still got cancer three times.....go figure. I do think putting sugar into our bodies during treatment is very, very harmful. Cancer cells love sugar. It is just counterproductive to try to fight the cancer cells while giving them the food they need to grow. I have done tons of research and plan to make lots of changes. Last time that I was on chemo, I had a nutrionist as part of the team. It was helpful and instructive. You can get protein that you need without sugar. Water with lemon is better than chemicals. Hey, we do what we can. I understand that more than anyone right now. It is just something we can control in a crazy treatment time.

Keep up the good fight!

Jul 15, 2017 08:53PM Del8 wrote:

Ladies,
My time here is done... not mad .. just need to step back and focus on me and not the net so much...
Already have ask the Mods to take me off..

If you are on FaceBook..look me up.

I wish everyone the best..
Mucho Love
Denise Tordoff

Jul 15, 2017 09:33PM BJI wrote:

Denise. Sorry to hear, but understand. Take care, prayers for you. Will miss your input and insight.

Bev Dx 4/11/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/1 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 4/25/2017 Lumpectomy: Right Radiation Therapy 5/7/2017 Balloon-catheter: Breast Chemotherapy 5/29/2017 Taxol (paclitaxel) Targeted Therapy 5/29/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab)

Jul 16, 2017 08:41AM bareclaws wrote:

Being judgemental about what others choose to eat is not a good idea, but never more so than when they're in the midst of chemotherapy. I ate and drank things during TCHP and AC that ordinarily wouldn't see the inside of my kitchen. If someone had called me out on that I would have flown at them with claws and fangs bared.

Jul 16, 2017 09:06AM Del8 wrote:

Thank you BJI

Look me up o FB tho :)

Blessings... and Healing

Jul 16, 2017 09:18AM - edited Jul 16, 2017 09:32AM by HapB

This Post was deleted by HapB.

Jul 16, 2017 10:56AM debiann wrote:

An optimistic study:

long term benefit of taxol and herceptin study

"I live knowing it will be ok when I'm not." Dx 3/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 4/3/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/8/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/8/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/29/2014 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 11/5/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 16, 2017 11:10AM HapB wrote:

Debiann, thank you very much for this! I was looking for data like this last week to round out my decision making process. I could not access the actual report with data. Did you happen to access the report itself? Thanks much

Jul 16, 2017 12:06PM - edited Jul 16, 2017 12:08PM by Lita19901

This Post was deleted by Lita19901.
Dx 6/24/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/21/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Jul 16, 2017 12:07PM Lita19901 wrote:

I am so new at the TP world that I have hesitated from becoming part of the recent kerfuffle concerning the role of sugar in cancer but I have to say I really don't get it.

Just as I was grateful to SpecialK's post on the importance of protein in the healing process I was equally grateful to HapB for pointing out how sugar can fuel cancer cells. I wasn't even thinking about the role of nutrition during cancer treatment because I have been too busy panicking and reading articles about HER2 treatment.

But what I put into my body is something I can try to control myself during this time when so much is out of my control. I'm not sure how successful I'll be as meals have taken a real hit since my diagnosis but now I am at least thinking about what I should be doing.

My bottom line is that I appreciate any knowledge I gain, from any source, without exception, so please keep it coming.

Dx 6/24/2017, DCIS/IDC, Left, 1cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/3 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Surgery 7/21/2017 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Sentinel

Jul 16, 2017 12:21PM ElaineTherese wrote:

Actually, the role of sugar in encouraging cancer has been much discussed on BCO.org. It is very controversial, and many BCO.org members consider it to be junk science. For example, one opponent of this view is ChiSandy, who has often written about the fallacy that "sugar feeds cancer." As she notes, "Now, nobody needs sugar, especially not as sucrose or fructose or from refined carbohydrates that become simple sugar when acted upon by the enzymes in saliva and the gut. Sugar is responsible for a whole host of ills, from Type 2 diabetes to insulin resistance to reactive hypoglycemia to fat storage and inhibition of fat burning. But sugar--in the form of glucose, which the body turns it into, fuels ALL cells, not just cancer cells."

As for me, I ate chocolate chip cookies during chemo and saw all of my active cancer wiped out by chemo. To each their own!

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/23/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/25/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/9/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Jul 16, 2017 12:27PM - edited Jul 16, 2017 12:29PM by HapB

This Post was deleted by HapB.

Jul 16, 2017 12:28PM - edited Jul 16, 2017 12:52PM by HapB

Thanks, Lita. As I said in my posts, I am learning about the role of diet and cancer and there is much that I need to change. This is my third time with cancer, and I never judge any person, but posted about the need for patient education on this topic so we can help ourselves. We all do the best we can at the moment that we are in, as I said in my post.

Here is a copy of a post that I had sent a friend here, if anyone is interested.

So here are the books that I have read so far about diet:

1) "Super Immunity, The Essential Nutirition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free"; by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.

2) "Eat to Live Cookbook"; by JoelFuhrman, M.D. ( great recipes)

3) The Healing Foods Cookbook, by Gary Null, Ph.D. ( really good recipes with pictures too! )

4) "The Cancer Recovery Plan, Maximise Your Cancer Treatment with This Proven NUtrition, Exercise, and Stress Reduction Program"; by D. Barry Boyd, M.D.

5) "The Cantin Ketogenic Diet, For Cancer, Type 1 Diabetes, & Other Ailments" by Elaine Cantin ( a little extreme, but may try it someday)

6.) " Anti- Cancer, a New Way of Life", by Dr. DAvid Servan- Schreiber ( he eventually died of his brain cancer.....but he did a lot of research)

I like Fuhrman's books and he also appears on PBS often.

I like the Healing Foods cookbook very much.

I bought all the books on Amazon, but the library probably has some of them.

There are also lots of websites that I will share with you another time! I bought a Nutribullet for juicing and will start that soon. First, I want to make sure all the Taxol is out of me so my body can handle raw veggies and fruits.

I think Fuhrman has a website. You could take a look.

My biggest takeaway from his books is that everyday we must include:

Greens, Onions,Mushrooms, Beans, Seeds and a salad a day. (GOMBS)

He has a great anticancer soup recipe that I like.

This is a good start.....it can get overwhelming. I have to boil down what works for me. The first step is ridding my diet of all carcinogens and junk food and mostly relying on a plant based diet as much as I can.

Jul 16, 2017 12:43PM Lita19901 wrote:

ElaineThere - It's not that I take everything/anything that is written here as fact, by any means, but posts about nutrition gave me food for thought, if you don't mind the pun. I'll read lots about the subject, draw my own conclusions, work out my own plan, and eat what I choose, but I'll still be grateful to SpecialK and HepB for opening this door for me.

Jul 16, 2017 12:45PM Lita19901 wrote:

HapB - thanks for the resource list!

Jul 16, 2017 02:05PM debiann wrote:

HapB, no I didn't read the actual report, just viewed the video via Cancer Network - Journal of Oncology.

"I live knowing it will be ok when I'm not." Dx 3/2014, IDC, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 3, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ Surgery 4/3/2014 Lumpectomy: Left; Lymph node removal: Left, Sentinel Targeted Therapy 5/8/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 5/8/2014 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Surgery 9/29/2014 Mastectomy: Left, Right; Reconstruction (left): DIEP flap; Reconstruction (right): DIEP flap Hormonal Therapy 11/5/2014 Arimidex (anastrozole)

Jul 16, 2017 05:11PM deni1661 wrote:

Hapb - I wish you peace with whatever decision you make regarding treatment. I agree with Shelabela and others that this decision is a tough one we each have to make but in the end it is truly up to each individual. For me personally, I learned to rely on my doctors instead of the tons of information available online or the advice from well-meaning friends and family. Listen to your gut and more importantly pray to God for guidance. My faith in God has helped me tremendously in not trying to control the future. I do not know if or when my cancer will come back but I have learned not to waste precious time or energy worrying about tomorrow. I enjoy each day as it comes and turn my worry over to God. I rarely think about recurrence and focus instead on all that I have to be thankful for today!

In response to nutrition, I gave up just about all food when I was first diagnosed because I was so scared that whatever I put in my mouth would make the cancer grow and spread. I had terrible eating habits and drank what I now realize was way to many cocktails! I read everything possible about cancer and nutrition but in the end decided that an 80/20 rule works best for me. I strive for eating a plant based, no dairy-beef-sugar-gluten-alcohol-processed meats-artificial foods diet 80% of the time and allow myself "treats" 20% of the time. I find desserts, ice cream, donuts, etc. too sweet now and I get a stomach ache when I eat beef or dairy. That helps me stay away from the bad stuff lol. My son told me something that has stuck with me more than anything I read about cancer and nutrition: my old eating and drinking habits plus a high stress job and lifestyle created the perfect environment in my body for cancer to grow. Making any changes to your diet and lifestyle has to produce the opposite effect, right? I lost 40 pounds and kept it off and eliminated stress from my life. I don't want to be so strict with my diet that I can't enjoy life otherwise what's the point. This is what works for me and I have gotten rid of the anxiety that comes with "will eating this cause my cancer to grow or come back?".

Lita, I agree with your approach that you'll draw your own conclusions and come up with your own plan for nutrition - we all have to make choices that are right for us. I am always reading articles or books on cancer nutrition because it can't hurt to expand our learning and try new things that might boost our immunity. Hapb - thanks for the list of books!

Dx 7/25/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 9/6/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/7/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/27/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Surgery 5/9/2017 Reconstruction (left): Stacked DIEP flap

Jul 16, 2017 05:32PM - edited Jul 16, 2017 05:37PM by HapB

deni, thanks for the thoughtful response. I am trying to learn about nutrition, not to add stress to my life, but to make my body feel and function better and perhaps to strengthen my body's immune system. I have been living with 3 different cancers, supposedly unrelated. I agree that the stressful lifestyle I had as a divorced working Mom in a stressful career and trying to do it all perfectly, eating on the run , sleeping very little, and no time for socail life made my body into the perfect environment for cancer to grow. Not good. I looked good and functioned well, but it catches up. I am enjoying reading about nutrition and rethinking what should be part of a healthy diet. I think that the 80/20 rule is good, but for me right now, I need to eliminate what I am convinced is not good for cancer patients. When I feel well again and resume exercise, I can add a few more healthy carbs. I do need to learn about nutrition and I think growing up in the 50's we were fed things that kids today would never be fed. There is much more knowledge out there and the younger generation is much more aware of what they put into their bodies than I was. There is a lotthat I need to learn and want to learn and I don't find that stressful. I guess some people do. I am happy to embrace change if it will help me.

Jul 16, 2017 05:39PM - edited Jul 16, 2017 05:41PM by deni1661

This Post was deleted by deni1661.
Dx 7/25/2016, IDC, Left, 2cm, Stage IA, Grade 2, 0/2 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (FISH) Targeted Therapy 9/6/2016 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Hormonal Therapy 9/7/2016 Arimidex (anastrozole) Targeted Therapy 9/7/2016 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Surgery 4/27/2017 Lymph node removal: Sentinel; Mastectomy: Left Surgery 5/9/2017 Reconstruction (left): Stacked DIEP flap

Jul 16, 2017 05:50PM deni1661 wrote:

Hapb - I agree, I find it fun to learn about nutrition too. Learning new things is always a good thing and I'm learning so much through this community. It sounds like we've been living the same lifestyle with stressful jobs, little sleep, and trying to do way more than we should. Unfortunately I got caught up in all the convenience foods and terrible eating habits as a divorced working mom. I can't believe the crap I fed to my kids. Thankfully my son is a chef and my daughter eats only organic food so they changed their eating habits for the good. Now it's my turn! I feel so much better since I've changed what I eat and honestly, whenever I eat the treat foods I don't feel as good.

Jul 17, 2017 01:27PM Soxfan75 wrote:

Hi Ladies - I don't post here often, but I've been following the thread for quite some time. I just finished my last chemo 11 days ago and I noticed today that I have a lump above my collar bone. I had four lymph nodes removed back in February and two of them came back positive for microscopic amounts of cancer. Is it possible for the cancer to have spread to the superclavicular node and be the size of a walnut in just five months? I've also experienced some lightheadedness in the last three weeks that seems to be more pronounced when I'm tired or when I move my head too quickly. It was worse 2-3 weeks ago and seems to have gotten better. I'm not sure if the two are related, but thought I'd include it. Any insight is appreciated.

I'm waiting for the doctor's to return my call, but the waiting is excruciating. I've never been so scared.

Dx 1/13/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 2/5/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 3/22/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/23/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 3/23/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2017 Hormonal Therapy

Jul 17, 2017 01:36PM HapB wrote:

Hi Sox, I am glad you called your doctor. It is much more likely that you have a little infection or something that your body is fighting and the gland is swollen. Try not to worry. You are just finishing up chemo and it is going to take quite some time before your body normalizes. It is so hard not to worry about cancer spreading , but as time goes by I hope that the fear subsides. Remember the chemo is cumulative and your body is inflammed right now and will be for a few more weeks at least

Jul 17, 2017 02:21PM Soxfan75 wrote:

Thanks HapB. My temp is 99.0 so maybe you're right and I do have an infection somewhere. I have a CT scan scheduled for Thursday as part of my treatment planning for radiation. Will that tell them anything?

Dx 1/13/2017, IDC, Right, 1cm, Grade 2, 2/4 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+ (IHC) Surgery 2/5/2017 Mastectomy: Right; Prophylactic mastectomy: Left; Reconstruction (left): Tissue expander placement; Reconstruction (right): Tissue expander placement Targeted Therapy 3/22/2017 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Chemotherapy 3/23/2017 Carboplatin (Paraplatin), Taxotere (docetaxel) Targeted Therapy 3/23/2017 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Radiation Therapy 8/13/2017 Hormonal Therapy

Jul 17, 2017 02:34PM ElaineTherese wrote:

Soxfan75,

Yes, your CT scan could be informative. Ask your radiation oncologist about that particular spot. In the meantime, it's a good thing you called your doctor. HapB is right that it could be an infection, and having a 99 degree temperature could be a sign of that. But, it never hurts to be vigilant and to keep your doctor informed!

DX IDC June 28, 2014, 5 cm., 1 node tested positive (fine needle biopsy); 0/20 after neoadjuvant chemo + ALND; Grade 3; ER+ PR+ HER2+ Neoadjuvant chemotherapy starting 7/23/14 ACX 4, Taxol X 12, Perjeta X 4; Herceptin: one year Chemotherapy 7/23/2014 AC Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Perjeta (pertuzumab) Targeted Therapy 9/17/2014 Herceptin (trastuzumab) Chemotherapy 9/17/2014 Taxol (paclitaxel) Surgery 1/12/2015 Lumpectomy: Right; Lymph node removal: Right, Underarm/Axillary Hormonal Therapy 2/25/2015 Aromasin (exemestane), Zoladex (goserelin) Radiation Therapy 3/9/2015 Breast, Lymph nodes

Page 1053 of 1,102 (33,055 results)